Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 AM

59 posts, read 130,976 times

Advertisements

My wife and I only moved here a year and a half ago and she's already been nabbed for jury duty. Normally we wouldn't care that much if it was someplace like Westmoreland County where it's easy to get in and out, but driving into the city is something I only do when I have to and I'm not a fan of it because I don't like driving in the city.

Anyway, I live in Robinson Township and she has to be there on Tuesday, the day after MLK Day, at 8:30 AM.

So my questions are:

1. It would usually take me about 30 minutes to get there. Since I will be going during rush hour, should I leave an hour earlier?

2. I took my wife to CMU back in the summer a few times, and from what I can, I need to head that way, right? I think I need to take the first right exit after going through the tunnel and over the bridge, but instead of going all the way to Oakland, I take a an exit for Grant Street, right?

3. Will it be busy by the courthouse around 8:00 or 8:15, and can I just drop her off on the corner? I assume there's nowhere to park there, except for pay parking, which seems pointless, since I'm just dropping her off. And I will have to pick her up probably around 4:00 PM, too, I guess, so can I simply pick her up right in front, too?

4. After I drop her off and pick her up do I just circle around the building (all rights), until I get back on Grant Street, then reverse course and get back on the road that leads to the bridge, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
...she has to be there on Tuesday, the day after MLK Day, at 8:30 AM.
She's already late.

Yes, get off at Grant St. Half an hour earlier would probably work, but there's never any guarantee that you won't spend an hour and a half on Greentree Hill, if there's an accident or something near the tunnels.

Maybe somebody else can get more specific about the driving around the block part.

The only time I was there, I wasn't chosen, so we were let go shortly after lunch. She might need to be picked up earlier than 4 if that happens.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,510 times
I've dropped off my aunt right on Ross Street, which puts you in perfectly fine walking distance to the courthouse.

Ross & Grant parallel one another by the way.

Btw, if you can navigate around Robinson Town Centre and the surrounding roads and stand that, driving in the city should be a cake walk for you!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
She's already late.
I think he meant President's day.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I meant President's Day, of course!!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Stick her on a 28X and be done with it. The jury duty pay will even cover the bus fare.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think he meant President's day.
Gee golly. That had never occurred to me...

Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post

1. It would usually take me about 30 minutes to get there. Since I will be going during rush hour, should I leave an hour earlier?

2. I took my wife to CMU back in the summer a few times, and from what I can, I need to head that way, right? I think I need to take the first right exit after going through the tunnel and over the bridge, but instead of going all the way to Oakland, I take a an exit for Grant Street, right?

3. Will it be busy by the courthouse around 8:00 or 8:15, and can I just drop her off on the corner? I assume there's nowhere to park there, except for pay parking, which seems pointless, since I'm just dropping her off. And I will have to pick her up probably around 4:00 PM, too, I guess, so can I simply pick her up right in front, too?

4. After I drop her off and pick her up do I just circle around the building (all rights), until I get back on Grant Street, then reverse course and get back on the road that leads to the bridge, right?
1. Yes. That will also allow her time to get through the security. Sometimes there is a good sized line to get into the Courthouse.

2. Yes to Grant Street exit.

3. There should be no reason that you can't put on your flashers and pull over for a minute to let her out and/or pick her up.

4. I believe so. But downtown isn't that big so even if you get turned the wrong way you'll figure it out eventually.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh