Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM

53 posts, read 124,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You just told them to do it. If you want them to be funded like purely private universities, then charging tuition like purely private universities is what they will do.
How does cutting the budgets of Pitt and PSU hurt the state? As I said before, both of these institutions are highly successful and will be able to pick up the slack themselves. Yes, I am sure they will raise tuition but that is just the nature of the beast.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999cm999 View Post
How does cutting the budgets of Pitt and PSU hurt the state? As I said before, both of these institutions are highly successful and will be able to pick up the slack themselves. Yes, I am sure they will raise tuition but that is just the nature of the beast.

A primer:
http://www.govt.psu.edu/Moving_The_C...lth_Foward.pdf

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Pitt tuition and fees: $16,132 - $17,918 (depending on college)
UNC Chapel Hill tuition and fees: $7,008

Both for state residents.
NC state appropriation are 20% of UNC's operating budget. Not sure about Pitt but I think it's less than 5%.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999cm999 View Post
Yes, I am sure they will raise tuition but that is just the nature of the beast.
Higher tuitions will ultimately mean fewer students. Developing human capital is an important part of overall economic development.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Higher tuitions will ultimately mean fewer students. Developing human capital is an important part of overall economic development.
^ This. The more incentives we offer our workforce to train and develop themselves the better. Nationwide those metropolitan areas that have a high percentage of adults in the workforce with at least a Bachelor's Degree have fared much better during this recession than those where there are many non-degree-holders. Even within our own state look at my native Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, which still has a sky-high unemployment rate while also having low overall educational attainment rates, as a prime example of this.

I know many people who don't possess a college degree who happen to be more brilliant than those with degrees; however, in today's economic climate that degree is a necessary "ticket" to an interview for employment opportunities that compensate handsomely.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
But are you saying I am wrong? Or just saying you have picked a side in the Culture Wars and are sticking with it to the bitter end?
I'm saying that you posted an idiotic comment with zero facts to back it up. If you want to claim that there is basically a kickback scheme going on, then I think you have to back that up. What kind of "rewards" are the governor's "friends" getting that are unusual for other state budgets? Put up a comparison chart to show how out of line these "rewards" are. What are these unusual benefits that the police and corrections are getting? What about the "large businesses"? Please also cite the page of the budget that you found this on and the paragraph. And, finally, Marcellus and their tax-free status, which is so different from the massive tax that Rendell put on them. Corbett's view on this has been the same since he was running for election. There are no payoffs, no rewards for his buddies. No tax increases was the basis of his campaign.

Seriously, put up some facts to back up your claims or back down and acknowledge your comments as nothing more than your daily left-wing drivel.

Last edited by Love2Golf09; 02-07-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Pitt wastes money in many many areas & could easily cut their spending without raising tuition to compensate for any state funding reduction. I was on their budget committee & the administrators there live in la la land when it comes to what to spend money on & how much.

I can't speak towards any of the other state institutions but cannot imagine they are far off.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Corbett sure enough is setting himself up to be a One-Term Governor...but question is by the time he's booted out of office will it be too late for repair, will the damage already be done?

He's far too extreme for PA to win a 2nd term.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
He's far too extreme for PA to win a 2nd term.
Are you sure about that? He seems to have a lot of fans, and PA, unfortunately, is a very conservative state given its location within the country.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Are you sure about that? He seems to have a lot of fans, and PA, unfortunately, is a very conservative state given its location within the country.
Nahhh....PA is not extreme-right enough.....Pittsburgh and Philadelphia Metro's alone outweigh the rest of the state when it comes to Voting....Both metros have two types of voting blocks Dems and Moderate Repubs, Corbett's extreme's are too much for both Groups. Like I said in another post the Eastern side of PA already Hates him, Western PA is now warming up to the hate as well.

The only reason he's even considering compromising on Transit is because he's feeling tremendous Heat....If he drops the ball on Transit he has to know he's done for at the end of 4 years. Education and Transportation gutting will be too much for PA to just "GET OVER IT"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh