Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
As well as (I think) State Inspections for vehicles and drivers licence centers. Not just about busses.
Also the State Police, who provide general law enforcement in many areas (incidentally, the TFAC recommended shifting a lot of their funding over to the general budget).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
In theory we have plenty of time. PAT's service cuts aren't scheduled until the beginning of September, and I am sure they will be prepared to scale back the cuts if they get their funding restored, even at the last minute. However, lots of people seem to think the looming elections may freeze the legislature, so maybe the sooner the better.
Yes, technically cuts can be restored at the last minute. But keep in mind that they have to send out layoff notices most likely by the end of June plus generating and printing new schedules, logistics of closing garages/moving buses, and PR materials among other things.. Also, if employees got their layoff notice and decide to leave for good and cuts are stopped at the last minute service would be disrupted in September anyway and that is a whole other issue.

So if a miracle happens on September 1st and the cuts are stopped, PAT would have already incurred expenses to plan and implement those cuts along with a possibility of hundreds of workers not coming back.

It was encouraging to see Corbett recognize the need for transportation funding in his budget address, but I agree something has to happen soon to avoid panic. His comment today of "not getting into transit solutions now" is not a good sign, IMO. Add in the fact it is an election year and a previous comment that PAT's issues need to be addressed locally (does he still mean that?), and I just don't have a positive feeling about all of this. Sure, legislatures in this area will make transportation a priority no matter what this election year because of the local transit impact, but what about legislatures in the Central part of the state?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Yeah, in fact they have already been expending resources on preparing for the service cuts, and undoubtedly those expenditures would ramp up as September approached. So from that perspective sooner would definitely be better.

Incidentally, Central PA has a lot at stake with the road/bridge portion of the transportation crisis. And in fact we know there was bipartisan movement in the legislature last fall, and this helps explain why--the crisis goes WAY beyond just PAT, or transit in general.

None of this is meant to suggest this is all a done deal. Rather, it is meant to suggest the situation isn't hopeless, but certainly continued public pressure is a key component to have even a chance at something being done.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 AM

53 posts, read 124,089 times
Quote:

...Incidentally, Central PA has a lot at stake with the road/bridge portion of the transportation crisis...
Well-educated Brian, if you have the time and inclination, can you please expand on this further or provide a relevant link that I may peruse?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Transportation includes roads and bridges. They're all over.
Aren't we talking about public transportation on the Pittsburgh forum? Are we now talking about all the budget cuts? If you want to change the subject, maybe you would be better off posting it in the PA forum.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 AM
gg

Quote:
A lot of space in these discussions is wasted because h_curtis inexplicably refuses to look at the TFAC report, even just the 12-page Executive Summary..

A lot of space is wasted because you are not focused on the topic of discussion. How Corbett's budget effects PAT and public transportation in Pittsburgh. If you want to discuss the entire state budget in its entirety, maybe it would be better suited on the PA forum, not the Pittsburgh forum. Start the subject over there, so we can get back to PAT. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I can't seem to find anything about where transportation and transit was mentioned (if at all) was mentioned in the budget. What now for PAT?
Here is the OP's first post. "What now for PAT?"

Anyone read this post?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have to be honest, transportation won't steal the show. There are bigger fish to fry than public transportation that effects very few when compared to the masses in the entire state. For most people in the state, they could care less what happens to PAT. If you ride a bus daily, you care. If you don't use it, you probably won't care to be quite honest. What is the percentage of people in the state the use public transportation? You need to look at the whole state, because Corbett is looking at the state as a whole and where the money should be spent, not just Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh and Philly Metros are the overwhelming majority of PA's Tax base no other part of PA comes remotely close...So Yes they should matter more.

2nd...Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are 2 top 10 cities for Public Transit use so its a much bigger deal then your trying to downplaying....

3rd....if you don't think PAT slashing 30% of service is going to Cripple Pittsburgh , I have a Bridge to sell you.

4th....You don't have to ride the Bus to feel the decrease of Public Transit...Ask anyone who takes the Parkway West daily for the last 10 years...Where 10 years ago a daily back up would be only to Far Side of Greentree Hill on most days, now its a regular occurrence that it backs up clear past 79 coming inbound. But I guess people just need to get used it in your book....BTW have you checked the price of Gas lately, yeah, sitting for 3 hours a day on the Parkway commuting is not my idea of "Not a Big Deal"

If the Transportation bill didn't matter or wasn't a "Big Deal" everyone involved wouldn't be screaming at Corbett to GET OFF HIS ASS AND DO SOMETHING.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh and Philly Metros are the overwhelming majority of PA's Tax base...So Yes they should matter more.

2nd...Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are 2 top 10 cities for Public Transit use so its a much bigger deal then your downplaying....

3rd....if you don't think PAT slashing 30% of service is going to Cripple Pittsburgh , I have a Bridge to sell you.

4th....You don't have to ride the Bus to feel the decrease of Public Transit...Ask anyone who takes the Parkway West daily for the last 10 years...Where 10 years ago a daily back up would be only to Far Side of Greentree Hill on most days, now its a regular occurrence that it backs up clear past 79 coming inbound. But I guess people just need to get used it in your book....

If the Transportation bill didn't matter or was a "Big Deal" everyone involved wouldn't be screaming at Corbett to GET OFF HIS ASS AND DO SOMETHING.
That's all true, but I don't know that Corbett has to win the two cities to win re-election.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Here is the OP's first post. "What now for PAT?"

Anyone read this post?
I was the OP. That was not my first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh