Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 AM

19 posts, read 31,295 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I've been lurking around these forums for years now. There is two things I can't find in Pittsburgh on the Internet no matter how hard I look. I was wondering if someone on here knew some little out of the way place around here that would have them.

The first item I've been dying to find is a black and white cookie. I tried them in
New York, and found them locally Starbucks of all places. I would prefer to get some home made ones. I did find them at the oakmont bakery but they tasted nothing like the ones I had in NYC. Literally my favorite cookie ever!

The second thing is bakery pizza. If you came from new castle you might remember DeRosa's bakery had some of the best. If you came from the other side of the state you might have similar feelings about Corropolese bakery outside Philly. Either way Pittsburgh seems devoid of this delicacy.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Otherwise I might end up calling every bakery in the city looking for and explaining these 2 things, which could take days! Lol

Thanks,

Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
B/W cookies not my thing, but Smallman St. deli has them on the counter. The interwebs suggest Sweet Tammy's in SqHill.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM

716 posts, read 766,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrouzzo View Post

The second thing is bakery pizza. If you came from new castle you might remember DeRosa's bakery had some of the best. If you came from the other side of the state you might have similar feelings about Corropolese bakery outside Philly. Either way Pittsburgh seems devoid of this delicacy.

Wow! Corpolese Tomato Pie! I haven't met many other Pittsburghers who know about this treat! Unfortunately I've never seen anything like it at all around here.

I'm curious as to how similar you think DeRosa's is to Corpolese? Might be worth the trip up to New Castle if it's that good.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,965 times
For the cookie, I've seen them in Starbucks. I think they are called night and day. For the pizza I'd suggest to go to efesus and ask for tomato pizza or explain to the owner how you want the crust. His crust is flaky and delicious and he makes a gazillion kinds of pizzas.

Now if you can cook I can give you the recipes for both items. I found the corpolese tomato pizza recipe on line. You can find it the cookie recipe in many many places. It is rather easy to make.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,285 times
To add onto this thread, one food that I have not been able to find outside of bakeries in NYC is a lemon filled croissant. If anyone knows somewhere around Pittsburgh where I could find one, I would greatly appreciate it

Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
I can't comment on bakery pizza, but there is one (and I mean literally one) full-service Jewish deli in the greater Pittsburgh area--Smallman Street--which has locations in Squirrel Hill and the Strip. The food (including baked goods) is adequate by NYC standards. You can also get light deli fair (soups and sandwiches, but as far as I recall, no black and white cookies) at the Bagel Factory. You may be able to find a better black and white cookie at one of the Squirrel Hill Jewish bakeries (including the aforementioned Sweet Tammy's).

Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Black and white cookies always seem to upset my stomach. Almost as if there is a fight going on in my tummy. Anyway, Oakmont Bakery is a premix place, so they have nothing there different than a big grocery store. They even put pudding in an eclair at Oakmont B, but people feel it is great. lol That is one of the problems with Pittsburgh. Not many really good bakeries because standards are low. In NYC? Wow! Different standards. I never understood why, but we are home of those little Hugs from Daily's Juice, which is about 100% horrible ingredients. I don't think they would fly in too many Eastern Cities.

Pizza of any kind is a tough one here.

Good luck on the black and white. Let us know if you find one that is to your liking. It is fun to go on an expedition like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh