Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM

59 posts, read 110,717 times

Advertisements

In Bloomfield, there is a Cedarville Street, but I've never heard of a town called Cedarville. And Jumonville Street...no Jumonville?

Frankstown Ave?

At least I know where Millvale is...though Millvale Ave won't get you there. And I've heard of a Brownsville, but taking Brownsville Rd to get there seems silly.

Any history/geography buffs with answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Not sure about Cedarville, but I'd bet Jumonville St. was named for this guy: Joseph Coulon de Jumonville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't have time to verify my suspicions about some of the other ones right now...

Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Just like Rochester Rd in the N. Hills doesn't get you to Rochester. Neither does the one in Cranberry, although it meanders vaguely in the right direction. Heh. And there's Warrendale-Bayne Rd and Wexford-Bayne Rd. Did the place they meet used to be called Bayne at some point?

Roads are often named after places I think, even when they don't go to that place, or sometimes the place is named after a person, and so is the road.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 AM

112 posts, read 162,006 times
http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker....rkerId=1-A-20E

Old 03-03-2012, 07:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
At least I know where Millvale is...though Millvale Ave won't get you there. And I've heard of a Brownsville, but taking Brownsville Rd to get there seems silly.

Any history/geography buffs with answers?

In 1884, Millvale was a stop on the Pennsylvania Railroad just west of Shadyside. The current borough of Millvale was called Bennett during that period of time.

Darlington Digital Library Maps:*DARMAP0822*DARMAP0822.TIF

Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 AM

41 posts, read 87,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
In Bloomfield, there is a Cedarville Street, but I've never heard of a town called Cedarville.
Old maps show that Cedarville Street used to be called Cedar Street. I'm guessing that the renaming had nothing to do with an actual place named Cedarville.

Quote:
And Jumonville Street...no Jumonville?
I agree with ditchdigger that Jumonville Street was probably named for the French commander. The names of adjacent parallel streets may be thematically related: Christopher Gist (Gist Street) and the Mingo/ Ohio Seneca Indians (Seneca Street) were involved in Washington's action against Jumonville.

Quote:
Frankstown Ave?
Frankstown is a real town in Blair County, PA. The original (very old) Frankstown Road went through there, and was extended to Pittsburgh in about 1791 (http://www.archive.org/stream/progre...ngoog_djvu.txt).

Quote:
At least I know where Millvale is...though Millvale Ave won't get you there.
Before Millvale Avenue existed, Millvale Station was a stop on the Pennsylvania Railroad near where the Millvale Avenue bridge currently stands in Bloomfield. The original Millvale Ave did not cross the railroad but ended on the south side of the tracks near the station. The name seems to be unrelated to the other Millvale across the Allegheny.

Quote:
And I've heard of a Brownsville, but taking Brownsville Rd to get there seems silly.
It may seem silly now, but Brownsville Road used to be the main route between Pittsburgh and Brownsville.

Last edited by Eugo; 03-03-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh