Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 PM

448 posts, read 534,194 times

Advertisements

Alright well first off let me start by saying this won't really apply to me for about 3 more years. But I'm currently a Secondary English education major in my freshmen year of college. I'm currently at Community College in Philly (Not because of high school grades) for a few semesters. I'm basically looking to apply to Pitt and Duquesne after this semester, when I applied to colleges in high school I was accepted to Duquesne but denied from Pitt. I'm hoping to get into Pitt when I apply this summer. If I get in I'll end up going there, but if not I'll be attending Duquesne. (Due to a lack in Education majors there the cost of tuition is being cut for us starting next fall to basically what I'd be paying for a state school.)

This all being said, I wanted to know when I get out of school, are there many job opportunities for teachers with in the city? How difficult is it to find a job in Pittsburgh with a Secondary education major? If anyone has any info or comments on this topic I would love to hear them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
It's easier to get a position in secondary than primary. Demand is higher for maths, sciences, and foreign languages. But my girlfriend recently got her certification and landed a secondary english position at one of the best districts. It's doable. Just know that it's not easy to land a soft subject position in the Pittsburgh metro. If you're willing to move to a more rural area of the state, you'll definitely find a position in secondary english, but the pay won't be as good.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM

783 posts, read 2,023,085 times
If you specifically want to be within the city, then obviously that will limit your options a lot. I don't know anyone that works at Pittsburgh city schools, but I know several that work in suburban districts and had a fairly easy time getting a job, compared to what it was like 15-20 years ago. I see many people 25 and younger becoming full-time teachers now, so the demand is certainly there due to the massive early retirement from baby boomers. A lot of these people went to teaching factories, like calu, slippery rock, waynesburg college, and psu branch campuses. I know one person that has received an education degree from duquesne and she has struggled more than others I know on getting a teaching job. Of course, this is one individual and says nothing about the quality of their program. I would look at what kind of internships they have and if they have a pipeline to feed grads into certain districts. Also, look at places like calu or slippery rock and compare their tuition to what you will be paying at duquesne. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,378,514 times
This all being said, I wanted to know when I get out of school, are there many job opportunities for teachers with in the city?

Within is one word, not two. Pittsburgh is a top rated literate city.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Alright well first off let me start by saying this won't really apply to me for about 3 more years. But I'm currently a Secondary English education major in my freshmen year of college. I'm currently at Community College in Philly (Not because of high school grades) for a few semesters. I'm basically looking to apply to Pitt and Duquesne after this semester, when I applied to colleges in high school I was accepted to Duquesne but denied from Pitt. I'm hoping to get into Pitt when I apply this summer. If I get in I'll end up going there, but if not I'll be attending Duquesne. (Due to a lack in Education majors there the cost of tuition is being cut for us starting next fall to basically what I'd be paying for a state school.)

This all being said, I wanted to know when I get out of school, are there many job opportunities for teachers with in the city? How difficult is it to find a job in Pittsburgh with a Secondary education major? If anyone has any info or comments on this topic I would love to hear them. Thanks!
You didn't say why you wanted to come to Pgh but I would say you will have a better chance of finding a teaching job in the Philly area as opposed to Pgh. Southeastern PA is growing, Western PA is not growing. I know about Duquesne's cut in tuition for education majors, but why not look at schools like West Chester, Kutztown or Millersville. The last I heard, Millersville was the top rated state school in PA.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
This all being said, I wanted to know when I get out of school, are there many job opportunities for teachers with in the city?

Within is one word, not two. Pittsburgh is a top rated literate city.
God I can't believe I spelled that incorrectly. Forget the question. I'm just going to flip burgers for the rest of my days...

Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You didn't say why you wanted to come to Pgh but I would say you will have a better chance of finding a teaching job in the Philly area as opposed to Pgh. Southeastern PA is growing, Western PA is not growing. I know about Duquesne's cut in tuition for education majors, but why not look at schools like West Chester, Kutztown or Millersville. The last I heard, Millersville was the top rated state school in PA.
I'm from Pittsburgh (Well, Monroeville) and moved to Philly a few years back. I didn't live in the city when I lived in Pittsburgh...obviously. But I do in Philly, and I'm looking to go to school in the city and stay in the city after I get my degree. And as far as the other colleges you gave me. I applied to them. Except for Kutztown. I got into West Chester and Millersville. I just really don't have any intrest in going to one of those schools. But maybe I'll look again.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,014 times
Predicting the availability of any teaching positions in three years in Pennsylvania is truthfully, a crapshoot. The teaching candidates who I see getting the jobs in the districts in western Pennsylvania (in which I have been affiliated) share some common traits today. Of course, availability of teaching positions is of primary consideration (foreign languages, and the advanced sciences/mathematics) seem to offer new graduates the best opportunities to secure teaching positions. Sad to say, but politics and nepotism are probably next on the list.... talk to any new teacher (especially in the elementary levels) and if the answers are honest, you will hear the validity of this premise. Next on the list: experience. With lay-offs in surrounding states/districts and thousands of out-of-work subs, the competition will be keen. Many districts value experience as critical, as hiring a poor teacher is a long-term/ extremely expensive district expenditure that no one wishes to absorb. Bringing skills beyond teaching that is a high profile need (coaching HS basketball/football come to mind first) will enhance one's employment chances.

Hopes' post about his girlfriend securing an English teaching job is a real positive, but without knowing all the (sometimes confidential) details, we may not know why she was chosen before the other hundreds of candidates for the job. Allegheny County/ Pittsburgh area schools seem to be looking for more ways to cut positions than hire for new (fewer teachers, more teaching periods, larger class sizes, fewer course selections). Many senior teachers in danger of furlough are obtaining "bridge certificates" to allow them to teach English, as well.

Your path to securing a permanent English teaching position in Pennsylvania is currently, and will be, exceptionally challenging in the foreseeable future. The very best to you in your quest. One last suggestion...Try not to procure too much college debt, as this added pressure to a new graduate seeking permanent employment may further daunt your opportunity to teach.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Hopes' post about his girlfriend securing an English teaching job is a real positive, but without knowing all the (sometimes confidential) details, we may not know why she was chosen before the other hundreds of candidates for the job.
She was extremely surprised. It was a different district from where she lived and raised her children. She had no connections whatsoever. As an older adult, in her late 40s, who didn't have work experience because she had been a SAHM for 25 years, she didn't think she had a chance. She assumed she would have a career subbing, and that would have been fine with her since she is still raising children.

As I said in my first post, it will be much harder to find a secondary english position. I merely offered her as an exception. She does have an exceptional personality, and I suspect that's why she was chosen. When I say exceptional personality, I mean it. When she walks into a room, it suddenly fills with positive energy in any situation and setting. She is the most friendly, kind, upbeat, inspiring, genuine person I have ever met.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She was extremely surprised. It was a different district from where she lived and raised her children. She had no connections whatsoever. As an older adult, in her late 40s, who didn't have work experience because she had been a SAHM for 25 years, she didn't think she had a chance. She assumed she would have a career subbing, and that would have been fine with her since she is still raising children.

As I said in my first post, it will be much harder to find a secondary english position. I merely offered her as an exception. She does have an exceptional personality, and I suspect that's why she was chosen. When I say exceptional personality, I mean it. When she walks into a room, it suddenly fills with positive energy in any situation and setting. She is the most friendly, kind, upbeat, inspiring, genuine person I have ever met.
She should count her blessings. I know several teachers who have been looking for three years or more who cannot find anything in this area. School districts around the area are laying off teachers, not hiring. Math and Science are the only bright spots, others like English and History are overloaded with candidates. Positions do open up, you'll just be competing with a lot of other applicants though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh