Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think there is more in play than government. It takes a person or some people to create what you want. For example, I grew up in Oakmont and played basketball and volleyball 5 nights a week at the school gym. The gym teacher opened the gym for a small fee. I think I paid $1 to play each night except one night of volleyball that was $2. Yes, I had to pay, but someone let us play. I go back to that town all the time. Guess how many nights the gym is open now? Zero. That gym teacher retired and no one picked up the ball. We were lucky to have a place to go almost EVERY night! Do you think that changed my life for the better? Of course it did. What would I have done every night if that wasn't open? Who knows? I also remember the teacher giving me the keys to the gym if he couldn't make it. That was very rare, but imagine how that made me feel that he trusted me. I will never forget the first time he asked me to open and close the gym down. I was just some kid and not a geek type. More of a rebel.

Your story along with thousands of others serves as proof that if kids had something productive to do they are less likely to get into any trouble. This the reason why I wonder why they make the various rec centers unavailable and at the same time complain about the increase in crime. If people like ourselves can see what a difference that it made in our lives why can't the politicians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Your story along with thousands of others serves as proof that if kids had something productive to do they are less likely to get into any trouble. This the reason why I wonder why they make the various rec centers unavailable and at the same time complain about the increase in crime. If people like ourselves can see what a difference that it made in our lives why can't the politicians?
I think politicians are too far removed. They are all super wealthy and we vote them in that way. Do you think the current people in the big political arena care about some gym in a city that closed? They belong to clubs for a few grand a year and have formal sports and training. They don't understand that public gym. Only rich get in, because they can buy more negative ads. Anyway, people in communities CAN make a difference. Even one person. Find that school gym and try and get permission to hold basketball or whatever sport a certain number of nights a week. It could be done, but takes people or even one person. I don't think we will ever get anything like that from a government. Has to be from within each community. My memories of that gym are great. I was very lucky to be able to walk to the gym. It was closed in the summer, but it was light late enough to play b-ball outside or other sports.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
My point is that if they can find money to put the youths in jail why can't they find money to keep them busy/productive?
Because having a strong police force is a must for all of society. Of course there will be more police in inner city areas because that appears to be a high crime area. However, spending our tax dollars trying to keep kids busy is not our responsibility and is not a must for society.

I never went to one rec center or after school program in my entire life and believe it or not, never had a run in with the law when I was a kid, or as an adult. Do you know why? Because if I did I knew when I got home there would be hell to pay. Infact, I would be better off just not going home again had I ever been actually arrested.

So in otherwords, the kid of a good parent will behave regardless of whether or not the parent can maintain a constant presence or not.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-28-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

So in otherwords, the kid of a good parent will behave regardless of whether or not the parent can maintain a constant presence or not.
True.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
But as a practical matter, doesn't society benefit from somebody stepping in and doing what some parents are failing to do? It may not be government's "responsibility", but one could argue, for example, that taking care of the needs of senior citizens isn't either. Don't they have children to do that?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
But as a practical matter, doesn't society benefit from somebody stepping in and doing what some parents are failing to do? It may not be government's "responsibility", but one could argue, for example, that taking care of the needs of senior citizens isn't either. Don't they have children to do that?
I see where you are coming from and I agree.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think politicians are too far removed. They are all super wealthy and we vote them in that way. Do you think the current people in the big political arena care about some gym in a city that closed? They belong to clubs for a few grand a year and have formal sports and training. They don't understand that public gym. Only rich get in, because they can buy more negative ads. Anyway, people in communities CAN make a difference. Even one person. Find that school gym and try and get permission to hold basketball or whatever sport a certain number of nights a week. It could be done, but takes people or even one person. I don't think we will ever get anything like that from a government. Has to be from within each community. My memories of that gym are great. I was very lucky to be able to walk to the gym. It was closed in the summer, but it was light late enough to play b-ball outside or other sports.
Do you want something really sad? The Hill, despite the numerous amount of athletes that came from there never had any real organized pee wee football until a few of the drug dealers put up the money to sponser some teams. This held true for a few of the Kennard basketball teams that play diferent parts of the city and even the Pitt players from time to time. While the city does nothing, and then thaey wonder why some of the kids look up to the drug dealer

Last edited by simetime; 02-29-2012 at 07:50 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Here's an idea. Get a hundred minorities and dress them up in Klan garb and infiltrate the meeting. LOL That should raise a few eyebrows from the Grand Lizard and his manure salesmen.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Not really, many of the children are doing worst than their parents. this holds true especially in poor neighborhoods. What about the kids that leave the area because of lack of jobs? What about those whose relationship with their parents is strained? What if they never had kids? I feel that seniors have paid their dues by working in some of the worst conditions and have lived through everything from the depression to the civil rights riots and assinations of some of our greatest leaders. Why should'nt the government help them? They are a great natural resource, especially for information

Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Not really, many of the children are doing worst than their parents. this holds true especially in poor neighborhoods. What about the kids that leave the area because of lack of jobs? What about those whose relationship with their parents is strained? What if they never had kids? I feel that seniors have paid their dues by working in some of the worst conditions and have lived through everything from the depression to the civil rights riots and assinations of some of our greatest leaders. Why should'nt the government help them? They are a great natural resource, especially for information
You missed my point. I said "one could argue", just to illustrate the point that sometimes practical matters trump actual "responsibility", not to enter a discussion of whether seniors deserve government help or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh