Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 PM

32,625 posts, read 77,775,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Do people cycle to work during the winter months there? Or is that mostly just a summertime thing?
People cycle here year-round. I'm inclined to agree with BrianTH that any congestion issues arising from this bill may be mitigated once more people feel more comfortable cycling (leading to fewer cars on the road).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,258,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
People cycle here year-round. I'm inclined to agree with BrianTH that any congestion issues arising from this bill may be mitigated once more people feel more comfortable cycling (leading to fewer cars on the road).
We're never going to have so few cars on the road that it will offset the congestion resulting from having to drive as slowly as bikes.

We need bike lanes and other infrastructure for bikes, not this crazy law.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM

567 posts, read 1,164,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I wouldn't say that--it is more treating them like they have a right to a narrow lane in the same sense that cars currently have a right to a full lane. I might note the bill also imposes a new duty on slow-moving bicycles to keep right, subject to some exceptions (e.g., when turning left), and a general duty to "use reasonable efforts so as not to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic."
I think this is effectively granting bikes the full lane in a road in most cases. If a lane is 12' (which is a typical, only barely wide lane; many in the City are 10'), and a bike even at the very edge of that road consumes 4', and a car is 8', this car will be riding the very edge of his lane if that is even possible.

Of course I think bikes should be much more encouraged in not only Pittsburgh, but in all cities, and that cars have been given far too much precedence. So despite most often traveling by car myself (in addition to sometimes bike and rarely transit), I can't really truthfully complain too much.

Last edited by ctoocheck; 01-23-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Well, Minneapolis and Boulder are considered some of the most bike friendly cities in the US, so clearly a cold climate isn't a deterrent. Seattle is ranked #4, so rain isn't a problem, and San Francisco is ranked #6, so hills aren't a problem either.
c.f. an enormous number of cities in northern Europe...

Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 PM

32,625 posts, read 77,775,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We're never going to have so few cars on the road that it will offset the congestion resulting from having to drive as slowly as bikes.

We need bike lanes and other infrastructure for bikes, not this crazy law.
More Infrastructure = More $$$

More $$$ = More Taxes

Pittsburghers Don't Like Taxes

End Result === No New Infrastructure

Consider me crazy, but I actually wouldn't mind being taxed nearly to death my entire life if it meant I could have a higher quality-of-life overall as a result. You only live once, so why not try to live in as near of a Utopian society as possible?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
More Infrastructure = More $$$

More $$$ = More Taxes

Pittsburghers Don't Like Taxes

End Result === No New Infrastructure
Unfortunately what people don't realize is:

Bike infrastructure = $
Improving or even maintaining car infrastructure = $$$$

More bikes = less taxes
More bikes = better health
Better health = less $$$
More bikes = less $$$
etc.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,081,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just removing a small percentage of cars from a route can have very significant congestion benefits.

And of course the law doesn't require that cars never pass slow-moving bikes--it just regularizes the rules for doing so, and also requires that slow-moving bikes stay right to allow passing. In fact, I'd suggest in these hypothetical scenarios (non-highways with all lanes in both directions trying to carry uninterrupted traffic), bikes are a minimal concern compared to the congestion that will arise from cars interactions, traffic signals, and so on. But I don't see people arguing we should allow anarchy among cars in those scenarios--we recognize that safe, regulated driving is still necessary. This "crazy" law merely applies the same sentiment to bikes as well.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,145,986 times
If people cycle year round, then a heavy snow storm could add an additional challenge to a law like this. Plowed roads are often fairly narrow, since they accommodate snow being pushed to the side. In some ways I like the idea of this bill, but it doesn't sound practical to me. I agree it's good for bringing attention to a problem but is that the purpose of passing a bill?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,081,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
I think this is effectively granting bikes the full lane in a road in most cases. If a lane is 12' (which is a typical, only barely wide lane; many in the City are 10'), and a bike even at the very edge of that road consumes 4', and a car is 8', this car will be riding the very edge of his lane if that is even possible.
It depends on the scenario. Many streets will have a parking lane or shoulder such that the bike could get over even further right than the edge of the travel lane. And again cars can intrude on the opposite lane briefly to pass a bike even in no-passing zones.

I think people may be underestimating how useful that is. No-passing zones are laid out with the assumption that a car is trying to pass another car which is moving nearly as fast. Getting around a car taking up most of the travel lane in such a scenario and then getting fully back into the travel lane takes a lot of time, so they need to be cautious about no-passing zones. But just having to pass a slow-moving bike with only a partial out-and-back-in should take much less time, which is why they can allow it in no-passing zones.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,145,986 times
Quote:

Consider me crazy, but I actually wouldn't mind being taxed nearly to death my entire life if it meant I could have a higher quality-of-life overall as a result. You only live once, so why not try to live in as near of a Utopian society as possible?
Who decides which features make a society utopian? What about the people who move away to other metro areas that have lower taxes--would you be willing to make up the difference after they leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh