Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmarc View Post
We are still getting used to all the quirks about living here in Pittsburgh vs. Washington State and currently our hurdle is trash. The sellers of the house we bought left us some crappy furniture and boxes (ya) and about 30 one gallon cans of paint (double ya!). Anyway, who can tell us how we dispose of this stuff? In Washington you take it to the dump but here I see people putting couches out on the street next to their trash bags for what I assume is garbage pick-up. As for the paint cans we stopped by home depot to ask about paint disposal and the lady told me she just "sells paint" and doesn't know how you get rid of it.

Thanks in advance!
Call your township to find out if there are specific days for putting out large items. Where I live, I can put out furniture, appliances, etc. any collection day.

If the paint gallons are mostly full, take them to Construction Junction, like curtis recommended. It's a building materials recycling center. People will buy that paint to paint their house. If the paint cans are almost empty, just open them up and set them outside until they dry up. Once the paint is completely dry in the can, you can just toss it into the garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 AM

I did a google search.

Allegheny County is having a household chemicals collection at North Park swimming pool parking lot on May 5th.

Allegheny County -- Recycling & Waste Collection

Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Call your township to find out if there are specific days for putting out large items. Where I live, I can put out furniture, appliances, etc. any collection day.

If the paint gallons are mostly full, take them to Construction Junction, like curtis recommended. It's a building materials recycling center. People will buy that paint to paint their house. If the paint cans are almost empty, just open them up and set them outside until they dry up. Once the paint is completely dry in the can, you can just toss it into the garbage.
What township do you live in??? I read the policies in the city of Pittsburgh and it says you are permitted 2 'bulk' items each pick-up day, but they must be under 35lbs each.

For the paint, Construction Junction is the best. I always keep a small amount of the paints I use just for touch-ups and color matching, but leaving gallons and gallons of it behind is just rediculous.

Correction: I just read the guidelines again and it seems I CAN put appliances out on the curb on any pickup day. Life just got simpler since I have an old furnace that wasn't operational. Now I don't have to try and haul it to a scrap yard somewhere. Here's the guideline link: http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/pw/...guidelines.pdf

Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
What township do you live in??? I read the policies in the city of Pittsburgh and it says you are permitted 2 'bulk' items each pick-up day, but they must be under 35lbs each.
Hampton. Any weight. One bulk item per week.

Unlimited for furniture and appliances.

No spas, pianos or large screen televisions though.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How pathetic. Please don't listen to this loser. You don't dump paint down the storm drain. You drop it off at Construction Junction. There are other paint drop off places, but that is the only one I know off hand. Someone can use the paint, instead of putting in the water supply as love2golf suggests. Wow, what a sad state. Oh well yinzers all around!
I was being facetious. You need to Occupy a sense of humor.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Speaking of paint in the drain, I've always wondered about that. Paint is considered too hazardous to throw in the trash but we do put paint down our drains. When I paint, I rinse my brushes and trays in the sink. Same with cleaning products. We're not supposed to throw them away in the trash but they go down our drains everytime we clean the bathrooms or kitchens.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM

42 posts, read 74,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Speaking of paint in the drain, I've always wondered about that. Paint is considered too hazardous to throw in the trash but we do put paint down our drains. When I paint, I rinse my brushes and trays in the sink. Same with cleaning products. We're not supposed to throw them away in the trash but they go down our drains everytime we clean the bathrooms or kitchens.
Sometimes the solution to polution is dilution.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,371 times
Craigslist is a great place to get rid of stuff too. They have a free section. One man's trash.....

Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 AM

32 posts, read 21,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmarc View Post
Seriously? Not happening dude, I prefer not to help destroy the environment I live in.

We already donated what we could the rest is in too poor of a condition.
its good to care for the environment we live in to ensure good health and preventing more sickness problems as well. card board recycling and plastic recycling companies are available for this purpose as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh