Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:32 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Reviving this thread to ask if everything stated above regarding the safety of these areas still applies in 2014. Ventana Hills is nominally gated, which made me wonder whom they are trying to keep out. The surrounding area seems fine, but I was wondering if there are sketchy neighborhoods nearby that might filter over in terms of property crimes and such.
There's nothing sketchy about the area around Ventana Hills. It's got some nice, typical middle/upper middle class suburban housing developments around it and it's near the Mountour Trail and the Mall at Robinson. It's pretty much isolated by itself up on a hill, not sure why they'd even need a gate. Probably just to keep the appearance of "luxury". I live in North Fayette and there's really not much crime to be concerned about here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
There's nothing sketchy about the area around Ventana Hills. It's got some nice, typical middle/upper middle class suburban housing developments around it and it's near the Mountour Trail and the Mall at Robinson. It's pretty much isolated by itself up on a hill, not sure why they'd even need a gate. Probably just to keep the appearance of "luxury". I live in North Fayette and there's really not much crime to be concerned about here.
Thank you.

The barrier arm at the entrance to Ventana really is silly. It does nothing to impede foot access, and if a potential malefactor were sufficiently inclined, it probably wouldn't take much effort to knock down.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Quote:
Reviving this thread to ask if everything stated above regarding the safety of these areas still applies in 2014. Ventana Hills is nominally gated, which made me wonder whom they are trying to keep out. The surrounding area seems fine, but I was wondering if there are sketchy neighborhoods nearby that might filter over in terms of property crimes and such.
Gated communities are rare in the Pittsburgh metro and are pretty much uniformly just for show, rather than any actual effort to keep undesirable elements out, when they do exist.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,662 times
Quote:
Thank you. The barrier arm at the entrance to Ventana really is silly. It does nothing to impede foot access, and if a potential malefactor were sufficiently inclined, it probably wouldn't take much effort to knock down.
It is basically there so they can say that they're a gated community. As Mugatu stated, the surrounding areas are upper-middle-class housing plans and the Robinson shopping and dining areas. Ventana Hills is located on a hill and off a woodsy (wooded) road, so the whole area is not easily accessible by foot.

EDIT: I guess it's accessible by foot if you're coming from The Montour Trail. But, I have not heard of any crimes in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh