Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Since there is a divider on Penn, I don't see how west-bound traffic is supposed to even enter the proposed store lot.
I could make the argument that this is more of a hindrance for an auto-centric business like Autozone than it would be for a community-oriented business that people would walk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 02:04 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I could make the argument that this is more of a hindrance for an auto-centric business like Autozone than it would be for a community-oriented business that people would walk to.
Exactly.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM

618 posts, read 691,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
When I was a young man, there were a lot of 2nd and 3rd floor apartments in the Walnut St. business district, but they are basically there no more.
Confirming what eschaton said earlier, a good friend of mine lives in one of those second floor apartments near the old doc's (can't remember what it is now- shows you how much time I spend on Walnut). Cool apartment and definitely has some charm but the noise is a nightmare, especially getting on toward 2 AM. The real perk is the relatively low rent.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:01 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Confirming what eschaton said earlier, a good friend of mine lives in one of those second floor apartments near the old doc's (can't remember what it is now- shows you how much time I spend on Walnut). Cool apartment and definitely has some charm but the noise is a nightmare, especially getting on toward 2 AM. The real perk is the relatively low rent.
Doc's is now Mario's East Side. I spent a lot of time in Doc's when I lived in Shadyside in the 1980s. We had many a conversation there about how great a city Pittsburgh was, but could be so much better if it weren't for city leaders. It is finally realizing it's potential 25-30 years later thanks to eds and meds, I'll give some credit to city leaders too. At least now, they do not derail most ambitious projects just to appease their elderly or NIMBY constituents. Now, their constituents may be younger and more progressive and the politicians may go along with their desires to get that vote.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:10 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why does it have to be one extreme or another? I don't wish for the East End to become overrun with either autocentric suburban-styled boxes surrounded by a sea of asphalt OR more places that charge $14 for an "artisan" sandwich because its both fair-trade and vegan-friendly while diners discuss the plight of Darfur or how far "ahead of the curve" they are because they went to Dartmouth. I'd actually like to see a middle-class FAMILY-FRIENDLY greasy spoon type of joint (i.e. Johnny Rocket's) at this intersection, along with more housing options, a discount clothing store (i.e. Gabriel Brothers), and maybe even a movie theater could be built on the site of Penn Plaza now that the Odeon project will no longer feature a theater. Naturally ALL would need parking, but I'd want to see parking be built in the REAR of each parcel (underground and/or a parking garage would be preferable, but I know that would be cost-prohibitive). Parking should be hidden to enhance the pedestrian experience, especially in a city.
I'm surprised at your views on this. I know in the past that you wanted more inexpensive food chains in the East End, not only for convenience and cost, but because you wanted it to resemble Reston, a place you dearly miss. I guess your stance differs on national auto part chains. As for parking, I respect the fact you like it in the rear. I am more in favor of parking garages in a dense city neighborhood, as you also mentioned. Parking Garages are not cheap to build, but can pay for themselves quickly and are cash cows if built the right size and are in the right location.

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 05-29-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 10:54 AM
CFP

475 posts, read 624,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me. What a very underwhelming choice for such a prime corner. Penn & Negley deserves so much more than an AutoZone across from a Monro Muffler, a ghetto housing complex, and a piece of garbage looking UPMC suburban one-story office building in front of a gas station.
very well put, and i am not the least bit surprised, just like i was not the least bit surprised to read
that "Casa Rasta will open this summer in East Liberty"

today you can get mexican food at mad mex, verde, chipotle, and patron
so of course someone's gonna open another restaurant that sells "tacos, tostadas, burritos and tortas"

east liberty already has munro muffler, goodyear auto, advance auto and midas
so of course someone's gonna open another auto parts store

Old 05-30-2014, 11:23 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
very well put, and i am not the least bit surprised, just like i was not the least bit surprised to read

so of course someone's gonna open another restaurant that sells "tacos, tostadas, burritos and tortas"
I've been meaning to try Casa Rasta (I can never convince my wife to go all the way out there for dinner), so I'm thrilled about this.

It's not just a Mexican restaurant, BTW.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM

248 posts, read 326,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post

east liberty already has munro muffler, goodyear auto, advance auto and midas
so of course someone's gonna open another auto parts store
I'm glad another restaurant is going in there. Definitely a little odd that it's directly across the street from another Mexican restaurant and a block away from two of those others.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:29 PM
CFP

475 posts, read 624,349 times
maybe one of you wants to buy the pizza sola on centre

Jim Aiello Jr. selling off Pizza Sola restaurants - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 05-30-2014, 01:11 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Casa Rasta is great. I preferred the taco shack to the new restaurant though. It reminded me of a hippie town in Latin America.

In related news:
The Ace hotel financing closed today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh