Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 PM

112 posts, read 161,950 times

Advertisements

Megabus ending service to 2 Ohio cities

Must have more Wolverines than Buckeyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Hmm, no more Toronto. I was thinking about that trip. Oh well, guess I will drive. I have been trying not to drive at all. Not easy. Megabus is still awesome, but I hope they hang on with Pittsburgh.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM

802 posts, read 1,320,885 times
Hope they never cut service between Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Can't understand why Ann Arbor would make it and not Columbus???

Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Hmm, no more Toronto. I was thinking about that trip. Oh well, guess I will drive. I have been trying not to drive at all. Not easy. Megabus is still awesome, but I hope they hang on with Pittsburgh.
I was thinking the same thing. Toronto isn't a bad drive, though definitely more expensive than Megabus.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Toronto isn't a bad drive, though definitely more expensive than Megabus.
Yeah and if you take a bus, you don't have to park. Only drawback is not stopping by Niagara on the Lake to enjoy all those wineries.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Ann Arbor being added has nothing to do with Pittsburgh. They are just extending the Detroit run. Most people going to Ann Arbor will be coming from Detroit, with a few from Toledo. Detroit has already been cut from 3 to 1 trip a day. If it weren't for people going to Cleveland, they would probably eliminate Pittsburgh from this run. The eastbound trips are doing well, but as has been pointed out many times, Pittsburgh is a very east oriented city, and there must not be enough transfers heading west to fill the gap. Akron has been cut as well.

"Overall Pittsburgh is doing well," Moser said. "It seems like it goes well going east from Pittsburgh rather than going west from Pittsburgh." quote from Dick Moser, President of Coach USA, and Megabus.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
It's been said a million times Pittsburgh has almost NO RELATIONSHIP with the Midwest...People try to swear up and down Pittsburgh is a Midwest city simply because its not in the I-95 corridor, and that's the most laughable thing I've ever heard...Pittsburgh is Northeast thru and thru and this just proves it.

From what I hear the Erie Buffalo Toronto route had plenty of ridership Fri - Mon (Sellouts as a matter of fact) its Tues - Thurs that was lacking and Megabus didn't want to just run weekend service, it needed to be able to support 7 day a week service.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
It's been said a million times Pittsburgh has almost NO RELATIONSHIP with the Midwest...People try to swear up and down Pittsburgh is a Midwest city simply because its not in the I-95 corridor, and that's the most laughable thing I've ever heard...Pittsburgh is Northeast thru and thru and this just proves it.

From what I hear the Erie Buffalo Toronto route had plenty of ridership Fri - Mon (Sellouts as a matter of fact) its Tues - Thurs that was lacking and Megabus didn't want to just run weekend service, it needed to be able to support 7 day a week service.
You are 100% right. Going to any of the coast cities seems shorter than a trip to Ohio even and feels more like Pittsburgh too. Midwestern cities give off a rather different vibe than you get in Pittsburgh imo. I took the Pittsburgh to Toronto route in June and that bus was filled with people going to all 3 cities. Very disappointed that route is being cut.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
More specifically, Pittsburgh has pretty strong connections with the cities in eastern and central Ohio, but it weakens dramatically west of there. There's not a whole lot of migration between Pittsburgh and Detroit, Indianapolis, Milwaukee or St. Louis. Even the cities in western Ohio (Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo) have relatively weak connections with Pittsburgh given their distance. The only city west of Columbus that Pittsburgh has a notable connection with is Chicago, and it, too, is relatively weak given Chicago's size, and compared to any other major city between Ohio and Missouri.

Like I've said elsewhere, having a strong connection with certain cities in Ohio doesn't mean that Pittsburgh has a strong connection with the rest of the Midwest by extension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh