Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times

Advertisements

I live in Greensburg and it's not rundown by any means, but it also isn't thriving to the seams either. There's a museum, a beautiful performing arts center called the Palace which usually attracts national acts and several major parks including the picturesque Twin Lakes Park in Greensburg. Outside the city, there's many retailers and sit-down restaurants as well as Westmoreland Mall. St. Clair Park in Downtown Greensburg has plenty of trees and contains an amphitheater, which hosts performing acts every weekend during the months of June-August and you also get a great view of the Greensburg skyline. Pennsylvania Avenue also has a tree-lined street and contains some small businesses as well as One Eleven, which is an upscale restaurant. There aren't too many sketchy areas that I could think of either, it's mostly just older residents and families with children who reside in those areas; neighborhoods such as Academy Hill have plenty of nice homes of the vintage stock if that's something you like, otherwise you might want to look into the Northmont neighborhood for newer split style homes. Greensburg-Salem isn't a bad district either, it's not up to the caliber of say Franklin Regional but it's one of the better districts in the area. The only downside is the distance to Johnstown, I'd say about an hour if you take Route 22. I would not suggest taking Route 30 as traffic signals are plentiful and it will add several minutes of additional time to your commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Greensburg is not "run-down" at all, in my opinion, and especially not by western PA standards! It's actually one of the nicest small towns / cities in the region. The downtown is intact with many businesses open, things to do (the Palace Theater), and restaurants. The neighborhoods have beautiful historic architecture. I'm sure some neighborhoods have run-down areas, but that's true in any city. Give Greensburg a chance! It's certainly a safe city.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 AM

5 posts, read 27,994 times
neurodistortion and alleghenyangel-

Thank you for detailed descriptions! We do plan on going back to visit in a few weeks...with an open mind. I'm glad to hear some positive things about the city. We do like older homes and are hoping to find something to fit our needs.

I also like that the school district is a bit smaller....Hempfield is HUGE! I've heard very good things about Franklin Regional, but honestly, many of the homes in that district are out of our budget.

Thanks for all the information...it's hard to relocate to an area you know nothing about and have never spent any time in!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaPAgirl View Post
I'm not trying to offend anyone. I guess I'm basing my opinion on what I've experienced...the upper midwest and New England and my current small town in Erie Co.

I did really like downtown Greensburg. The courthouse was really nice and I'm sure there are some other great things downtown as well, which is why I came here looking for some more input.

Again, I'm not looking to offend anyone and I apologize if I have.
No offense taken.. but I asked because I do not consider Greensburg to be run-down at all.

But then, I'm from Aliquippa....

Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
I live in Greensburg and it's not rundown by any means, but it also isn't thriving to the seams either. There's a museum, a beautiful performing arts center called the Palace which usually attracts national acts and several major parks including the picturesque Twin Lakes Park in Greensburg. Outside the city, there's many retailers and sit-down restaurants as well as Westmoreland Mall. St. Clair Park in Downtown Greensburg has plenty of trees and contains an amphitheater, which hosts performing acts every weekend during the months of June-August and you also get a great view of the Greensburg skyline. Pennsylvania Avenue also has a tree-lined street and contains some small businesses as well as One Eleven, which is an upscale restaurant. There aren't too many sketchy areas that I could think of either, it's mostly just older residents and families with children who reside in those areas; neighborhoods such as Academy Hill have plenty of nice homes of the vintage stock if that's something you like, otherwise you might want to look into the Northmont neighborhood for newer split style homes. Greensburg-Salem isn't a bad district either, it's not up to the caliber of say Franklin Regional but it's one of the better districts in the area. The only downside is the distance to Johnstown, I'd say about an hour if you take Route 22. I would not suggest taking Route 30 as traffic signals are plentiful and it will add several minutes of additional time to your commute.
Google Maps says 1:08 if you take Route 30 to Route 219. It says 1:18 if you take Route 119 to Route 22 to Route 56 to 219. There are probably as many lights on the 119/22/56 option as on Route 30. I can count at least six lights on Route 56. Also keep in mind that 119 from Greensburg to Route 22 is two land and Route 56 from Armagh through the West End of Johnstown is two lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh