Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:36 PM

121 posts, read 367,676 times

Advertisements

I just want to say that if you want good wings, you absolutely have to go to Sharp Edge. I recommend the honey bbq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
As someone who has spent considerable time both in Pittsburgh and Dallas I had to chime in.

Do you want something closer in feel to DFW, or are you ready for a change? IMO Moon and Robinson are most like Dallas. Very suburban, lots of new homes, shopping, and dining. Moon is a lot like Richardson, and Robinson is more like Plano. Most of Pittsburgh is very different than Dallas, but in a good way. Heck Pittsburgh was a city before Texas was even a state.

In most cases you can get more home for you money than in Dallas. People in Pittsburgh actually care for their older homes instead of tearing them down to build McMansions.

Pittsburgh has some great scenery. lots of wooded areas, and tree covered hillsides. The terrain makes driving very different, but you get used to it.

On the flip side Dallas has better public transportation and a much better highway system.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:40 PM

457 posts, read 431,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post

On the flip side Dallas has better public transportation and a much better highway system.
I dunno if I agree about the public transportation, but, you are absolutely correct about the highway system. I am almost starting to dread the loss of that. Still though, all in all, Pittsburgh is FAR and away better than Dallas in just about every way!

Whoever said that Texas Pizz sucks, they are correct. The only possible excpetion is "angelo and Vito's" they're pretty yummy.

The sandwhiches suck in Dallas too. I can't wait to get to the Carson St. Deli. (mmmmmmmmm, deli.) and any one of 1000's of lil Pizza joints, their subs are the BEST, period.

Last edited by PApisces; 09-07-2007 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-07-2007, 03:47 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
The sandwhiches suck in Dallas too.
Gourmet sandwiches are a staple of my life. I love good sandwiches. PApisces, there is a coffee house in the southside called Tuscany. It is not exclusively gay, but is owned, run by, and serves mostly gay people. They have gourmet sandwiches that they make fresh daily I think until the bar closes at 2am! They are SO yummy, you will really dig this place. I often get one of their sandwiches and some coffee with a shot of Bailey's. When Will&Grace was on they used to have Will&Grace Thursday's when a lot of locals of all ages came and watched it and had a few drinks! It has a very nice atmosphere and is on E.Carson.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I dunno if I agree about the public transportation, but, you are absolutely correct about the highway system. I am almost starting to dread the loss of that. Still though, all in all, Pittsburgh is FAR and away better than Dallas in just about every way!

Whoever said that Texas Pizz Sucks, the are correct. The only possible excpetion is "angelo and Vito's" their pretty yummy.

The sandwhiches suck in Dallas too. I can't wait to get to the Carson St. Deli. (mmmmmmmmm, deli.) and any one of 1000's of lil Pizza joints, their subs are the BEST, period.
I could not agree more, Pittsburgh has way better food. There's this little place called East Coast Deli in Moon, they had awesome food. It was just a nice old school deli.

I think what makes Pittsburgh food so much better is you still have a lot of mom and pop independent places. Pittsburgh also has quite the variety of ethnic food. Dallas is drowning in chains, and meat and potatoes kind of places.

I make it a point to go out to eat a lot when I am there. I suppose with the public transportation its more the lesser of two evils. DART is by no means realiable, and they can't seem to link their crossing routes for crap. But there is a good light rail system here, and the bus system is not centered so much on downtown.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Gourmet sandwiches are like a staple of my life. I love good sandwiches. PApisces, there is a coffee house in the southside called Tuscany. It is not exclusively gay, but is owned, run by, and serves mostly gay people. They have gourmet sandwiches that they make fresh daily I think until the bar closes at 2am! They are SO yummy, you will really dig this place. I often get one of their sandwiches and some coffee with a shot of Bailey's. When Will&Grace was on they used to have Will&Grace Thursday's when a lot of locals of all ages came and watched it and had a few drinks! It has a very nice atmosphere and is on E.Carson.
I remember Tuscany's! They were open the last time I visited. Dang it! Now I want a sandwhich! I think it must have something to do with bread west of the mississippi or something...

Even Primanti's sounds yummy right now...

Old 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Dang it! Now I want a sandwhich! I think it must have something to do with bread west of the mississippi or something...

Even Primanti's sounds yummy right now...
The sandwiches are a new addition to their business! They started that roughly two years ago. You could very well be right about location. My uncle who lives in Florida swears up and down that the constant Florida heat and humidity screws up their baking and rising process. He says there are two things you can't get good in Florida and which Pittsburgh has top quality.

1. Bread.
2. Chocolate.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
The sandwiches are a new addition to their business! They started that roughly two years ago. You could very well be right about location. My uncle who lives in Florida swears up and down that the constant Florida heat and humidity screws up their baking and rising process. He says there are two things you can't get good in Florida and which Pittsburgh has top quality.

1. Bread.
2. Chocolate.
There used to be a chocolate store in Fifth Avenue Place that sold the BEST chocolate covered Popcorn...

Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,264 times
Quote:
In terms of building/engineering, yes, it will last for the next year and many years to come, I believe. Pittsburgh is currently entering a renaissance.
Minus the fact that the city itself is two billion dollars in debt and recently declared bankruptcy.

Southern Butler County is doing great, though.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Minus the fact that the city itself is two billion dollars in debt and recently declared bankruptcy.
We've had millions of dollars in surplus going on three years now (actually it might be four), get your facts straight. Things are looking pretty good right now and hopefully the trend will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh