Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
BTW, is there any way to find out the overall millage increase for a borough or township? I didn't see these values on the county site.
If you mean the total assessed value increase, it was calculated and published in the Post Gazette after the eastern wave, and I assume will be for other waves as well:

Fairness questioned in new assessments for eastern suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
These new assessments are messed up. My house was built in 2006, with the neighbors being built between 2002 and 2010. My new assessment is $10k less than the purchase price, and I've done about $50k worth of permitted improvements to the place. All of my neighbors places are the same way. I didn't see a single one that was at or above purchase price. Overall assessment still went up $20k, but so did all of my neighbors. It seems like they just picked a number and added it on to every house in the plan.

BTW, is there any way to find out the overall millage increase for a borough or township? I didn't see these values on the county site.
It would be nice if there was transparency in how these values were calculated. What do you expect though?

I posted my experience already, our new assessment was 25% more than what we just paid for it a few months ago (which was at a similar price to the indepedent appraisal value). That 25% difference would translate into roughly a 10% increase in our monthly mortgage payment compared to paying taxes on the price we paid (assuming around a 2.5% tax rate in the city of Pittsburgh which I think will be the ballpark we end up in). It won't force us into foreclosure, but its not trivial and something we will notice. If we hadn't just bought the property, it would be pretty hard to fight and we'd likely end up eating the extra expense or hiring a lawyer and eating that expense instead. Screwed either way... again, in the interest of "fairness."

I'm waiting to see what our other (now a rental) house in Ross appraises for, we recently refinanced it this summer so I have an indepedent appraisal for that one too.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
It would be nice if there was transparency in how these values were calculated. What do you expect though?

I posted my experience already, our new assessment was 25% more than what we just paid for it a few months ago (which was at a similar price to the indepedent appraisal value). That 25% difference would translate into roughly a 10% increase in our monthly mortgage payment compared to paying taxes on the price we paid (assuming around a 2.5% tax rate in the city of Pittsburgh which I think will be the ballpark we end up in). It won't force us into foreclosure, but its not trivial and something we will notice. If we hadn't just bought the property, it would be pretty hard to fight and we'd likely end up eating the extra expense or hiring a lawyer and eating that expense instead. Screwed either way... again, in the interest of "fairness."

I'm waiting to see what our other (now a rental) house in Ross appraises for, we recently refinanced it this summer so I have an indepedent appraisal for that one too.

You don't need a lawyer and you can skip the informal appeal. Scan the appraisal and sales agreement and email it to the county. They will adjust the value accordingly.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If you mean the total assessed value increase, it was calculated and published in the Post Gazette after the eastern wave, and I assume will be for other waves as well:

Fairness questioned in new assessments for eastern suburbs
Wow, look at Oakmont and Verona. They are in the same school district. The wealthier Oakmont residents are going to be really taking a hit there.

It is an interesting study. I mean if you tax Shadyside at purchase price they would have some wildly high tax bills. Of course everyone can afford that $14K a year, right? Why not? Then you look at a home in a very poor area with some super low assessment like $14K and it goes up to $20K. The tax bill is still a few hundred bucks, so not much harm.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM

Not to be argumentative, but can you provide any evidence that this will actually be effective? And where it should be sent to?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Not to be argumentative, but can you provide any evidence that this will actually be effective? And where it should be sent to?
You mean this reassessment? No one can really prove it will happen at this time. It probably will though. Nothing is 100% on this stuff. How many delays have taken place so far? Will it go to 2014? 15? Never? Who knows?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Sorry, no, that was directed at Copanut's response that you just need to scan your appraisal and sales agreement and your assessment will be adjusted accordingly.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 AM

You can call the assessment office and ask for the email address, I believe it is this:

appeals@county.allegheny.pa.us

Check on your assessment notice, I believe it might be there. The informal appeal is merely handing over information that you deem necessary to make your case, no final decision is made at that hearing. The info will be reviewed and a decision will be made at a later date. Again, call and confirm the email address.

With a recent sales agreement, assuming it is arms-length, it will be a slam dunk.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM

89 posts, read 135,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
I think I've posted this a bunch of times by now in various threads, but I'm in a similar position. I took the sales agreement and independent appraisal that was done at the time of purchase to my informal review, and the folks at the assessment office indicated that there is a very good chance that my value will be decreased significantly, possibly to exactly reflect the purchase price (which was the same as the assessed value in the independent appraisal).

So, if what they told me is reliable, and you have an independent appraisal to go along with the sales agreement, yep, you probably have a very good chance. Did you schedule your informal review? If not, here's the link:

Informal Reviews

I'd also schedule a formal appeal too, just in case. Better safe then sorry. Hopefully, you get a nice reduction straight away, though. It sounds like your reassessed value is way off. I'm shocked, haha.
I'd also recommend giving them a call instead of filling out the online form (the phone number is on that website as well). Calling to schedule only takes a few minutes, and at times they don't even check the online forms (someone at the office told me this). Good luck.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghLlama View Post
I'd also recommend giving them a call instead of filling out the online form (the phone number is on that website as well). Calling to schedule only takes a few minutes, and at times they don't even check the online forms (someone at the office told me this). Good luck.

What office? Where you work or the county office?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh