Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times

Advertisements

OK, not really, but the City has released a beta version of an interactive guide to its neighborhoods called PGHSNAP, which in turn is feeding into its PGHPLAN process (they are putting together a comprehensive development plan for the City). It takes the form of a very large interactive PDF, which you can download here:

Department of City Planning : PGHSNAP - Download Center

If you plan on playing with this for long and have the harddrive space, I highly recommend downloading it to your computer and not just into your browser.

Anyway, in the "Assets Profiles" part it divides the City into "Sectors", and for each sector it presents a brief narrative and then some basic population information, a map with information about building conditions and permits, a transportation map, a parks and recreation map, a schools/hospitals/libraries/emergency services map, a historic assets map with attached pictures, and a public art map with attached pictures.

It then has a subsection on each neighborhood in the Sector. The neighborhood subsection has a brief narrative then tables about population, housing (including age distribution and value/price data), jobs worked by residents, jobs available in the neighborhood, educational attainment and income, public safety, the built environment, a natural environment map, a zoning map, and a transportation summary, all presented next to the overall City numbers for handy comparison.

But wait, there's more!

It also has various citywide maps and neighborhood ranking/top-ten tables (Densest population? North Oakland Highest percentage of older residents? Glen Hazel Most carbon-neutral commutes? Bluff/Uptown Highest median income? Point Breeze Lowest crime rate? Swisshelm Park Greatest increase in median home value 2000-2008? East Allegheny).

And there is even more!

The Action Planning section has citywide maps for "core blight indicators" (foreclosures, vacancies, and so forth), "housing characteristic indicators" (median home sales prices, building conditions, etc.), and "quality of life indicators" (poverty, crime, etc.). That is followed by action planning matrix map (I'm not even going to try to explain what that means, but it is interesting), citywide and by sector.

As noted, this is just the beta version: the official 1.0 version is apparently going to be released in March, and presumably updated with fresh data periodically after that.

Anyway, to me it is amazingly cool to have all this information available in one relatively user-friendly place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM

366 posts, read 944,527 times
I agree this is definitely worth the download. Any stat freak will love this - lots of interesting information. Thanks for posting!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,858 times
Came across version 2.0:

http://www.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/snap...0_Oct_2011.pdf

Sorry if this is a re-post.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:55 AM

875 posts, read 1,490,421 times
I was at the kickoff meeting at CMU last night. Pretty good turnout!

The one thing I was frustrated about was how many audience members were asking Port Authority-specific questions. City planning can communicate with PAT, but they can't dictate their decisions or control state funding. Other than that, most of the folks there were informed and seemed generally willing to participate.

I just hope PAT's mess (and state transportation funding in general) doesn't stymie these planning efforts completely.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I can't believe the number of people I encounter who insist on the view that the City is responsible for PAT.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM

81 posts, read 162,834 times
Cool! Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I can't believe the number of people I encounter who insist on the view that the City is responsible for PAT.
Tell me about it. We have people on this sub-forum for crying out loud who think Mayor Ravenstahl "isn't doing enough". He has NO CONTROL over anything PAT does or does not do! He has NO CONTROL over what Gov. Corbett does or does not do! He has NO CONTROL over what the state legislature does or does not do!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,827 times
The Mayor may not have control, but he can speak up for his constituents and tell the state or governor firsthand how it will effect the people who voted ghim in and thier livlihoods. How does he expect people to come downtown if no one can get there?

This is a huge concern for the city of Pittsburgh and it makes him look as if he really doesn't give a rat's ass about the people who live, work or hang out in his city.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
The Mayor may not have control, but he can speak up for his constituents and tell the state or governor firsthand how it will effect the people who voted ghim in and thier livlihoods. How does he expect people to come downtown if no one can get there?
Our illustrious governor (thanks, everyone, for voting for him, by the way) already knows this and obviously doesn't care. A relatively unpopular Democratic mayor whining to him won't be likely to influence him.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
The one thing I was frustrated about was how many audience members were asking Port Authority-specific questions. City planning can communicate with PAT, but they can't dictate their decisions or control state funding. Other than that, most of the folks there were informed and seemed generally willing to participate.
ITA. I think they need to communicate and express the concerns. But it looks like no one cares and it makes Pittsburgh look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh