Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Some of the views in this thread are driving me crazy. Some posts are downright racist against blacks while others are so wildly speculative as if a bunch of white dudes can speak for the black community just on hearsay. Then we have the group of white people who defend blacks to no end as if black people are unable to argue a point themselves. Ugh.
You were expecting something different? Really? These threads go the same way every time. Just like the last one it will be locked soon.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You were expecting something different? Really? These threads go the same way every time. Just like the last one it will be locked soon.
You're right. It never fails I guess.

It's not like you can have a civil discussion on race on any other CD sub-forums either. The politics forum makes the Pittsburgh forum look tame in comparison.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I guess we haven't come as far as I would like to think. I really don't pay attention to color to be honest, but if someone advertises themselves as a certain type of person, that is different. If a black person has pants hanging way down and underwear hanging out, I form an opinion about them. That isn't anyone's fault but the person wearing clothes to tell the world, they don't care. Same goes if I see some white guy with tattoos running up their neck and a tear drop in the corner of their eye. They are advertising something. If people advertise in such ways, it is pretty hard not to take notice. Thankfully I see successful black, white, Latino and a host of foreign folks all in one area. One thing about East Liberty it is a true melting pot and you see plenty of sharp folks of all races. Guess it was my hope that the race thing was becoming old, but I guess it live as much now as ever, even with a black president, well part black. He was voted in by plenty of white people, so one heck of a lot of people didn't pay attention to his race, they paid attention to what he said. I was hoping that would indicate some progress. Oh well, back to my dream land.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 AM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Here are some things to consider:

1.) Most "desirable" neighborhoods in the city proper are also expensive.

2.) To afford an expensive neighborhood one must have a relatively high household income.

3.) Those who are college-educated tend to earn higher incomes.

4.) Not a high percentage of African-Americans in Pittsburgh are college-educated in relation to their Caucasian counterparts. Additionally, Asian-Americans tend to be very well educated overall, much more than whites, hence why the majority of the city's relatively scant Asian-American population lives in affluent neighborhoods (i.e. 1 out of 5 Shadyside residents being Asian-American).

5.) Pittsburgh isn't "racist" because its neighborhoods are segregated along socioeconomic lines. Not many college-educated professionals with ample discretionary income---white OR black---want to raise their families in Homewood, Hill District, Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar, or other violent, majority-African-American, majority-impoverished, and majority-non-college-educated neighborhoods. This is why most well-heeled blacks in this city live in Highland Park, Stanton Heights, and some of the Eastern inner suburbs, including the better parts of Wilkinsburg, Churchill, Forest Hills, and Swissvale. Forum member wpipkins would be one of the exceptions to this rule, as he's a black professional who is raising his family in the East Hills, which is often considered an undesirable city neighborhood. Most of his peers with similar income levels would probably echo "white flight" and opt to raise their children in more upper-middle-class surroundings.

6.) Not necessarily saying I concur with h_curtis, but I do admit there is still a small portion of the African-American population in places like Homewood and the Hill District who DO feel like they are "owed" something. Instead of working two jobs to pay bills and take pride in their properties, as friends of mine and I do, they'd rather kvetch about how they can't succeed in life because of whites. As a white male I'm not supposed to freely admit that such "reverse-racism" exists, yet it does. As a point of reference at my recent job interview with a financial firm here in the city a group of nearly a dozen was whittled down to four---two black and two white (and I was the only male, for the record). All four of us, to my knowledge, were given job offers. The majority of those turned down were white. My former employer hired more blacks than whites. My current secondary employer is color-blind when it comes to hiring. I have several African-American friends here, and all are employed. As such, when I hear a black individual whining they can't get a job through no fault of their own I'm inclined to not feel sympathetic because I feel as if they're either not looking fastidiously enough OR are being too picky since I know of too many employers here who are hiring who have no record of such racial profiling.

You are sadly mistaken if you think that I am the only black professional in my neighborhood. If you have a chance look up the following streets and the homes on them. The following streets are solidly black middle class. Some black people dont care what white people consider desirable. We get alot of house for our money and are quite confortable with our surroundings.

Sonny
Sunrise
Frankella
Reynolds
calistoga
crestlin dr
crestline court
parkhill dr
fairlawn

Old 02-14-2012, 07:35 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Some of the views in this thread are driving me crazy. Some posts are downright racist against blacks while others are so wildly speculative as if a bunch of white dudes can speak for the black community just on hearsay. Then we have the group of white people who defend blacks to no end as if black people are unable to argue a point themselves. Ugh.
Care to elaborate? I'm by no means "downright racist against blacks." I really can't stand how Pittsburgh is so liberal and politically correct that you can't even tap-dance around the subject of race relations without igniting a firestorm. It's not as if ebony and ivory are living here in perfect harmony. Yes, our city's race relations are better than they are in many other cities, including Cincinnati and Detroit; however, there's still room for discussion. Also, I wouldn't call anything I posted "wildly speculative." The city's most affluent neighborhoods are also mostly white because most of those here in Pittsburgh who are college-educated high-earners also happen to be white. That's not "racist".

Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
You are sadly mistaken if you think that I am the only black professional in my neighborhood. If you have a chance look up the following streets and the homes on them. The following streets are solidly black middle class. Some black people dont care what white people consider desirable. We get alot of house for our money and are quite confortable with our surroundings.

Sonny
Sunrise
Frankella
Reynolds
calistoga
crestlin dr
crestline court
parkhill dr
fairlawn
Thanks for pointing out this area. I have to say, I don't ride my bike way out there and don't know that neighborhood. It isn't the most bike friendly direction and I don't know what I would ride out there for, other than a joy ride, which I don't do very often since I commute on bike a lot. I looked at the area on the map and it looks nice. Nice yards and looks inviting.

Thanks again for teaching me an area of our region.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Thanks for pointing out this area. I have to say, I don't ride my bike way out there and don't know that neighborhood. It isn't the most bike friendly direction and I don't know what I would ride out there for, other than a joy ride, which I don't do very often since I commute on bike a lot. I looked at the area on the map and it looks nice. Nice yards and looks inviting.

Same here. I always presumed that was a nicer neighborhood of adjacent Wilkinsburg (and as I said there is a sizeable AA middle-class community in the nicer parts of Wilkinsburg).

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Same here. I always presumed that was a nicer neighborhood of adjacent Wilkinsburg (and as I said there is a sizeable AA middle-class community in the nicer parts of Wilkinsburg).
That is Pittsburgh and we pay Pittsburgh taxes and our children attend Pittsburgh Public schools. The nicer parts of Easthills are overshadowed by the once infamous housing community that no longer exist. It was redeveloped and still has some issues but nothing like the former.

The nicer parts of East Hills are no different than the Blackridge sections of Wilkinsburg/Penn Hills/Churchill.

Most of these homes are owned and occupied by working black folk.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Every neighborhood that is considered BAD has black middle class pockets with well maintained homes. The Hill, Homewood, Wilkinsburg, and many others have black middle class areas.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
That is Pittsburgh and we pay Pittsburgh taxes and our children attend Pittsburgh Public schools. The nicer parts of Easthills are overshadowed by the once infamous housing community that no longer exist. It was redeveloped and still has some issues but nothing like the former.

The nicer parts of East Hills are no different than the Blackridge sections of Wilkinsburg/Penn Hills/Churchill.

Most of these homes are owned and occupied by working black folk.
I didn't know the PJ's of East Hills were torn down, and I must admit being a 30 something Female Buppie when you say "East Hills" my mind immediately goes to the West Side of Robinson Blvd and Wilner Dr. the East Side is Penn Hills/Blackridge.

Good to know that East Hills is making a change for the better.

I have stayed out of these Race Baiting threads for the most part because the arguments are always the same narrow mindedness that never advances.

But seriously if you think Pittsburgh is a racially segregated city....I implore you to visit some of these other cities, seriously some have no idea what "Real Segregation" even looks like...I've seen it first hand and Pittsburgh aint it not even close.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 02-14-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh