Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

Yeah, and to be fair, PAT has a long history of mismanagement that has contributed to its financial problems. However, that has changed recently, particularly since Bland took over in 2006. And although many people seem not to remember this, PAT was in the middle of a successful reorganization (the TDP) and not in a financial crisis when it got kneecapped by these state funding cuts.

Again, the problem is some people are set in their ways, and if you tell them this latest crisis is because of mismanagement at PAT, they will automatically believe you. And unfortunately there are many cynical politicians, associated media outlets, and so on who are more than happy to push that button in an effort to limit public outcry over what the state is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Old, but new to me: Allegheny County drink tax wasn't meant for Port Authority

Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM

I've posted that a couple times (when people have asked things like "Why didn't the drink tax fix all of PAT's financial problems?"). Yet the myth endures that the drink tax led to a lot more money for PAT.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
I always thought I heard Dannyboy tout in the media that the drink tax was for PAT.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I always thought I heard Dannyboy tout in the media that the drink tax was for PAT.
I'm pretty sure that's how the tax (along with the car rental increase) was 'sold' to the people when it was passed.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM

It was "for" PAT in the sense that the County already contributed funding to PAT, and this was a new source of revenue the County could use for that purpose.

That logic starts breaking down, though, once you realize money is fungible, and that the County can and does decide to spend those revenues for other purposes as it sees fit.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Oh and like Brian keeps saying over and over and over again this is even bigger than just PAT and SEPTA.....Let a bridge carrying a school bus packed with kids of the "Opposition" Fall into the river (ala i-35 W Bridge in Minneapolis), wonder what that will do for Corbett's re-election chances.
PennDOT is responsible for the inspection of bridges. If a bridge is bad enough, they have the authority to close the bridge to all traffic until repairs are made to make it structurally safe again. From the FAQ on this site: Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Quote:
5. Who makes sure that bridges in PA are safe?
PennDOT is responsible for ensuring that the 32,000 bridges in Pennsylvania are inspected according to state and federal regulations. Approximately 25,000 bridges are owned by the state and inspections are done by PennDOT employees and consultants who are certified bridge safety inspectors. PennDOT provides oversight for the approximately 7,000 bridges owned and inspected by local municipalities and other agencies.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is responsible for inspecting their bridges and they are required to submit the inspection information to PennDOT.
I know, I know... PennDOT is funded by the state, which apparently has no money. BUT, if this scenario you have proposed were to happen, I would be quite confident in saying the fall-out would affect the inspector who kept the bridge open much more than the governor. Bridge inspections are also federally mandated, so it would be hard to stop doing them. But then again, it's easier to blame a public political figure from the other party that you don't like.

BTW... I do not claim to support Corbett's actions or policies, I just like to be the devil's advocated every once in a while.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You use streets too, right?

Collectively bike trails and streets are paid for in a variety of ways. A significant chunk is from fuel taxes (although not as much as some people seem to think), another bit from various vehicle and license fees, in the case of bike trails specifically there are sometimes private donations, and most of the rest comes from the general accounts of various government entities.

But what isn't happening is that bicyclists are being charged directly for using those trails and streets, which is the equivalent of charging fares to use public transportation.

Now of course I have no problem with that--we should be encouraging people to bike more, and in general it is bad policy to ask transportation users to pay all the costs of their usage on the spot. But then again, I'm not the kind of person who runs around saying things like, "Why should I pay for others all the time?", because I recognize that we are all paying for each other all the time when it comes to transportation.
Yeah Brian, I used the roads. What do I get for my taxes as a cyclist? Hmm, a Highland Park Bridge that plows the snow overtop the barrier onto the sidewalk, that not only blocks the sidewalk with snow, the amount of debris that is left over from gravel, car parts, glass and lots of different metals make it about impossible to use at any time of year. I clean it every Spring, but it gets dirty with debris pretty fast. The sides of all streets are a total mess for cyclists this time of year because the plows push the snow were a cyclist would ride. We are so thought about by the city, county and state. I realize you wouldn't really understand what it is actually like Brian, because it is clear you don't cycle in the city, nor do you get out and have a look at reality. I don't expect anything from the city or whoever is supposed to maintain the Highland Park Bridge. I love it when they put detour signs right in the middle of the sidewalk, so it is about impossible to pass. Of course you have to get off your bike and duck under the sign and squeeze your bike or body by the signs. People don't care about pedestrians or cyclists at all. We get nothing. If it wasn't for the Friends of the Riverfront, who helps raise money for some cycling in our city, we would have nothing at all, but most commuters don't use the trails because they are going to work and work isn't around trails. If you are riding into the city from most places you are using the streets which as I stated are filled with debris because all the grime is pushed where we ride. But yeah Brian, we can tax the cyclist, we get so much from that drink tax and the host of other taxes that subsidize those fat pensions that kick in after 20 years of driving a bus. All is great in your world. You sit back on the computer all day and dream what you feel it is like. Let me tell you from someone that actually is out there. It isn't all that great for a cyclist or a walker.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
People don't care about pedestrians or cyclists at all. We get nothing. If it wasn't for the Friends of the Riverfront, who helps raise money for some cycling in our city, we would have nothing at all, but most commuters don't use the trails because they are going to work and work isn't around trails.
Ironically, transit is a major catalyst for pedestrian traffic, but you're arguing against funding transit (actually, for cutting transit funding). Eliminate the transit systems and you're going to see a lot more people in cars, a lot more money spent towards accommodating cars, and consequently a lot less money spent towards pedestrian infrastructure.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Ironically, transit is a major catalyst for pedestrian traffic, but you're arguing against funding transit (actually, for cutting transit funding). Eliminate the transit systems and you're going to see a lot more people in cars, a lot more money spent towards accommodating cars, and consequently a lot less money spent towards pedestrian infrastructure.
Hello? I am not arguing against finding for buses, I am arguing I get NOTHING for my drink tax and whatever other taxes they are going to come up with to fund the failing PAT bus crap. I am tired of paying for the pensions and anything related to them, because it is STILL broken! That drink tax was the last straw. How can you tax bars and restaurants for PAT? Is that fair to single out one industry? What do we get for that taxing of certain people that want to have a beer out, a wine with dinner or whatever? The restaurant owners have to pay this tax and try and pass that tax along with the TONS of other taxes on the the people visiting their establishments. Now here we are in the same boat AGAIN with PAT and that tax is in place for life. We are wondering what is going wrong? How many more taxes can we put in place to keep that dumb company going?

FWIW, I would rather be passed by a car than a bus any day. There are lots of bus drivers that HATE cyclists and come very close to us for no reason. Happens a lot believe me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh