Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There are toon museums in Belgium and elsewhere in Europe.
The Brussels toon museum is doing very well with the release of TinTin.

Great news to hear about the Pittsburgh ToonSeum.
This used to be in my old stomping grounds. It was pretty cool. But the fact that it didn't make it in either the NYC Metro or in FL certainly makes one wonder if such a venture is sustainable long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
This used to be in my old stomping grounds. It was pretty cool. But the fact that it didn't make it in either the NYC Metro or in FL certainly makes one wonder if such a venture is sustainable long-term.
Too bad ToonSeum didn't land their collection. Sounds as if OSU and Columbus could put together a really good museum. They have some very valuable pieces.

I'd think ToonSeum could relocate to Oakland to feed off the other museums. It can work but it must promote itself well and be considered amongst Pittsburgh's attractions. Wonder if it is eligible for grants from the RAD tax?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 5,259 times
Default ToonSeum growing

We actually did a really extensive 400 page study that included on where we should locate. Downtown was chosen for a lot of good reasons, some of which you are beginning to see with the increase of people living downtown, tourism, and more. What you are seeing is an intentional plan at a paced sustainable growth plan. Oakland is problematic, if we would have built there 100 years ago like the Carnegie that would be a different story.

Remember that the Warhol was in a tiny office for ten years before they ever even broke grown on a museum! We wanted to be able to build interest and educate the region as we grow.
The main thing is support and educating foundations and the community on this art form. Building a fan base is what enables us to grow.

We do receive grants from several regional and national foundations including the Grable Foundation, Pittsburgh Foundation, Fine Foundation, R. K. Mellon Foundation, National Cartoonist Society Foundation, and Will and Ann Eisner Family Foundation, and others.

I will tell you that not all of the Mort Walker collection went to OSU, we actually did receive pieces from that, as well as the entire collection from The Ticonderoga Cartoon Museum when it closed and several private collections.
All told we have over 2500-3000 pieces of original art in our collection and it continues to grow. We added a large collection of 100 Brenda Starr strips last year, and receive donated pieces about every month.
We also share art and exhibitions with our sister museums.

What you see of the ToonSeum now is not the end game but part of a strategic growth plan.

As you can see we do follow a lot of different discussions about this sort of thing. But the most proactive thing people can do is volunteer or donate! That is ultimately the only way any non-profit or museum can thrive.

Thanks for the input!
and again feel free to email me at joe@toonseum.com with ideas and suggestions we welcome the publics input.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM

ToonSeum's future looks promising. Support from foundations is crucial for a museum whose art is mostly considered a ephemeral commercial product.

The Reuben Awards move to different cities. Have you and Pittsburgh hosted one? Maybe work the local foundations to offer the National Cartoonists Society a home in Pittsburgh within a new and larger ToonSeum?

And does ToonSeum promote itself at local and outside Anime/Manga conventions? I'm sure you know that is a hot genre and with Toonseum's purview.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Looks pretty cool, but Boca Raton?
Wouldn't the humidity be a problem in the long run?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Looks pretty cool, but Boca Raton?
Wouldn't the humidity be a problem in the long run?
Humidity can be controlled. I just wonder if most people would rather spend their time at the beach. Too bad that ToonSeum's timing of starting and the National Cartoon Museum's closing didn't coincide. Pittsburgh along with Joe Wos' dedication would have been a good match and the ToonSeum could have really hit the ground running.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 AM

Default ToonSeum

I cannot officially comment on the Reuben awards yet. But will say that is just one part of the ToonSeum's plans and that a deal is already done but I cant give specifics.
A lot of goes on with the ToonSeum we simply don't announce while we are working on it.
We have been bringing several big conferences, comic conventions and more to Pittsburgh for tours as a potential host site.
We host PIX every year the Pittsburgh Indy Comics Expo, and several mini cons throughout the year.
BUT all of this is unimportant if all people do is talk about ideas for what we can do if they don't show support.
Foundation support is important but foundations won't support museums that dont have the publics support.
If you are interested in seeing the ToonSeum continue to grow, then support us. attend our upcoming fundraiser with Playboy legend Doug Sneyd Martinis and Toons with Legendary Playboy Cartoonist Doug... - Eventbrite or get a ToonSeum membership, volunteer, or simply make a donation to the ToonSeum.
We have accomplished a lot in a very short time and have some big plans for the future, but we cannot do it without fans.
Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 AM

Default conventions

Yes, we promote heavily at conventions. I am on my way to Chicago for C2e2 this week.
We have exhibited at:
San Diego Comic Con
New York Comic Con
C2E2
Dragon Con, atlanta
Pittsburgh Comic Con
Steel City Con
Pure Speculation (edmonton canada!)
Tekkoshocon
Anthrocon
We are also attending a convention in Belgium this year.
and a list of cons that goes on and on.
We attended 2 national conventions, and 4 local conventions at minimum every single year. We are the only museum in Pittsburgh to exhibit at this number of conventions outside of Pittsburgh. But that's because we know that our demographics is made up of largely tourist. We have been consistently surprised at the number of fans we have from outside of pennsylvania and outside of the US.
Our goal is to promote both the ToonSeum and Pittsburgh as a pop/geek culture destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh