Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,565 times

Advertisements

On October 30th of this year I will be celebrating a year hear in this city. I moved down from Erie to accept employment here. It's been an exciting year; within two weeks of living down here I met the woman I am now going to marry.

Here are some thoughts from someone fairly new to the city......

The streets down here are the worst I've ever seen, anywhere. I have a brand new GTI and sometimes I think of trading it in for a Jeep Wrangler.

I settled in and forever fell in love with Shadyside. Very enchanting, very village like. My fiance and I just moved to Point Breeze, only because the rent is just to high in Shadyside, and when it's not, you are forced to park on the street which I would never do.

I love the bike culture down here. Jason and the guys at Pittsburgh Pro Bicycles in Squirrel Hill are the best, along with Dirty Harry's a short drive away in Verona. I feel safer biking around town than I do in Erie. We now live near Frick Park which is paradise for me.

Why are there parking spaces allocated on such busy thoroughfares such as Baum Blvd, West Liberty and Penn Ave? It forces people who aren't smart enough to merge early into the passing lane at the last moment.

Pittsburgh drivers were rated some of the most courteous, but they were not rated on their intelligence. PENNDOT and the media did a terrific job letting the public know about the tie ups on I376, but the amount of people who ignored it and decided to sit in the detours was ridiculous.

What's with the Mt Lebanon police? Do they have unmarked aircraft to patrol their fortress?

VW's are everywhere, which is great!

Great dinning everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 AM

214 posts, read 241,951 times
I always like Point Breeze and tought the houses there would be more expensive. Are you renting there?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
I always like Point Breeze and tought the houses there would be more expensive. Are you renting there?
Beechwood Boulevard is more expensive. The streets between Beechwood Boulevard and Penn Avenue are more affordable---renting or owning.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
We are renting, and to be more specific, we live on South Braddock shortly after you turn off of Penn Avenue. These neighborhoods intermingle so closely, I think we are officially in Point Breeze.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 AM

206 posts, read 688,770 times
Some people also call that spot right where you are Park Place, but it is part of Point Breeze.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_torquemada View Post
Some people also call that spot right where you are Park Place, but it is part of Point Breeze.
Yes if we go down our driveway and look immediately to our right, there is a sign that says "Welcome to Park Place", but just to be fair, we live about three driveways from that LOL

Old 09-18-2007, 09:48 AM

67 posts, read 288,330 times
Default Fortress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
What's with the Mt Lebanon police? Do they have unmarked aircraft to patrol their fortress?
Definitely not a fortress, unless you're driving and then you may get stopped for expired registration and traffic violations.

Last edited by janiesgirl; 09-18-2007 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh