Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Case Western is kinda trying to do by itself, what Pitt and CMU are doing combined. Case and CMU are comparable universities, but Cleveland State in no way compares with Pitt. There is no equivalent to Duquesne in Cleveland, nor to Pittsburgh's smaller schools such as Bobby Mo, Chatham, Carlow, and Point Park.
I guess being a CMU student makes me biased, but I disagree with the Case/CMU comparison. Except for the medical school (which CMU doesn't have), Case doesn't even begin to have the same reputation and recognition in academic circles as CMU does. It's not that it's a bad school, I just can't think of a field other than medicine where Case can be said to be one of the top, say, 20 universities in the US. I'm not even sure that Case beats Pitt at the graduate level (although a Case undergraduate degree is probably better than a Pitt undergrad degree). On the other hand, CMU can claim to be in that group in computer science, engineering, business, economics, psychology, fine arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:11 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
My Jason works a lot in Cleveland to open new stores in that market and he thinks that the actual city and downtown Pittsburgh is more beautiful than Cleveland and that Pittsburgh has more character and uniqueness.

However, he says that Cleveland has much better shopping and way more beautiful suburbs. He goes on and on about this place called Legacy Village.

I agree 100%... Sums up my thoughts exactly... When comparing the actual cities, Pittsburgh is definitely more unique. In my opinion Pittsburgh has a much wider variety of neighborhoods and architectural styles than Cleveland. And more of Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are still intact. Large sections of Cleveland are blighted and run down, whereas Pittsburgh has "pockets" of decay. While both cities have an interesting physical location, I think Pittsburgh has capitalized more on its geography. In Pittsburgh there is Point State Park and walking trails along the rivers, but Cleveland has yet to really make its lakefront the great place it could be. Also, I believe Pittsburgh's hills afford greater opportunities to view the amazing skyline. Cleveland's skyline is okay, but there is no Mount Washington.

I don't believe the city of Cleveland has a collection of beautiful neighborhoods like Shady Side/Squirrel Hill/Point Breeze/Regent Square. At least I've never seen any. And definitely nothing like the South Side or the Mexican War Streets. The "stunning" neighborhoods of Cleveland are outside of the city limits: places like Shaker Heights. My list of interesting, beautiful Cleveland suburbs could go on and on, and that's coming from someone who usually doesn't care much for suburbia. I spent a summer doing window replacements in the area, so I saw many older, established, suburban neighborhoods, and I have to say that Cleveland trumps Pittsburgh when it comes to suburbs. I have yet to see a Pittsburgh suburb that I found extremely appealing. And yes, I've been to Mt Lebanon!

I'm going to add a picture that I think is appropriate to this thread. This sign is on the entrance ramp to the OH turnpike in Boardman, Ohio, and is mostly seen by Youngstown area residents escaping to the "big city", whichever one that might be. To me, the sign is almost like a question. It's a decision. Which way will I go? For me, the answer is obvious. "Go East, young man!"

Old 09-04-2007, 01:18 AM

9 posts, read 29,735 times
If I may jump in here , I live in Happy Valley and have traveled to Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I find that Cleveland is easier to get around than Pittsburgh is. When I was just out of school many years ago and where I worked had to take the first week of july off for vacation I would travel to Cleveland, did I say my uncle lives there. He lives in a beautiful area of University Heights. I like the easy access to downtown,shopping,ball parks,etc,etc. I do have to admit I haven't been to Pittsburgh as many times as I've been to Cleveland to really compare the two but have learned enough about the two. This past July I took my family out there for their first time and have to say if it wasn't for the LONG WINTER'S & SNOW we wouldn't have come home ( I'm the one with the snow problem ). I do have to admit that Ohio take's better care of their roads than we do. I guess I could go on and on but may add more later.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:47 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
To me, the sign is almost like a question. It's a decision. Which way will I go? For me, the answer is obvious. "Go East, young man!"
Very clever! I liked that, LOL. And Jason said a lot of the same exact things you did.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
(although a Case undergraduate degree is probably better than a Pitt undergrad degree)

WHAT??? LOL! Really, I disagree.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
boardmanite, despite the suburbs being nicer in outer Cleveland, Jason said that it was a great deal of urban sprawl and they were just beautiful as in new and laid out well and planned. He said they had very little character, they were just plain old "beautiful." Which he likes, personally. He likes new and fresh and planned.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
Cleveland seem's to have more ties to New York while Pittsburgh anchors the appalachian region
Pittsburgh is tied more to NYC as Cleveland is more aligned with Chicago.

The appalachian thing really means nothing more than the city is hilly.

Economically, while Cleveland is no stranger to steel, it is also an auto town and has been suffering along with the American auto industry. It seems like the auto industry has been struggling significantly this decade and that has hurt cities like Cleveland. Pittsburgh has long moved from steel. If it weren’t for the constricting demographic fallout from the 80’s, Pittsburgh economy would have more speed.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Speaking of colleges, is there any city other than NYC, Boston, LA, and Chicago that can top Pittsburgh's collection of schools?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Probably. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Denver's many colleges and universities range in age and study programs. The city boasts Roman Catholic and Jewish institutions, as well as a well-respected health sciences school. In addition to those schools within the city, there are a number of schools located throughout the surrounding metro area.

Denver is home to many institutions for higher learning including the following:

The Ritchie Center at University of DenverUniversity of Denver
Metropolitan State College of Denver
University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center
Johnson & Wales University
Regis University
Community College of Denver
Heritage College
National American University
Yeshiva Toras Chaim Talmudical Seminary
Iliff School of Theology
Denver Seminary
The Art Institute of Colorado
Lincoln College of Technology FKA Denver Automotive and Diesel College
Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design
The College For Financial Planning
Colorado Technical University
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Higher_Education_Institutions_in_Denver%2C _Colorado"
Plus, within the metro area:

Colorado Christian College (Lakewood)
Colorado School of Mines (Golden)
University of Colorado at Boulder (Boulder)

Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 AM

214 posts, read 241,522 times
are some of those schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh