Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,302,880 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Fairfax County, VA, a suburb of Washington, DC, I really enjoyed regularly checking the blog DCmud, which discussed the progress of real estate development projects throughout the metropolitan area. Here is a link to that site:

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC

In addition, I also enjoyed "GreaterGreaterWashington", another blog that focused on transit/transportation, smart growth, historic preservation, etc.

Greater Greater Washington

I haven't been able to find any comparable sites profiling what's occurring on similar fronts in the Metroplitan Pittsburgh area. Do such sites exist while I am woefully unaware of them? I figure BrianTH or Gnutella, for certain, would be the two most likely to know of any.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,889,722 times
We're not supposed to discuss competitor sites, but I don't think these qualify . . .

PopCity updates weekly and has a section on development news.

The skyscraperpage forums have a Pittsburgh Development Rundown II thread which discusses development news. The first Rundown thread got to over 10,000 posts.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Oh, and the Pittsburgh Business Times is pretty heavy on development news.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,302,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We're not supposed to discuss competitor sites, but I don't think these qualify . . .

PopCity updates weekly and has a section on development news.

The skyscraperpage forums have a Pittsburgh Development Rundown II thread which discusses development news. The first Rundown thread got to over 10,000 posts.
Quote:
Oh, and the Pittsburgh Business Times is pretty heavy on development news.
Thank you! This is exactly the type of information I was seeking. I don't believe a section of a business newspaper or a local blog really qualify as direct competition to City-Data. None of the resources you provided can really compare to the two DC-area ones I used to frequent; however, they can probably satiate my hunger for this sort of information in the Pittsburgh are for the time-being.

Maybe I should start my own?!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,601,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you! This is exactly the type of information I was seeking. I don't believe a section of a business newspaper or a local blog really qualify as direct competition to City-Data. None of the resources you provided can really compare to the two DC-area ones I used to frequent; however, they can probably satiate my hunger for this sort of information in the Pittsburgh are for the time-being.

Maybe I should start my own?!
I think Brian meant that links to blogs aren't supposed to be posted here.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM

We used to have more blogs along those lines, but they seem to be shutting down faster than they are starting these days.

Chris Briem's Nullspace is great on a variety of local issues, but isn't focused specifically on development issues (e.g., recently it has had a lot of assessment coverage, but those contributions were invaluable to understanding what was going on).

Jim Russell's Burgh Diaspora is also great, with the same caveat (it is more focused on population and migration issues, although it discusses some relevant economic news).

Bram Reichbaum's The Pittsburgh Comet is more of a local politics blog, and has been a little infrequent lately, but you might find it interesting.

Harold Miller's Pittsburgh's Future sometimes has very interesting stuff, but it is VERY infrequent.

So yeah, off hand I can't really think of a good local blog with that particular focus . . . and I agree this seems like a worthy niche to fill.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I think Brian meant that links to blogs aren't supposed to be posted here.
The TOS state:

Quote:
Links to competitors' sites are treated differently than other links and are likely to be deleted.
I'm not really sure who they count as competitors, but that was the rule I was trying to respect. Obviously they don't generally have a problem with links to other sources, which makes sense since usually those are complementary and not competitive.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,967,879 times
Quote:
So yeah, off hand I can't really think of a good local blog with that particular focus . . . and I agree this seems like a worthy niche to fill.
If there's a niche that needs to be filled, it would be nice to see someone from this forum take on that challenge. SCR, since you have already defined what you are seeking, maybe this is a good project for you.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,601,265 times
Quote:
The TOS state:

I'm not really sure who they count as competitors, but that was the rule I was trying to respect. Obviously they don't generally have a problem with links to other sources, which makes sense since usually those are complementary and not competitive.
One one of the other CD boards (the Televeision board to be exact) I posted a link to what I wasn't aware was a blog about a TV series. The mods cut it out.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,695,587 times
Both links are fine, they'd be considered competitors if they provided info similar to what can be found on city-data (not the forum).
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh