Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,797 times

Advertisements

I really like Pittsburgh's Downtown, and think it is still on the upswing. From what I understand, it was unthinkable 25 years ago that people would actually want to move and live in the Downtown area, but I've been seeing quite a few new condos and apartments advertised. The area really needs to have people living in it these days to keep that vibrancy going. I believe there are a couple low-income high rises between 5th and 9th near Penn Ave., and if they should be, if they haven't already, be renovated and transitioned to market rentals...or at least rents high enough to price out SSI and cash assitance recipients, etc., then that will be a big boon for the for the atmosphere down there as well.

My wife used to live in Detroit (well, it wasn't really Detroit, it was near Troy, and apparently everyone there is not as eager to lay claim to being a "Detroiter" as we are here to the Pittsburgher label) and was amazed by how nice and vibrant Pittsburgh was in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
I grew up right next to Troy, and my mom lived in Troy for many years. Outside of Michigan I tell people I am from Detroit (or the Detroit area), but in that area people would find it strange.

Anyway, I much prefer the core Pittsburgh area to those Oakland County suburbs of Detroit, although I do think downtown Detroit has a lot of potential.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,555 times
I grew up in Rochester. I worked in Troy (16 and Bellingham)...I then lived for a year downtown (off Brush) and 3 years in Royal Oak. I tell everyone here I'm from Detroit area.

If I told people back home I was from Detroit I'd get laughed at.

Pittsburgh downtown wins over any Detroit suburbs so far in my opinion. Population density and walkability (proximity to everything as well as general safety) being key factors. I've walked from my place in Southside to Consol and back...no sweat.

Downtown Detroit does have huge potential - they just need to link up the various clusters within the city. There's vast space of nothing, with little pockets of great areas. Its frustrating to have to drive from one nice area, through a bombed out wasteland just to get to another nice spot (i.e. Royal Oak down Woodward into the city. Or Hamtramck down into the city...etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh