Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times

Advertisements

...and by explore I mean I dug in deep and went almost everywhere I could in the short amount of time I had versus going to the airport and to the mall really quickly.

My expectations were surpassed... and I already had high expectations. It was just amazing how well I fit in to the culture there and how awesome everything is. The food scene was amazing... I did a sort of "Pittsburgh foodie tour" of the city.

A few of the places I went:

Primanti Bros Strip District- I don't know if I have ever had a better food/beer combination as I did with the strip steak sandwich and an iron city. They meshed so well and that slaw was delicious.

Strip District Market area- I went into the various produce/meat/food shops... the selection was spectacular... as was the quality!

Tazza D'Oro (Highland Park)- This may be the single best coffee I have ever had. I got the ethiopian french press in an au lait style... perfectly nutty and delicious. The atmosphere in this coffee shop was pretty awesome as well.

Gullifty's- I only went here for dessert since I was still full from Primanti's... still, the dessert selection was pretty amazing. The Killer Cookie was deliciously fresh tasting!

Pamelas Diner (Squirrel Hill)- This is one of the better breakfast/brunches I have had. The Tex-Mex Omelet was delicious with perfect chorizo... and the potatoes were a delicious surprise! I liked the crispy thinness of the pancake, though I was still full.

-

5801- The bar scene in Pittsburgh is something I have been craving for quite some time. I loved the fact that people would come up to you and talk rather than sit and stare at you from across the bar. Although I was frustrated with parking in Shadyside (I did manage to find a spot!), I'm glad I went anyways because the people are amazing.

I can't wait to come back... and, eventually, move there. I love Pittsburgh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Thanks for sharing. I crave a Primanti's now and again. The slaw is good and has a nice vinegar flavor. Hope you didn't get the cheesesteak.

Tazza is my favorite coffee shop in the burgh. That atmosphere is great and it has a very international feel.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and you really did pack a lot in (figuratively and, apparently, literally!).

Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Thanks for sharing. I crave a Primanti's now and again. The slaw is good and has a nice vinegar flavor. Hope you didn't get the cheesesteak.

Tazza is my favorite coffee shop in the burgh. That atmosphere is great and it has a very international feel.
I wasn't really feeling a burger-style sandwich because I had Sheetz the night before... that's why I went for the strip steak. It was so good! I was worried the slaw would be too sweet, but it wasn't at all... it was perfect.

Tazza is definitely one of the best coffee shops I have been to. It was nice just to sit there and relax with a great cup of coffee.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and you really did pack a lot in (figuratively and, apparently, literally!).
Thanks! The only thing I regret is not eating Primanti's earlier so I could have a proper birthday dinner on Saturday night. Oh well, there's always next time!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM

461 posts, read 748,824 times
Glad that you enjoyed yourself! Pittsburgh really is a great city; I hope that you enjoyed that gorgeous snow on Sunday - looked like we were in a snow globe! I haven't been to Tazza, so must hie myself over there soon; a french press is the only way to make a proper cup of coffee (:

Old 03-07-2012, 12:39 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Two things I want to add.
1. Gullifty's has amazing desserts, but don't go there for a normal meal from what I have heard.
2. Pittsburgh is a great place if you love going to bars. If you go on the Census' website, you will see in a section with top counties for certain things, Allegheny County has the 5th highest amount of bars in the county. We are only beat by New York, Cook County, L.A. County and Philly. (I guess we have a drinking problem in this state )

Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
Glad that you enjoyed yourself! Pittsburgh really is a great city; I hope that you enjoyed that gorgeous snow on Sunday - looked like we were in a snow globe! I haven't been to Tazza, so must hie myself over there soon; a french press is the only way to make a proper cup of coffee (:
Thanks, I loved the snow until I was driving back through it in Kentucky lol. Yes... go over there and make sure to get the ethiopian coffee french press style au lait. It was just fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Two things I want to add.
1. Gullifty's has amazing desserts, but don't go there for a normal meal from what I have heard.
2. Pittsburgh is a great place if you love going to bars. If you go on the Census' website, you will see in a section with top counties for certain things, Allegheny County has the 5th highest amount of bars in the county. We are only beat by New York, Cook County, L.A. County and Philly. (I guess we have a drinking problem in this state )
That seemed to be the general perception of Gullifty's... I noticed I wasn't the only one just dropping by for dessert. Regardless, it was pretty amazing!

Re: bars... that's surprising considering Wisconsin, but I can see it. I also went to a place in the Strip... I think called Brewhive or something? It was pretty cool.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Gullifty's- I only went here for dessert since I was still full from Primanti's... still, the dessert selection was pretty amazing. The Killer Cookie was deliciously fresh tasting!
Gullifty's desserts are awesome. <3 their key lime pie, and I usually end up taking the majority home where it lasts me 3 days.
Now I've mentioned it, we'll have to go there again soon lol.

Welcome, in advance, to Pittsburgh.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
That seemed to be the general perception of Gullifty's... I noticed I wasn't the only one just dropping by for dessert. Regardless, it was pretty amazing!

Re: bars... that's surprising considering Wisconsin, but I can see it. I also went to a place in the Strip... I think called Brewhive or something? It was pretty cool.
Yeah I only go there for dessert too. I tried to find the info on the census bur its true. The the saying Pittsburgh is a drinking town with a football problem isn't entirely a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh