Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times

Advertisements

My guess is that the church hoped to do this on the qt. Now that the Trib has jumped on this and there has to be a zoning hearing I would imagine that it will be considerably more difficult. I'm not of Sewickley and don't know how much clout that particular Presbyterian church has, but I'd guess it won't be enough to tear it down. The church won't want the bad PR.

I'd bet, in the end, the building gets designated historic, deep pockets in the community, church, and non-profit sector get together, the land is re-zoned and they can use some historic tax credits or something to help renovate the building and in addition maybe build another structure on the land to meet some of their needs.

Purely a guess but I doubt the interested parties in a place like Sewickley will throw up their hands and agree with "nothing anybody can do".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I suspect most people in Sewickley are well-aware their historic charm is a large part of why they have avoided the fate of many less fortunate river towns.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I support the Church. Why would anyone want to keep an ugly, old building around when we could all enjoy the sight of a beautiful, new parking lot!

Nothing makes the heart sing like the sight of an urban landscape filled with one parking lot after another, devoid of people, everyone safely and comfortably enclosed in his own inviolable personal space, separate from each other, each person an inert atom of humanity not interacting with the other.

Charm and character are over-rated. Asbestos, lead paint - there are plenty of hazards in these old buildings. The gothic cathedrals of Europe and the 19th century churches of America are death traps of LEADED glass. Raze them all!

Old buildings? Pshaw! We need an urban landscape of concrete, asphalt, and reflective glass, all sterilized for our protection.

Sterilize Sewickley! That's MY motto.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I'm not of Sewickley and don't know how much clout that particular Presbyterian church has, but I'd guess it won't be enough to tear it down.
You would most likely be guessing wrong. No doubt a very wealthy church, like the one in the middle of FC. These churches are not hurting and are growing.

They want a safe youth center for the kids. Why do people not want them to have it? To save a building full of asbestos? Is that a good place for a youth center? Here is an idea. They own it and if they want to enhance the community with a youth center, why would anyone stop them? People are more important than buildings, you know. Where do you expect them to build the center for the kids? A mile away?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM

That home looks like an excellent place for a youth center that, among other things, would help teach our youth about local history and about the importance of sustainable development practices.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You would most likely be guessing wrong. No doubt a very wealthy church, like the one in the middle of FC. These churches are not hurting and are growing.

They want a safe youth center for the kids. Why do people not want them to have it? To save a building full of asbestos? Is that a good place for a youth center? Here is an idea. They own it and if they want to enhance the community with a youth center, why would anyone stop them? People are more important than buildings, you know. Where do you expect them to build the center for the kids? A mile away?
Well, we'll see.

(As an aside, in the vein of enlightenment and in hopes to avoid protracted debate, let's all recognise that this response is no doubt part of Curtis' continued sulking surrounding the demolition of the Civic Arena. He now plays the role of faux-zealot, advocating the demolition of all structures in the name of progress (see Strip District theads, this thread, Walmart etc.). It's all very clever.)

Last edited by Lobick; 03-06-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:

Yes, the Sewickley Academy has it's sports fields over a mile away and it's no issue. This is an example of when the community needs to stand up for a defenseless structure that has much historical value. This house predates the Civil War for crying out loud!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That home looks like an excellent place for a youth center that, among other things, would help teach our youth about local history and about the importance of sustainable development practices.
1. Have you been in the building?
2. Do you know the asbestos situation?
3. Do you know anything about this other than the building looks pretty from the outside and is old?

Seriously, everyone is jumping on a church because they want to build a youth center for the kids attending church there? It is a building, not set up for kids, it is set up to be a home. Goodness. One building, not some huge significant structure. Let the kids have their youth center.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Yes, the Sewickley Academy has it's sports fields over a mile away and it's no issue. This is an example of when the community needs to stand up for a defenseless structure that has much historical value. This house predates the Civil War for crying out loud!
Um, a sports field? What if the Academy had a lot big enough to hold a sports field with a building on it from the 1800's? Do you think the Academy would tear it down to be able to walk next door to the sports field? Of course they would. A sports field is a huge footprint! A youth group is a very small footprint. Just common sense.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
1. Have you been in the building?
No.

Quote:
2. Do you know the asbestos situation?
Only what was reported, but I am generally familiar with the likely asbestos problems in older residences.

Quote:
3. Do you know anything about this other than the building looks pretty from the outside and is old?
Yes, I am also familiar with how that building contributes to the neighborhood in which it is located.

Quote:
It is a building, not set up for kids, it is set up to be a home.
And apparently that area is zoned residential. Which means it is perfectly reasonable to ask them to make certain accommodations with respect to preserving the character of the neighborhood if they want a variance.

If they would prefer not to make such accommodations, they can choose instead to build their youth center in a place zoned for it and without any other relevant restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh