Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 AM

16 posts, read 29,375 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Does anybody know anything about this area? I seen an apt that I am interested in, but I know certain parts of Mt Washington aren't good.

I am looking for an apartment in the city, but I am having a lot of trouble with finding something that is nice and not too pricey. Most apts around the Pgh area are pricey and not updated, or updated and overpriced for the area.

If anybody has any information on rentals or experiences with renting, please let me know! I have been looking for about 6 months and I can't find anything! I would like to live in Pgh: Sside, North Shore, Mt Wash, or even Downtown.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM

29,625 posts, read 34,082,392 times
What is your budget? In the areas you're looking in (with the exception of Downtown,) you're going to find a lot of older converted houses and not a lot of bright shiny new upgrades. Doesn't mean you can't find a nice apartment, but you may have to adjust your expectations.

My experience with Mt. Washington is that you want to stay as close to the front of the hill as possible.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What is your budget? In the areas you're looking in (with the exception of Downtown,) you're going to find a lot of older converted houses and not a lot of bright shiny new upgrades. Doesn't mean you can't find a nice apartment, but you may have to adjust your expectations.

My experience with Mt. Washington is that you want to stay as close to the front of the hill as possible.

That is what my feelings are. I have never stayed there, but almost everytime I find a great place, people I know tell me that the area is bad, unless you live on Grandview. I have a small dog so that is another challenge, most places here don't take animals...

I would like to pay 1000 per month or less...It doesn't have to be a modern loft, lol, but sheesh, the things I have seen are terrible, kitchens from the 70's and 80's. I have even looked in Robinson, Greentree, but they don't have alot of rentals.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,530,389 times
You don't have to live ON Grandview, but you want to live towards that direction. Once you get over onto Bailey, eh, I don't know, you could probably live on Bailey for a short bit but go too far east and you're starting to get into Allentown instead, not good! I haven't spent enough time up in the Bailey area to really know firsthand. I did used to live about a block down from Grandview, and those places are just fine although, yeah, often not too updated (mine sure wasn't). Anywhere that's north and west of Woodruff is fine, and on the other side of it, at least down to Virginia Ave is fine and I'd feel okay living a block or two south of Virginia at least, not sure how far it's okay to go, maybe all fine but I really don't know after that.

A small dog should be easier than a big dog, but yeah, it's still harder than a cat or not having a pet. That's probably the big limiting factor. It shouldn't be so hard otherwise. Are you looking for 2BR for your $1k or just 1BR?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,345,193 times
Keep in mind that you're getting close to the Allentown area, which some people consider undesirable. It doesn't happen too often, but I've seen some ads that list places as Mt Wash when they're actually not, just for the more prestigious nameplate. I'd keep away from those ones as I wouldn't be able to trust my landlord.

Also keep in mind that you're either going to be in an older house/duplex/etc, or a new construction condo-type which might be well beyond your price range (at least it is for mine). Personally, I prefer older anyway as long as it looks like the maintenance has been kept up and such. Have you looked on the other side of Mount Washington (Duquense Heights). It's a little quieter ("safer?") on that end but not as close to the businesses.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You don't have to live ON Grandview, but you want to live towards that direction. Once you get over onto Bailey, eh, I don't know, you could probably live on Bailey for a short bit but go too far east and you're starting to get into Allentown instead, not good! I haven't spent enough time up in the Bailey area to really know firsthand. I did used to live about a block down from Grandview, and those places are just fine although, yeah, often not too updated (mine sure wasn't). Anywhere that's north and west of Woodruff is fine, and on the other side of it, at least down to Virginia Ave is fine and I'd feel okay living a block or two south of Virginia at least, not sure how far it's okay to go, maybe all fine but I really don't know after that.

A small dog should be easier than a big dog, but yeah, it's still harder than a cat or not having a pet. That's probably the big limiting factor. It shouldn't be so hard otherwise. Are you looking for 2BR for your $1k or just 1BR?
Yes see, I am not familiar with Mt Wash so when I look at the map and see that Bailey is 5 mins away, I assume its close to Grandview...all of these streets are so close IDK what are is desirable and what area is not, and I guess that is why I am having trouble. All of the streets you named, I have no clue. And some of the landlords seem to schemers because they won't have photos and their communication isn't detailed. I found an apt complex on the North Shore but its very pricey and when I almost applied, I found out that their reviews were not good...the one bedrooms there are over 1000. I just need a one bedroom, unless I found a nice two bedroom for 1000 and under.

I have a chihuahua, she is well trained...but you know the downside to having a Chi, their barking! LOL

Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Keep in mind that you're getting close to the Allentown area, which some people consider undesirable. It doesn't happen too often, but I've seen some ads that list places as Mt Wash when they're actually not, just for the more prestigious nameplate. I'd keep away from those ones as I wouldn't be able to trust my landlord.

Also keep in mind that you're either going to be in an older house/duplex/etc, or a new construction condo-type which might be well beyond your price range (at least it is for mine). Personally, I prefer older anyway as long as it looks like the maintenance has been kept up and such. Have you looked on the other side of Mount Washington (Duquense Heights). It's a little quieter ("safer?") on that end but not as close to the businesses.
See I am not familiar with the city. I grew up on the east side of Pgh and I just moved back here from the South. I guess I got spoiled because everything is new and built within the past few years, the prices are reasonable, most all places accept pets with a one time fee and no pet rent, so. I understand I don't live there anymore, but I can't even find a fine medium for what I am looking for. I seen a place in Shadyside that was nice but they charged you for a parking spot on the street in front < that is just ridiculous to me!

I have never heard of Duquesne Heights. I guess I should look into that. I search Craigslist and just google apartments in these areas literally everyday and I just can't seem to find anything that makes sense.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,546,050 times
I can second the notice of stay toward the front of the hill. I lived on Albert Street off Boggs Avenue and I can safely say, I have never seen so many cop cars in a 9 month period in all my life. I had trash to my left, right, and across the street. We did have the few older couples that have clearly lived there all their lives, but the terrible tenants that surrounded them trumped that.

With that being said, I personally never felt unsafe. It was mostly domestic and "drama" versus any chance of a random act of violence. I have never once felt unsafe on Mt. Washington. The neighborhood seems to drastically vary by street. For example, Albert that I mentioned, then you had Eutaw, one street over. I would have lived on Eutaw in a minute. All the houses looked straight from the suburbs, they all had driveways and garages. I still live on Mt. Washington, but right around Foodland. I can safely say, my new street is a breath of fresh air. I'm sure not all of my neighbors are innocent, but even their appearance is much more welcoming. They've been friendly, quiet, and so far, I haven't spotted one emergency vehicle!

Would I recommend Mt. Washington, yes. You can't beat the location and overall, it has a bit of a small town feel, but you're in the city. Be smart, ask questions, and do judge the street based on it's appearance, simple as that. If I would have judged Albert based on it's appearance and listened to my own gut instinct, I wouldn't have wasted 9 months watching COPS being filmed!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,546,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilett0Girl View Post
See I am not familiar with the city. I grew up on the east side of Pgh and I just moved back here from the South. I guess I got spoiled because everything is new and built within the past few years, the prices are reasonable, most all places accept pets with a one time fee and no pet rent, so. I understand I don't live there anymore, but I can't even find a fine medium for what I am looking for. I seen a place in Shadyside that was nice but they charged you for a parking spot on the street in front < that is just ridiculous to me!

I have never heard of Duquesne Heights. I guess I should look into that. I search Craigslist and just google apartments in these areas literally everyday and I just can't seem to find anything that makes sense.
I would be happy to give you my landlord's information. I'm very pleased with them and all their properties are on Mt. Washington. I know they have a few apartment complexes as well as many single family homes. If you're interested, let me know.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,530,389 times
I'm going to invent a new rule of thumb that should work pretty close:

Find on the map the eastern end of Virginia Avenue, where it intersects with Wyoming Street.

Now, draw a line directly horizontal east and west across your map; ignore the directions of the street grids and such, just an exactly horizontal line.

Look north of that line.

(There's a small part on the west side of Woodruff that would be fine but falls south of the line, but since that's all in Chatham Village which is a co-op there isn't likely to be much in the way of a rental there.)

This includes all of Duquesne Heights. I don't think apartment listings usually use that neighborhood name, though; they probably still say Mt Washington over there too because that's what people know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh