Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I asked what people are using to block off the sound.
We talked about drape, blinds, double pane windows etc...That's it. Then the thread got hacked.

Seems to me like Drapes it is.

THREAD CLOSED. Thank you to those to were nice enough to give suggestions and stayed on topic.
YOU DON'T close threads here. I don't care if the thread got jacked, you still posted contradictory stuff. Here is an idea. Be more truthful to those on this board. We all remember stuff and who posts what. If you can live in Manchester, you can live on a quiet street. It is a big place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Threads go where they go. That's the internet. Don't like it? Run your own message board where you can lock them.

Nothing on this thread is off-topic to the idea of dealing with street noise in a house. Choosing a house carefully is an aspect of that.

If you're renting it makes sense to say so because then people won't waste time posting ideas that won't work in a rental house.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Wouldn't you get better answers in this forum?

//www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Looking at all these threads, I really have no idea what you are asking. I mean, you HAVE to buy a home on a busy street and then you ask about Manchester? That made NO sense! Cutting a tree down where you rent? Not your place to do so, unless the landlord is okay with it. I wouldn't be and I am a landlord.

Seems you are here to complain. I don't understand your line of posts. You clearly can move wherever you like, so a busy street isn't a MUST. If you want to know about soundproofing, as in an honest manner. In other words, just ask the question and leave out the MUST live on a busy street because that is ALL there is. BS!
Dude, chill.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
What is so contradictory?

Please specify! where have I NOT been truthful exactly?

I don't live in Manchester!? where is that?

I know, I was hoping there was a mod around to close it. If this was happening on the Tampa board, this thread would have been closed a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
YOU DON'T close threads here. I don't care if the thread got jacked, you still posted contradictory stuff. Here is an idea. Be more truthful to those on this board. We all remember stuff and who posts what. If you can live in Manchester, you can live on a quiet street. It is a big place.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Probably, but I was curious as to what the LOCALS here do, on these particular roads.

That one can be pretty general, in Florida for example our house was close to a Toll Highway, yet there was no noise in the house at any given time. And it had no sound wall either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Wouldn't you get better answers in this forum?

//www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
What is so contradictory?

Please specify! where have I NOT been truthful exactly?

I don't live in Manchester!? where is that?

I know, I was hoping there was a mod around to close it. If this was happening on the Tampa board, this thread would have been closed a while ago.
I think he's referring to this thread you started...

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...um-called.html

Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Probably, but I was curious as to what the LOCALS here do, on these particular roads.

That one can be pretty general, in Florida for example our house was close to a Toll Highway, yet there was no noise in the house at any given time. And it had no sound wall either.
I used to shut my windows and deal with it. I knew where I lived. If you are looking for decorating tips on it, you may get a better (and maybe an answer you are looking for) there. Good luck

Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
In Florida I've heard them called "Buried Elephants" or "Elephant Burial Grounds."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I've always called earthworks like that a "berm".
Hmmmm..... wonder if berm is one of those words that started off as an acronym. You know, like Buried Elephant in Recession of Mound?

Algia, while some of the ideas in this thread may not be helpful to you, they might help other people in similar situations. Hundreds of people read these threads, often stumbling upon them via search engines (and sometimes they find them years after they're posted.) This thread may very well be resurrected 5 years from now by someone who owns a house and can do projects like building a berm.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Sadly, it appears to be Dutch by way of French, and is associated with the origin-word for "brim" as applied to dikes:

Berm - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

A short article reflecting the usage as I was relating it:

Quote:
A basic berm can be created simply by mounding soil, and is almost always found in close proximity to a trench or another dug out area. . . . Many road construction crews also create this type of berm, which helps to serve as a sound baffle for neighboring homes, while excavating land for a new road. . . . In landscaping and architecture, many green designers use berms extensively. Because berms have a natural look and feel to them, they can help insulate a home from noise and wind without being obtrusive, like a fence. The berm itself can be landscaped with grasses and trees to give it a more natural look and feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh