Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 AM

89 posts, read 170,296 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-
We are not originally from Pittsburgh, but have rented in Shadyside for 5 years. We are now looking for a house for us and our 2 year-old daughter. We have been looking around the city (East End), but have been scared off by high taxes and questionable schools. So, we are starting to consider Aspinwall or Fox Chapel, but have never even been there!

It is close to my husband's job on Herr's Island and I work in Oakland. How is the commute? Do you like that area? Is it family friendly? Schools? Things to do? What do you think about the taxes? I'm looking for overall advice on moving out there. We are very used to cities, so moving to the suburbs is a large step for us.

Oh, and one thing I forgot. Is there any diversity out there? My husband is from Spain and at home we speak spanish (my daughter is bilingual). It would be nice if she isn't the only spanish speaking/diverse child in her school!

Last edited by luabear; 03-12-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Aspinwall is VERY similar to East End neighborhoods like Highland Park or Squirrel Hill. It definitely will not be a big culture shock.

On the other hand, it won't be a great tax break either. The total millage is actually a bit higher than the City's (and I think it is a decent guess the gap will grow a bit after the millages are reset due to the reassessment, because the City probably saw more increase in its total value). On the plus side, the earned income tax is lower. How that all shakes out for you depends on the relationship between your (assumed) home value and your income, but I think for most households it will be pretty close to a wash.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
The commute to Washington's Landing is great, especially if you don't mind walking 17 minutes. Why? If you park in Millvale at the park and walk down the trail to WL, you don't have to drive to the city, and backtrack, you can just get off at Millvale, which takes traffic out of the question. If your husband does need his car, it is best to drive down to the exit by Heinz and take River Road back to WL. It isn't bad on the way in, but on the way home it isn't great.

The commute to Oakland is easy and you will find your best route. You will most likely go across the Highland Park Bridge and Washington Blvd, but some might go up through the zoo and down Highland, or Negley. There are choices.

Schools are great. If you like the feel of Shadyside, Aspinwall is something like that, but much smaller. Your price range will dictate some of the locations you can live. I love older homes, so I like the old section of Fox Chapel, or what they refer to as "close in". That would be around Waldheim/Pasadena/ Windsor. The homes range around $180K-millions. The less expensive homes are around Delafield and Valley, but from those homes you can walk to Aspinwall. If you want a more spread out feel and have to drive everywhere, then you can look at O'Hara, Indiana Twp and other parts of FC. There are really no cheap homes in FC further out.

The better elementary schools are O'Hara and Fairview. Fairview is one of the best in the state, but O'Hara would have more diversity and IMHO, is really a better education, but to each their own. Aspinwall goes to O'Hara. Sharpsburg is a very inexpensive place to live and you can go to the FC school system from there, but if you are in Shadyside, I don't think it is for you. Kerr elementary is the weakest in Fox Chapel, but probably is okay.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Aspinwall is VERY similar to East End neighborhoods like Highland Park or Squirrel Hill. It definitely will not be a big culture shock.

On the other hand, it won't be a great tax break either. The total millage is actually a bit higher than the City's (and I think it is a decent guess the gap will grow a bit after the millages are reset due to the reassessment, because the City probably saw more increase in its total value). On the plus side, the earned income tax is lower. How that all shakes out for you depends on the relationship between your (assumed) home value and your income, but I think for most households it will be pretty close to a wash.
Just to continue on this, the earned income tax is 1% which is much less than the city. Also, you are getting a great school district for your big school tax bill and in the city you have a big school tax bill and don't get much.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
I moved from Shadyside to Aspinwall and lived there for three years. I now live in O'Hara which is about 5 minutes away. Basically, Aspinwall is for people who want to live in a walkable neighborhood but don't want to put up with the city schools. The thing that really separates Aspinwall from Shadyside and Highland Park is that it is much much smaller. So, you will really know everyone.

Of my friends that lived there most have moved into larger houses in O'Hara. Honestly, once the second or third kids comes all but one of my friends have opted to move to bigger houses. Only one of my friends (with more than one kid) still lives there and this family moved into a larger house in Aspinwall and put a ton of money into it. I guess it is all what a family needs/wants. We wanted 2 full baths on the second floor which is tough to find in Aspinwall in a modest house (under 400,000). So, I am only suggesting that if you are planning on having one or two more kids at least consider skipping Aspinwall and moving straight to O'Hara if you want a bigger house.

A note on taxes. Your assessment will likely be very accurate because the school district will appeal your property based on your purchase price. So, you will be paying your fair share of taxes. The city may not appeal your assessment if you buy a house there.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
A note on taxes. Your assessment will likely be very accurate because the school district will appeal your property based on your purchase price. So, you will be paying your fair share of taxes. The city may not appeal your assessment if you buy a house there.
I thought this as well, but I was looking at recent sales and to my surprise I saw a lot of homes assessed WAY below purchase price. One was even assessed $100K below! I know Brian will chime in and say, oh but they use 2002 values, but I have been through the process and know better. They put most of the weight on purchase price, even when they were using 2002 values.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I thought this as well, but I was looking at recent sales and to my surprise I saw a lot of homes assessed WAY below purchase price. One was even assessed $100K below! I know Brian will chime in and say, oh but they use 2002 values, but I have been through the process and know better. They put most of the weight on purchase price, even when they were using 2002 values.
I spot checked my neighborhood and the recent sales are pretty accurate although most are on the low side. Then again with everyone and their mother getting cash back at closing it would be pointless to assess a house at it purchase price to have the buyer march in with a sales agreement showing 15000 in seller's assistance.

Where the school district really is worried about assessments is when a sale occurs and the house is assessed at far less than the purchase price. This is how revenues go up without a millage increase.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
gg

Quote:
I spot checked my neighborhood and the recent sales are pretty accurate although most are on the low side. Then again with everyone and their mother getting cash back at closing it would be pointless to assess a house at it purchase price to have the buyer march in with a sales agreement showing 15000 in seller's assistance.

Where the school district really is worried about assessments is when a sale occurs and the house is assessed at far less than the purchase price. This is how revenues go up without a millage increase.
Get a load of this home. They purchased the home in '08 for much more than the new assessed value.

Allegheny County Assessment

Last edited by gg; 03-12-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Get a load of this home. They purchased the home in '08 for much more than the new assessed value.

Allegheny County Assessment

They got lucky. My guess is that the computer program didn't consider an early 2008 purchase a recent sale.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
gg

Quote:
They got lucky. My guess is that the computer program didn't consider an early 2008 purchase a recent sale.
What I find most interesting is, they got lucky with the county AND FC school let them slide. There are some others that got luck down the road. One someone paid $318K for and is assessed at $180K. That is an unusual home and someone really wanted it, so they paid whatever. I feel they paid way too much, but every once in a while that happens, if an out of town buyer really has to have it.

Ah well, I emailed my square feet corrections and am waiting for a preliminary hearing date. Guess we shall see how it all plays out. They were way off on my square feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh