Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I grew up in Wilkinsburg (Hamnett Place) in the 80's, and I can tell you that I've witnessed countless racist and disparaging remarks towards whites, including some directed towards myself.

Wilkinsburg is hardly a happy integrated community, there are real divides in race and income levels between the neighborhoods.
You could say the same thing about Braddock and Woodland Hills SD. That school has gotten less tense over the past few years, but it was well-known for its racial issues over the years.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
You could say the same thing about Braddock and Woodland Hills SD. That school has gotten less tense over the past few years, but it was well-known for its racial issues over the years.
Well the fact that the tension is easing is a sign of hope. You gotta start somewhere.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM

From what I've observed, it seems to me that most of the racist white Pittsburghers are older and have a lower- or lower-middle-class background, whereas middle- and upper-middle-class white Pittsburghers are generally more tolerant, albeit racially naive. This is the opposite of how it seems in the South, where lower- and lower-middle-class white Southerners seem to coexist with non-whites better, while the middle- and upper-middle-class white Southerners are a bit more racist.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Pretty much my point. Two or three little kids at some basketball game do something stupid and all this media occurs. It is kind of funny. ALL of Brentwood's population are KKK members. Everyone that lives there are burning crosses if need be. Goodness, talk about drama queens. Too funny.
Agreed. That's like saying everyone is a certain neighborhood is a drug dealer or a criminal becuase there are some seedy people there.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 AM

I responded to a woman in the comments section of that article who moved from Pittsburgh to Atlanta, and who appears to be just as ignorant as the kids in the banana suits:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa
Well Im from Pittsbugh and I got out of highschool in 1980 and nothing has changed!!!

And her reply to somebody else who replied to her:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa
And too JD's comment "you not wanting to live anyplace else than Pittsburgh well thats great!!! Because if we can keep people like you in one place maybe the world can be a better place!!

My reply to her:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
There are 46 school districts in Allegheny County. This stupid incident happened in one of them. That's 2.2% of all school districts in Allegheny County. There are approximately 1,350 students in the Brentwood Borough School District. Two of the students wore banana suits, and maybe, let's say, three dozen more laughed at the stunt. That's 2.7% of the student body in the school district. So when you have 2.7% of the students in 2.2% of the school districts in Allegheny County who are guilty of being racially ignorant, then what you get is a really small percentage of people in Allegheny County who are guilty of it. So whatever happened to not judging the whole based on the actions of a few? Or is it somehow acceptable to be prejudiced against Pittsburghers, or people in western Pennsylvania? You appear to be just as prejudiced as the kids in the banana suits.

By the way, there's a video from a website called "All-Star Hip Hop" that's making the rounds, in which a group of morons on a street corner in Atlanta attacked a gay guy who was minding his own business, and the guy who filmed it all kept repeating, "No f____ts in Jack City!" As far as I'm concerned, that's even worse than what the Brentwood kids did because it involved physical violence. The FBI is investigating now because it appears to fit the federal definition of a hate crime. So using your method of deductive reasoning, Atlanta must be a homophobic city, right? In reality, when you moved from Pittsburgh to Atlanta, you simply moved from one glass house to another. And quite frankly, you're an idiot if you think that nothing's changed in Pittsburgh in the last 30 years. Plenty has changed in both Pittsburgh and Atlanta in the last 10 years, let alone 30. Take it from me, another person who made the move from Pittsburgh to Atlanta nearly 20 years ago, and who goes back regularly to visit my brother.

And here's a story about the video I'm referring to. (Coincidentally, it happened in an Atlanta neighborhood called Pittsburgh.) Here's the video itself:

NOTE: Not safe for work.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:20 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Isn't PA 51 south of Pittsburgh sort of a colostomy tube? Aside from Jefferson Hills and maybe Pleasant Hills, I can't think of any other desirable towns or suburbs located on that highway. That seems to be the case all the way down to Uniontown, and it doesn't matter if the town is majority-white or majority-black either.
Brentwood, by all appearances, is a well-kept and stable neighborhood. Most of the homes appear to be beautifully-maintained.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Brentwood, by all appearances, is a well-kept and stable neighborhood. Most of the homes appear to be beautifully-maintained.
I agree, it certainly a nice appearance especially next to the city neighborhood it borders. But behind that is a history of corruption and shadiness.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM

53 posts, read 124,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Isn't PA 51 south of Pittsburgh sort of a colostomy tube? Aside from Jefferson Hills and maybe Pleasant Hills, I can't think of any other desirable towns or suburbs located on that highway. That seems to be the case all the way down to Uniontown, and it doesn't matter if the town is majority-white or majority-black either.
Baldwin and Whitehall are suburbs that border 51 and have some quite nice areas. They are not the best in the county, but they shouldn't be labeled as having anything to do with a colon.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 999cm999 View Post
Baldwin and Whitehall are suburbs that border 51 and have some quite nice areas. They are not the best in the county, but they shouldn't be labeled as having anything to do with a colon.
I agree, but keep in mind that this poster doesn't actually live in Pittsburgh which may alter their perception.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
This isn't surprising and its not anything new. I remember back in the mid 80's, when I went to Wilkinsburg, and we would play Brentwood in basketball, being called N***GERS, when we would go out on the court to do our cheers during time-outs. Brentwood and Sto-Rox were the worst. Anyway, this sure has been kept mighty quiet, until today. I don't recall any of the local news stations reporting this.
A number of people reported the latest incident to WTAE on their Facebook page.......I think that's what really got the ball rolling. They even stated that in an article on their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh