Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I wonder if someone was actually trying to cross McKnight at that crosswalk of death (Google Maps) and it confused drivers.
Wow! Hadn't thought of that. I certainly HAVE driven by that crosswalk any number of times and wondered how anyone could contemplate crossing there. And yet there is a bus stop on the other (southbound) side, with NO other way to get to it....

The accident is driving me nuts though. It was this morning, and it's now 11:30pm, and there are no updates. It doesn't even say which side of the damn road it was on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 AM

8 posts, read 6,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Try to justify. Good luck. 1000lbs means nothing? Center of gravity? Keep dreaming.

Try and stop your SUV in the same distance as my Audi A4. Good luck. I would try an escape the accident though. Why? Because I know the people behind me can't stop because they are driving junk SUVs. My first response is to try and accelerate out of it and maneuver. An SUV doesn't have that option. Good luck keeping up with me on a twisty road. Not happening.
Quote:
According to the EPA, the 2012 Audi A4 gets 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway when equipped with front-wheel drive and the Multitronic transmission. Quattro models get 21/29 mpg and 21/31 mpg city/highway when equipped with automatic or manual transmissions, respectively.
Might as well just drive one of those evil SUVs with fuel economy like that. and a curb weight of 3505 pounds you're looking at about a Chevy Equinox in power, weight, and fuel economy. (3770 lbs, around 200 horsepower, and the Equinox gets 22/32 city/highway base engine to base engine..)

Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
The A4 has all wheel drive which eats up that fuel.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Only if you know how to load a turbo, but I can only discuss things like that on forums that understand how turbos work. It is a 6 speed if you want to read up.
Really man, really?! The high skool kids with their Hondas and fart cans are waiting for you to show up down at the local hangout, which is probably near the Waterworks mall thing for you. You don't know how to load a turbo... hahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farce
2013 Ford Explorer - 4731 pounds
2013 Chevy Impala - 3764 pounds

The difference isn't really that much until you get down into small economy cars, like the Civic Si at 2863 pounds or the Miata at around 2400 pounds.
You might want to look up some articles on kinetic energy, inertia, and finally, vehicle braking forces. A thousand pounds makes a world of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09
Actually, SUV's have better breaks because they have to be designed to stop fully-loaded, which is similar to a loaded pick-up truck.
My VW came from the factory with bigger brakes than most SUV's on the road, and it weighs much less than those SUV's. You can keep telling yourself their designed that way. Then, read articles on the topics above.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That's funny, the only SUV type vehicle I saw in some of the photos were cop cars. Those stinkin' SUV owners, we should send them all to soulless Cranberry to die.
Whoops... There goes hcurtis SUV crusade up in flames!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM

8 posts, read 6,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Whoops... There goes hcurtis SUV crusade up in flames!
There were Pintos involved?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
One thing I've noted and Velvet Jones has also pointed this out is that people just can't seem to understand they need more braking distance with a large vehicle than a car. The tailgating in KC is the worst I've seen. Even the tailgating in Pittsburgh is not as bad as it is in the KC area. I nearly got rear ended on the highway here on Saturday evening by some guy in an SUV that was tailgating me at 65 mph as I was getting into the line to exit the highway. I saw in my rear view mirror that he was not able to see the line of cars that had slowed in front of me (perplexing really because an SUV sits higher off the ground and has better visibility than my puny Yaris) and so I was slowing down as a result. I had to yank my car into the breakdown lane as he started to fishtail while slamming on his brakes as he missed me by a couple of feet as he put his car into the lane to the left of me.

I think that distracted driving (cell phones, talking to people in the car, eating etc.) is one of the culprits that causes accidents like this. The other one being I firmly believe that somehow the spatial skills of the general public has diminished somehow and it seems to me at least in KC, that these idiots cannot accurately judge distance and time to formulate a logical distance to space their cars or SUV's from the vehicles in front.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farce View Post
There were Pintos involved?
Otnip. I think it was only one specific model of the Pinto that exploded. Can't recall which one though.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
One thing I've noted and Velvet Jones has also pointed this out is that people just can't seem to understand they need more braking distance with a large vehicle than a car. The tailgating in KC is the worst I've seen. Even the tailgating in Pittsburgh is not as bad as it is in the KC area. I nearly got rear ended on the highway here on Saturday evening by some guy in an SUV that was tailgating me at 65 mph as I was getting into the line to exit the highway. I saw in my rear view mirror that he was not able to see the line of cars that had slowed in front of me (perplexing really because an SUV sits higher off the ground and has better visibility than my puny Yaris) and so I was slowing down as a result. I had to yank my car into the breakdown lane as he started to fishtail while slamming on his brakes as he missed me by a couple of feet as he put his car into the lane to the left of me.

I think that distracted driving (cell phones, talking to people in the car, eating etc.) is one of the culprits that causes accidents like this. The other one being I firmly believe that somehow the spatial skills of the general public has diminished somehow and it seems to me at least in KC, that these idiots cannot accurately judge distance and time to formulate a logical distance to space their cars or SUV's from the vehicles in front.

I honestly think that people should be required to take a driving or knowledge test of some sort when they renew their license. It's crazy that drivers have to prove their knowledge and skills at 16, but then are trusted to safely maneuver a vehicle for the rest of their lives without anyone ever checking up on them again.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I honestly think that people should be required to take a driving or knowledge test of some sort when they renew their license. It's crazy that drivers have to prove their knowledge and skills at 16, but then are trusted to safely maneuver a vehicle for the rest of their lives without anyone ever checking up on them again.
A written test is useless for retesting. They do that in many states and it does nothing to keep the bad drivers off the road. The best thing to do is put people behind the wheel and test them every few years to see if they can still drive after they've been driving for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh