Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,760,709 times

Advertisements

We just visited Pittsburgh again for a more indept scouting trip. We visited three schools and saw homes in both areas. They all were very nice areas ; Fox Chapel, Hampton and Quaker valley.

Kids liked Quaker valley most of all. I did also, but didnt give any input into it. I loved the fact that the village of Sewickley is nice and walkable. Fox chapel was their other choice.

We did look at homes in Edgeworth and Sewickely. What other areas feed into this school district? We are looking to keep the budget under 400,000.

Thanks. Loved Pittsburgh again. Brought my friend and her three kids (yes, we toured with 5 kids!!) and even though she is a New Yorker, she loved Pittsburgh and was amazed at the building going on, the friendlyiness of everyone.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,895,370 times
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!

This Wikipedia page lists all the communities in Quaker Valley (it is a lot):

Quaker Valley School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not an expert on that area but I do think you can find at least somewhat less expensive housing in some of those communities (I'm thinking Aleppo, Glenfield, Bell Acres, Leet Township, Leetsdale--basically the ring around the core, typically more expensive, communities).

Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,488,583 times
The local real estate websites, Howard Hanna, Prudential Preferred, etc. allow you to do a search by school district.

Only you can decide if 400,000 is enough for the area. For some that may be a tight budget if you have to live in the village.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The local real estate websites, Howard Hanna, Prudential Preferred, etc. allow you to do a search by school district.

Only you can decide if 400,000 is enough for the area. For some that may be a tight budget if you have to live in the village.
The Hanna one lets you search by map too and just click on the points to see each house. (Maybe the others do this now as well, but for a while they were the only one.)

$400k might be tight for some of that area depending upon the specs. If you must have 4BR, for example, that might get a little harder.

Only Sewickley proper and to some extent Edgeworth and parts of Glen Osborne allow you to walk into town. Maybe Leetsdale if you push it a little. The farther flung areas like Leet Township and Bell Acres and Aleppo are going to require driving really, although driving down to the village as they call it and then walking around still might be appealing. Parts of these will feel almost rural, though, which may be appealing depending upon what you like. Leet and Bell Acres have houses all over the dial price-wise, from small ones in the couple hundred range to million dollar places. Aleppo generally has less of the high priced ones. Sewickley Heights is in the school district too, but so few of those are not large estates that you'll be highly unlikely to find something up there. There's also lesser known Sewickley Hills, which I think is not like the estates of the Heights, probably more all over the place price-wise.

Parts of the northern area in Quaker Valley school district could put you closer driving distance to Wexford and Cranberry (or nearly so anyway) than the village due to the way the roads are (winding and hilly and never straight in the direction you need ). This is mostly Bell Acres and Sewickley Hills that would be like that, but arguably parts of Leet, perhaps, and maybe Aleppo could also be that way.

Best bet is as robrob suggested, to search something like Howard Hanna by school district and price range, and see what that turns up for you. The sites from local agencies all show all listings in the MLS, though they will show their own listings first in the results.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,807,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Best bet is as robrob suggested, to search something like Howard Hanna by school district and price range, and see what that turns up for you. The sites from local agencies all show all listings in the MLS, though they will show their own listings first in the results.
If I was moving to that region, I would use Prudential Preferred Realty. They have the market share and have a really good office. I know one really bad agent at Howard Hanna and I wouldn't want you to be stuck with her. No ethics at all!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
If I was moving to that region, I would use Prudential Preferred Realty. They have the market share and have a really good office. I know one really bad agent at Howard Hanna and I wouldn't want you to be stuck with her. No ethics at all!
Good stuff.

BTW I wasn't recommending any agent, just a web site for search. I wouldn't know who to recommend there. Hanna's site has been better for search in the past, at least if you like to search visually by putting all the search results on the map at once. I've found that feature rather useful.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,972,490 times
Congrats! That's my favorite part of the metro area, too. Sewickley in particular seems like a nice place to live.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,895,370 times
All the local real estate websites are criminally bad, but I do tend to default to Howard Hanna for broad searching.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM

377 posts, read 649,571 times
Good choice. I love Sewickley. I live in the Sewickley zip code but not really Sewickley. Maybe one day....

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,075,690 times
Speaking of Sewickley:

Vacant car dealership could be movie theater and offices in Sewickley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh