Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM

13 posts, read 20,802 times

Advertisements

It looks like my husband will be getting a job that will relocate us outside of Pittsburgh. I have been scouring the internet and cannot find newer apartments nearby at all. . . everything looks pretty old. Not knowing the area (at all), can anyone recommend any high-end apartments?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Look in Sewickley, Franklin Park or Robinson.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrick510 View Post
It looks like my husband will be getting a job that will relocate us outside of Pittsburgh. I have been scouring the internet and cannot find newer apartments nearby at all. . . everything looks pretty old. Not knowing the area (at all), can anyone recommend any high-end apartments?

Thank you!
Near Coraopolis can be misleading, because that zip code covers a large area that that is vastly different than the town of Coraopolis. Coraopolis and luxury are two words that usually would not be put together. Moon on the other hand has several nice areas. Expand your range to Robinson and Sewickley, you'll find better places as well. Ventana Hills might fit your needs.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM

Smile Re:

We are in our late twenties and plan on having children in the next few years, if that helps. We are willing to commute 20-30 minutes and are huge foodies!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
What is your price range though? Is it possible you are expecting too much for a given price? Apartments were not overbuilt here and as such rent is high because occupancy is very high around 98-99% generally. For anything approaching luxury you'll be into around $1000/month or so even for a 1BR.

The foodiest destinations are mostly in the city so you could consider living there, although a commute to something with a Corapolis address (Coroapolis/Robinson/Moon, which is west of downtown towards the airport) wouldn't be so much fun from the city.

There's a somewhat newer (I think about 10-12 years old) purportedly luxury-ish complex kind of in the middle of nothing in the north called Bear Run Village. By taking Mt Nebo Rd over to I-79 from there, the commute would be fairly reasonable I would think, under 30 to wherever it is you're needing to get. Not sure if this complex is technically in Franklin Park or Ohio Township, but that would only matter much if you're still there and needing to put a kid into school. That'll be several years in the future still. This is also a pretty easy drive to downtown.

I don't think Sewickley area has any newer apartments really. If you go digging for individual rentals that are made out of old houses or small buildings you might find a nicely renovated one.

Ventana Hills was another one that came to mind, I think that's in that same age range, 10-15 years old. Close to things in Robinson but awkward to get to city.

Taylor Ridge in Franklin Park is off I-79, that could work, this is even newer as I recall, within the last 5 years or so. Straight drive down the freeway to city, but it's about 15 miles from there. All of these put you pretty much in a "drive to everything" mode for what that's worth. If that's not what you want you'll have to look for small buildings rather than large complexes and target your search a little differently to places like Sewickley where there's an actual town. (To confuse things even more, Taylor Ridge is in an area where the address is Sewickley, but it's nowhere near the actual town.)

Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Waterford Landing in Moon, Ventana Hills in Robinson, Highlands at Montour Run in North Fayette.

As huge foodies, most of your options on this side of town are going to be chains in the Robinson shopping areas. However, there are some good, locally-owned restaurants sparced throughout Moon, Sewickley, and Coraopolis. The best (or at least most interesting) food establishments fall within the city neighborhoods, IMO.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Waterford Landing in Moon, Ventana Hills in Robinson, Highlands at Montour Run in North Fayette.
The Highlands have been under new management for the last year or so, and I've heard many of the original residents began moving out. May be an iffy proposition nowadays. If you want a temporary lease til you get to know the area, may not be bad.
One great thing about it, it's right on the Montour Trail.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Default Re:

Thank you guys for the options. I have no info about the area so if any of these areas are not so safe, I would have no way of knowing! The two apartments that seem to be the best fit for us are Ventana Hills and Highlands at Montour Run.

We are looking for a two bedroom apartment and can spend up to $1300.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
There's nowhere out there that's not safe. The actual downtown Corapolis is kinda run down though, as are a few other areas. These will make for not finding apartments to your liking. But given what you are looking for you won't find it in an unsafe area anyway. Unsafe area does not mix with renovated/lux apartment.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Reviving this thread to ask if everything stated above regarding the safety of these areas still applies in 2014. Ventana Hills is nominally gated, which made me wonder whom they are trying to keep out. The surrounding area seems fine, but I was wondering if there are sketchy neighborhoods nearby that might filter over in terms of property crimes and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh