Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM

38 posts, read 59,471 times

Advertisements

So I was looking at the Auto Show website and it has a picture of Opel Ampera right on the main page:
Pittsburgh International AutoShow, Official Website

Ampera is Chevy Volt's European sibling. Maybe GM is taking a clue from Ford and moving on with the international platforms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,847,944 times
Ewwe. Oddity is kind. I don't like it.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,948,233 times
GM has sold a bunch of what are basically rebadged Opels in the U.S. over the years, and also Holdens and so forth.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 PM

38 posts, read 59,471 times
Pontiace G8 was a Holden Commodore. Saturn Astra - Opel Astra, Saturn Aura - Opel Vectra (I think). The Aveo was Daewoo and the new replacement is I believe also on Daewoo platform.
Maybe they were going with a picture that will not favor any of the auto makers at the show. Nice try but still a fail since they left the badge clearly displayed.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,862,432 times
Could be just a website designer wanting to put a cool looking car on the space, just googled cars & chose that one for no particular reason other then its aesthetics

Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,601,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Could be just a website designer wanting to put a cool looking car on the space, just googled cars & chose that one for no particular reason other then its aesthetics
This is the most likely explanation. While the designs might now be similar or even the same in some cases, and also in some cases they are using the same model names, there is no sign I'm aware of that GM plans to use the Opel brand name here. They are starting to use some of the US names abroad more though. Chevy is starting to be used abroad in some cases, I think. Buick has been big in China for several years now which is a big reason why they kept that one while nixing Pontiac. (Why they had to be all or nothing about it is another matter though; they could have kept some of Pontiac's good products like the G8 and branded them as something else instead, Chevy or Buick.)

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,127,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
This is the most likely explanation. While the designs might now be similar or even the same in some cases, and also in some cases they are using the same model names, there is no sign I'm aware of that GM plans to use the Opel brand name here. They are starting to use some of the US names abroad more though. Chevy is starting to be used abroad in some cases, I think. Buick has been big in China for several years now which is a big reason why they kept that one while nixing Pontiac. (Why they had to be all or nothing about it is another matter though; they could have kept some of Pontiac's good products like the G8 and branded them as something else instead, Chevy or Buick.)
I wish they kept Pontiac in some sorts. I would have been happy to see Pontiac stay in some form as more of a performance brand but it's still good to see GM is doing well again.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,862,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I wish they kept Pontiac in some sorts. I would have been happy to see Pontiac stay in some form as more of a performance brand but it's still good to see GM is doing well again.
I wouldn't be surprised if Pontiac was revived years down the road, it seems like too strong a brand name to completely abandon. I predict it will see a second coming like the camaro.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,879,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
GM has sold a bunch of what are basically rebadged Opels in the U.S. over the years, and also Holdens and so forth.
I learned to drive in an Opel GT back in the day. Wasn't the best car on the road, but kind of cool.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,915,252 times
The Chevy Cruze is a global car...............the US version is made in nearby Lordstown, Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh