Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

No one will force people to give up unassisted bikes if they prefer them--this just expands the universe of the people who will use bikes, and similarly expands the universe of transportation needs that bikes will meet.

For the same reasons I don't think it is "sad" from an environmental perspective because these for the most part won't substitute for unassisted bikes--rather, they will mostly substitute for trips that would otherwise be done with much heavier ICE vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
I don't know much about the bikes discussed in the article, but the Europeans, especially the Swiss have many years of experience building electric bikes. They are used in the Alps so I think they could handle Pittsburgh terrain. I know someone who rented them over there and loved them. I wonder if these Pittsburgh-designed bikes really have something the Swiss ones do not.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
I think it's a bit sad to see one of the more environmentally friendly modes of transportation turned into something that you plug in. Not that this concept is in any way new, this is just adding bigger and bigger motors and batteries onto a bicycle.

Your opinion may change as you get older, trust me.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I think it's a bit sad to see one of the more environmentally friendly modes of transportation turned into something that you plug in. Not that this concept is in any way new, this is just adding bigger and bigger motors and batteries onto a bicycle.
These batteries can be charged with wind or solar powered electricity. I don`t see a downside to this.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Hell, I might get one now!
If they can invent something to make it easier to take the hills, I'm game too!

We love riding bikes, but we can't go far in our immediate area. I hate having to drive somewhere to bike ride.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
I hope these electric bikes require insurance and registration on top of an M endorsement on your license to use.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I wonder if these Pittsburgh-designed bikes really have something the Swiss ones do not.
I have no idea, but I do know battery/charging technology is constantly improving, and they also seem to have done some work on the throttle.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I hope these electric bikes require insurance and registration on top of an M endorsement on your license to use.
There is an existing motorized pedacycle provision in PA law (it requires insurance and registration but only a Class C license, which I think is fine given the maximum design speed allowed is 25 mph--these apparently only do 20).

Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Criticism and cynicism from MGM? What a surprise!

We should be doing everything we can to make alternative transport EASIER, not more difficult in this era of increasing fuel prices and a desire to decrease fossil fuel use.

INB4 "It's a vehicle on the road too." No way should a bike be subject to the same fees as 3000 to 6000 pound vehicles. If everyone rode bikes, you'd basically never even SEE potholes. I could compromise and say a new form of registration for bikes and such with a negligible fee or none, but not the same $70 ish fee as typical vehicles.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
For the same reasons I don't think it is "sad" from an environmental perspective because these for the most part won't substitute for unassisted bikes--rather, they will mostly substitute for trips that would otherwise be done with much heavier ICE vehicles.
I don't agree with that, the biggest deterrent to cycling, is the lack of safety, not an unwillingness to cycle. In regards to safety, e-bikes are no different than bicycles, and would require the same infrastructure as bicycles. It's been proven all over the world, that if you improve safety for cyclist, more people will cycle. E-bikes would be more of a replacement for bicycles.

So from an environmental perspective, having more people to ride e-bikes, isn't any different than having more people ride Segways, rather than walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

Your opinion may change as you get older, trust me.
Yet many older people ride unassisted bicycles everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
These batteries can be charged with wind or solar powered electricity. I don`t see a downside to this.
There is no such thing as free energy, not from a cost, or environmental standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: