Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:51 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times

Advertisements

Since we are in the discussion, here are some possible lines that would become heavily used and help immensely with lowering the cost per rider that PAT wants so desperately to happen:

Future Pittsburgh T Lines

Now we just have to convince the government to pay for it.

FYI: I had some real trouble trying to take the North Side Line on a useful path due to the NS Connector...

(Figured this deserved it's own thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
I just checked this out from the link in the other thread, and I really like it, especially the loop. I think if the loop were to be built first, and the East Busway remained in service, you have yourself a really good start.

I'm not sure how the North line works as I'm less familiar with the area, but what I do understand is the NSC kind of makes things tougher for the residental areas there.

Someone pull some $$ out of a hat!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I think those are good proposals. I might note I have seen that basic theme before--Spine Line plus a loop around the Hill that includes the South Side--and I mean that as a compliment: multiple sophisticated people have understood that those basic concepts would address some of our most pressing rapid transit needs.

Of course money is a huge issue--that is a multi-billion dollar capital project. But I also believe such investments would be warranted, and I think the coalition of people who share that understanding is gradually growing.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
My husband and I thought that the Northside Station should have been put somewhere (Allegheny Center??) to serve as a Transfer station.
For buses and for a spine line that ran downriver towards Beaver County.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
I prefer the big picture. Monroeville to Oakland to Downtown and out to the airport. That would do a lot. Really, it should be a lot more by now

Lost Tracks | Features | Pittsburgh City Paper

Cleveland's probably much further along and it connects up with the airport.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
FYI: I had some real trouble trying to take the North Side Line on a useful path due to the NS Connector...

(Figured this deserved it's own thread)
what if you extend the current nsc one stop into the chateau (north ave which may be reconnected), then treat the rest of the northside separately, diverging after the pnc stop, through (or under) the community college parking lot to brighton rd. alternately, skip general robinson as well, diverging north prior to the first north shore stop, and head under allegheny ctr with the first stop dead ctr in the commons, thence following federal to fineview. you are still using the tunnel and the nice new gateway station and reviving the old fineview trolley, in a sense.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I prefer the big picture. Monroeville to Oakland to Downtown and out to the airport. That would do a lot. Really, it should be a lot more by now

Lost Tracks | Features | Pittsburgh City Paper

Cleveland's probably much further along and it connects up with the airport.
I really think that's a fabulous article. I've read it probably 20 times and still can't finish it without being angry.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I heard that someday they wanted to extend the North Shore connector across the Ohio and to take it to the airport but I may be wrong too.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I prefer the big picture. Monroeville to Oakland to Downtown and out to the airport.
That's the big mileage picture, but not necessarily the big ridership picture. Actual North Side (meaning where people live) to Oakland, for example, may be a lot fewer miles than the airport to Oakland, but it would likely serve a lot more riders.

In fact assuming money does not start raining from the skies, I'd suggest both of those end-points--Monroeville and the airport--are logically addressed with Busway projects: an extension of the East Busway to Monroeville, and completing the West Busway into Downtown.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
diverging after the pnc stop, through (or under) the community college parking lot to brighton rd. alternately, skip general robinson as well, diverging north prior to the first north shore stop, and head under allegheny ctr with the first stop dead ctr in the commons, thence following federal to fineview.
Due to Monument Hill being in the way by the time you are at the North Side stop, I think the second plan (diverting north after the river for a straight run to Federal) makes more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh