Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:47 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,211,805 times

Advertisements

Our Downtown is blessed with a spectacular location. It has spectacular architecture to boot. City planners along with other groups like the Cultural Trust, Downtown Partnership, PNC, Millcraft, Point Park University, Riverlife Task Force, City Planning Commission, URA and so on, have all contributed to making Downtown a real gem with all of the improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,828,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
-Lobby at Omni William Penn
The William Penn can hang with any NYC hotel. I have been to the Plaza, and all the big time places in NYC first hand. Believe me, the William Penn hangs with them all.

Anyway, thanks for the responses from those that know downtown. I realize not many know the area.

Once again, thanks.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,567,007 times
Having watched downtown over the past 20 years I think Market Square is pretty amazing as well. I thought I would miss the more mature trees, but it really works better like it is now, just walking straight across, having the whole square to walk through, stand or sit in, etc. and seeing across the whole thing. It's pretty cool.

Besides, I can get mature trees anyway, and here is the main reason I'm posting since it hasn't been mentioned: Gateway Center Plaza around the 1, 2 and 3 buildings. You have the fountain and one of the few places to get really mature shade trees downtown. The landscaping is a little staid but I still think it's a great place especially in the summer. In the cooler months I'm sure it's nicer to get some sun but in the warmer times it's nice to have some shade.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,909,913 times
That Gateway area really is neat, with the shiny metal buildings contributing to the fantastical feel. Interestingly few if any of the other developments using that model managed to capture that magic.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM

14,173 posts, read 22,624,303 times
Gnutella favorite places downtown

1. Market Square
2. Allegheny Riverfront Park
3. Mellon Square
4. Katz Plaza
5. PPG Plaza

Gnutella favorite skreets

1. Penn Avenue
2. Grant Street
3. Fifth Avenue
3. Fort Duquesne Boulevard
5. Stanwix Street

Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM

112 posts, read 161,422 times
Anxious to see how Mellon Square shapes up after renovations. Even though it always seems like a bird flight training base, it was a pretty unique area, and hopefully will be better with the update.

Edit: Oh, yeah....and can't forget about Strawberry Way

Last edited by andyt4579; 02-01-2012 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM

80 posts, read 110,883 times
I think this summer will be one of the best yet for downtown in general. So many construction projects (especially the Point) will be complete, and some will begin. Market Square will have more restaurants than I can ever remember (then again I'm pretty young).

I have too many favorites in urban downtown, so probably my ultimate favorite thing downtown is just sitting right smack dab in the middle of Fort Duquesne (or at the very tip of the point, but it's closed). While there, you're completely at the heart of the city and can just feel the energy and vitality of the crossroads for the metro area.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,998,921 times
Downtown is my favorite Pittsburgh neighborhood. My favorite places downtown:

-- Lobby of the William Penn. A great place to hang out with friends and feel "grand."
-- The Crazy Mocha on Liberty Ave.
-- Market Square
-- The Starbucks at Fort Pitt Blvd. and Wood St. (in the Conestoga Building), in the Wharf area.
-- Strawberry Way
-- The sidewalks down by the river. Just sit and look at the river.
-- "Chinatown"
-- The Burke Building (survived the Great Fire of 1845)
-- The old Courthouse and Jail
-- City Hall
-- Macy's (a great old-style department store, fun to walk around).
-- Fourth Avenue (Pittsburgh's original Wall Street)
-- Heinz Hall / Benedum / Byham Theater
-- Old Post Office
-- Gulf Tower and Koppers Bldg

Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,076,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
-- "Chinatown"
Doesn't this consist of like 2 restaurants/buildings near PNC Firstside? Just curious..

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,828,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Doesn't this consist of like 2 restaurants/buildings near PNC Firstside? Just curious..
Yeah, there isn't a lot left, but it is kind of cool that some of it is there. That little red roof that still is in place makes me wonder what it was like many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh