Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:26 PM

53 posts, read 124,429 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are relatively new to the area so I'm wondering about this situation that I have been witness to many times in the past few months.

Are the right-turn light on intersections not to be taken seriously? Where I come from (Canada), we hardly have any right-turn lights and usually, if the coast is clear, you can make a right turn on a red light. However, in Pittsburgh people don't seem to be paying these signals much attention. I always wait for it to turn green but I feel guilty that I am holding everyone back. Everyone else seems not to care. What gives?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
If it's not signed as No Turn On Red, you can turn right while it's red, after you stop, assuming nothing is coming of course. Within the city proper there are a fair number of intersections signed not to turn on red.

Some places within the city have No Turn On Red signage that's only valid certain hours of the day and sometimes only weekdays for those hours. The signs are marked as such.

That said, it's not required to turn right on red, and nobody should be forcing you. But typically if it's a spot where turning right on red would be normal, cars behind will remind you to go if you don't.

You also have to watch for the protected lefts (with green arrow left signal) coming from the other side if you're going to turn while it's red.

The reason they use the green arrows for RIGHT turns in some places is to make it clear that it's okay to go right without stopping, even though the traffic going straight must remain stopped. But the presence of that sort of signal does not alone indicate that it is illegal to turn right on red there.

Does that make sense?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
There are too many 'NO TURN ON RED' signs in Pittsburgh. They're responsible for half the backed-up traffic on the surface streets.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Making a right turn on red is perfectly copasetic, unless a sign indicates otherwise , in the Commonwealth.

Same with making a left turn on red from a one way street to another one way street.

But you do need to stop and be careful when you do it- wouldn't want to cause an accident.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
There are too many 'NO TURN ON RED' signs in Pittsburgh. They're responsible for half the backed-up traffic on the surface streets.
I disagree. Too many blind intersections where you can't see if its safe to make that turn.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 PM

53 posts, read 124,429 times
Great. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
I agree with this. And it makes some people too timid to turn right on red even where there is not a "no turn on red" sign. Kind of the same phenomenon with stop signs on on-ramps. Some people think they need to stop on EVERY on-ramp because they are conditioned to.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I usually pass the car that is stopped at the red light and make my right turn in front of them. That way I am not rude to the driver and don't beep my horn at them. Sometimes they get upset that I pass them on the left and make a right turn. That is always confusing.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:31 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
I agree half of them are pointless. I can see and make a turn on red perfectly fine without fearing my safety at all on half of the intersections you can't.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
If it's not signed as No Turn On Red, you can turn right while it's red, after you stop, assuming nothing is coming of course. Within the city proper there are a fair number of intersections signed not to turn on red.

Some places within the city have No Turn On Red signage that's only valid certain hours of the day and sometimes only weekdays for those hours. The signs are marked as such.

That said, it's not required to turn right on red, and nobody should be forcing you. But typically if it's a spot where turning right on red would be normal, cars behind will remind you to go if you don't.

You also have to watch for the protected lefts (with green arrow left signal) coming from the other side if you're going to turn while it's red.

The reason they use the green arrows for RIGHT turns in some places is to make it clear that it's okay to go right without stopping, even though the traffic going straight must remain stopped. But the presence of that sort of signal does not alone indicate that it is illegal to turn right on red there.

Does that make sense?
I just wish more people could comprehend the fact that just because right turn on red is permitted doesn't mean they have the right of way. I've almost been hit dozens of times by people who pull out right in front of me, sometimes without even stopping. One guy had the never to give me the finger when I slammed on my horn. Those are the times I wish I was driving a tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh