Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 AM

19 posts, read 54,728 times

Advertisements

We recently relocated to Pittsburgh (from NC) with our 3-year-old daughter. Trying to come up with a list of things to do. Seems like there is a lot more to do in the summer months (Kennywood, Pirates games, parks, etc.) but we're going a bit stir-crazy in the winter.

Here's what we've done so far:

Children's Museum
Carnegie Science Center
Trolley Museum (Washington, PA)
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium
National Aviary

What other must-sees and dos are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times
That's a pretty big list compared to many other cities! I think 3-year olds enjoy going back to play at the same places over and over. We went weekly with my son to the science museum at that age and he enjoyed it every time. I would suggest getting a membership to the Carnegie.
I also recommend the Fiddlesticks concert series with the Pittsburgh symphony. I also think a 3-year old would enjoy the incline and Phipps. Also Public Libraries have storytimes and other events for kids.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times
there are indoor 'parks' at some malls just for more relaxing days. you can get some shopping done, get a book and sit down at mr. rogers neighborhood at monroeville mall or something, while your kid plays.
a lot of libraries have readings for kids.
make friends with people in his/her preschool and have play dates.
put her in dance and gymnastics, something like that.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I agree about getting memberships a couple places and doing repeats--young kids usually like that.

Anywhere, there are a variety of indoor play options (places like Bounce U. and My Little Outback).

Organized sports may also be an option. For example, you can do indoor soccer with Dynamo starting at age 4. Our martial arts studio has classes starting at age 3.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:28 AM

377 posts, read 652,114 times
I have a 2 year old ( will be 3 in April). We have done all you have listed. We just got a membership for the Children's Museum as she loves it there. Plus they have changing exhibits so there is usually something new every few weeks.

We still go to the playground in the winter too. Just bundle her up. Especially this winter we have been able to go quite a bit.

There is an indoor merry go round at Pittsburgh Mills and a decent play area.

Here a few places below (some we have been to and some are on the list of places to check out)

Toys2Try E2 Toys2Try - Where Creativity Meets Fun!
Bounce U Open Bounce at BounceU in Warrendale
My Little Outback My Little Outback - Squirrel Hill/CMU - Pittsburgh | Urbanspoon
Gateway Clipper Good Ship Lollipop ( once warmer)
Soergel's (they have animals, a store, and an outdoor play area)
Wildwood Highlands
Toy Lending Library

Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
My kids are 3 and 4. Idlewild for young kids is great. In the past we had a Children's museum membership. We have a zoo membership now. There are zoo classes which are really affordable. Also, when kids get to about 3 1/2 there are "sports" options. My kids have taken a soccer class, swim lessons and ice skating lessons. There is also Kindermusik and the gym place in Point Breeze. Also, if you live near Hampton there is a bounce place there too.

Haven't tried Peanut Butter and Jam sessions put on by the Chatham Baroque but want to at some point. Has anyone tried them? Can two active boys actually sit through it?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Look into joining a local MOPS group... they plan many fun activities (with and without kids!).

Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Anyone use my little outback? Particularly the under 2 age group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh