Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 11,027 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can someone recommend a good Graphic Design program in a 4 year college that is up front about all the fees etc., meaning a school that is not a car dealership!

Also, one that has the "Online' option as well?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 17,834 times
I am not sure about fees and whatnot, but I know a few folks that have gone to LaRoche College for Graphic Design, located in the north hills area, including my cousin. I believe it is one of the programs that the college is geared towards. I go there from time to time to visit friends and from what I see, it's a nice place. Give it a gander.

Graphic & Communication Design ~ School of the Professions @ La Roche College

Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,140,572 times
But remember, it is YOUR portfolio and not the school that will get you the job. Do as much work outside or at organizations at school as you can and have your body of work to show to an employer.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Media Arts at Robert Morris... don't know about online though.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,904,755 times
Carnegie Mellon has a Design department: Design at Carnegie Mellon > School of Design > Carnegie Mellon University

Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,699,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But remember, it is YOUR portfolio and not the school that will get you the job. Do as much work outside or at organizations at school as you can and have your body of work to show to an employer.
I can't stress this enough. And GET an internship. Get as many internships as you can. This is how companies hire designers these days.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 AM

Thank you for all the replies. Greatly appreciated.

I haven't been able to score any internships; I don't know who facilitates that, or where to find them. I finished my first year with one school, but now I need to find another school because this one did not disclose to me some of the costs in the beginning, and now I am not able to continue there. (Really upset about it) I am also an off campus student, so I don't need housing costs included in tuition.

Are there any community colleges around PGH that offer graphic design bachelors? I am not able to secure private loans, nor want too, so I am trying to find a school that won't force me into those. Are there any schools where you can pay as you go? I am sorry for the silly questions, I haven't been in college before due to my prior career right out of HS...so, now 20 years later this is all pretty confusing funding wise. I am not getting anywhere with the financial aid people, they are pushing me into private loans, and I have kids and so on, so this is not an option. (PS 1st year was covered by the Pell Grant & Stafford loans)

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I can't stress this enough. And GET an internship. Get as many internships as you can. This is how companies hire designers these days.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,723,660 times
Personally, if I were you I would definitely steer away from graphic design at your age. Employers view them as a dime a dozen in Pittsburgh (even though a GOOD graphic designer is far from that) and they only way people make a livable wage is by free lancing on top of a full time job. Not to mention all the hip tech companies are going to go after those young dudes with stars in their eyes first and view older people getting their start as damaged goods (ageism is very real and hushed in the American workforce).

That's just my opinion of course but I've known quite a few graphic designers who work at gas stations and grocery stores with mountains of debt. That market is so extremely saturated that your best bet is to look elsewhere.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM

...and so are a lot of other creative fields. We have to thank the overall "lack of respect" for the arts. In a football only society you cannot expect that people will appreciate artistic value, or creatives anymore than their burgers!

That said, I don't think this is what I asked though. You can't tell me what to do for a living, and I am not sure what "at your age means"?? do you know how old I am? do you know me personally? have you seen my portfolio? just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Personally, if I were you I would definitely steer away from graphic design at your age. Employers view them as a dime a dozen in Pittsburgh (even though a GOOD graphic designer is far from that) and they only way people make a livable wage is by free lancing on top of a full time job. Not to mention all the hip tech companies are going to go after those young dudes with stars in their eyes first and view older people getting their start as damaged goods (ageism is very real and hushed in the American workforce).

That's just my opinion of course but I've known quite a few graphic designers who work at gas stations and grocery stores with mountains of debt. That market is so extremely saturated that your best bet is to look elsewhere.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH2011h View Post
...and so are a lot of other creative fields. We have to thank the overall "lack of respect" for the arts. In a football only society you cannot expect that people will appreciate artistic value, or creatives anymore than their burgers!

That said, I don't think this is what I asked though. You can't tell me what to do for a living, and I am not sure what "at your age means"?? do you know how old I am? do you know me personally? have you seen my portfolio? just curious...
Whoa there cowboy, I'm just providing you with my opinion and some insight on a field that I am pretty familiar with (in fact I have a graphic designer about 10 feet away from me right now). You mentioned in your previous post that you are 20 years out of high school and in my opinion that is not a good age to get a start as a graphic designer. If you in fact in that age bracket (I might have misunderstood) then you will be facing an uphill battle despite how awesome your portfolio is. Not to mention like I said before graphic designers are treated poorly in this city unfortunately.

But, do not let that shun you away from making money freelancing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh