Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:50 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,152 times

Advertisements

Love2Travel,

Yes, a big part of your problem is that you have a degree like journalism: the supply of journalists grossly exceeds the demand for journalists. People don't need journalists, they need food, transportation, housing, health care, etc.

However, it's not your imagination that the Pittsburgh economy is pathetic compared to the nation as a whole. See the following article: http://www.alleghenyinstitute.org/briefs/vol7no29.pdf (broken link)

Why is job growth so pathetic? We first must ask ourselves, "what is it that creates jobs and economic growth?" I would be willing to bet that if you took a scientific poll of people in the Pittsburgh region, a large percentage (perhaps even a majority) would say that the government creates jobs and economic growth. Why do I say this? Check out the following article: http://www.alleghenyinstitute.org/briefs/vol7no36.pdf (broken link)

Apparently, we Pennsylvanians keep electing people who use tax dollars to "create jobs" instead of using those dollars to inprove our roads and highways, and/or reduce taxes. Both would encourage companies to locate here, which would "create jobs." What have I assumed here? I have assumed that it is the private sector, not government, that is the engine of economic growth. Our state government, apparently, does not share this view. PA has the highest state corporate net income tax in the nation.

Love2Travel, you pointed out one of the unofficial religions of Pittsburgh: unionism. Well, it shouldn't suprise us to learn that few businesses want to locate in a region where union power is so entrenched.

One can only conclude that a majority of Pennsylvanians and Pittsburghers (who vote) are utterly clueless as to how a free-market economy actually works. Therein lies the fundamental problem with Pittsburgh.

For generations, people in Pittsburgh improved their lives not by getting an education or taking some kind of personal initiative, but by going on strike. "Wealth" and "prosperity" were "created" for the average person by political fiat, not by personal endeavor. Back in the 60's and 70's it was actually possible for a high school graduate with few skills to get a high-paying job at a steel mill with full benefits. Pittsburghers still long for that period...the "good old days." But that "prosperity" was not a result of genuine economic forces, but the result of political and union power. The price of labor was kept artifically high by political fiat. But like most price-fixing attempts, they ultimately fail because other people are willing to provide the same product or service at a lower price. That is precisely what happened. Steel collapsed in the late 70's and early 80's. Companies knew that labor was less expensive in other states/countries, so they moved there. In the end, "supply and demand" had the last word, to the chagrin of many who thought that economic prosperity was a birthright, not something that had to be earned.

Thus there is a common thread between the situation of Love2Travel and the situation of Pittsburgh as a whole: the danger of not understanding basic economics. The supply/demand equation for journalists is causing Love2Travel problems with finding a journalism job. The tax/political/regulatory climate of Pittsburgh is holding back its economy.

I don't understand why basic economics is not taught in high school. If we Americans hope to function in a free-market economy (that is increasingly global in scope), we'd all better understand how it works, not just college graduates!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
I don't understand why basic economics is not taught in high school.
I was at mine.. it isn't a requirement at most?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,152 times
Boylocke,

I hope you are right. It wasn't taught at mine.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:11 PM

353 posts, read 825,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Boylocke,

I hope you are right. It wasn't taught at mine.
I didn't learn anything about economics until I got to college. It was taught at my highschool, but as an elective, and the teacher had no clue what he was talking about (and I don't mean that to imply that I disagreed with him... he realyl had no clue what he was talking about). There are alot of classes that should be taught, but aren't... civics being a big one. The way history is taught in American schools is a total joke, they might as well not teach it. The average adult knows about as much about history as I knew when I was 5.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
It's been so long ago that I went to high school, I don't really remember! We did have a course called "Problems of Democracy" which touched some on economics.

I think economics was/is offered at my kids' high school, but neither one ever took it. Nor in college, though l'il one still has two years to go.

Quote:
Also, I did read those article. Steigerwald's was described as a commentary, which just means that it is an opinion article. I saw no hard facts in it at all. A commentary that supports the OP, but doesn't prove anything. Not anything revolutionary there.
I, too, read the articles and feel the same way. I have to, to be consistent when people post pro-Pittsburgh stuff that is just opinion was well. The population numbers are hard data, and they do show that Pittsburgh has not grown with the rest of the country, for whatever reason.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-11-2007 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: add

Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I was at mine.. it isn't a requirement at most?
I got in in high school in Beaver county... my kids both got it here in Westmoreland county.
I figured it was mandatory too....

Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I too, went to high school in Beaver County. I guess it all depends on how the school interprets the requirements.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:07 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times
Default Where did you live before?

Love2Travel,

Where did you live before moving to Pittsburgh to gain your 15 years of experience? Just curious, as it seems you moved back to be closer to your family. Are the areas you are considering for relocation relatively near to Pittsburgh?

My son is moving back to LA after spending 3 years working in Pittsburgh because he feels that wages in his field(graphic design) aren't competitive compared to other places. I didn't really encourage him to come back to LA, but I know that he misses his friends and family and the warm weather. He was able to get work in his field right out of the Art Institute and could gain some experience to put on his resume. The cost of living will be challenging out here though, especially if he later marries and has a family.

My son has a friend making $8000 more a year in a similar job in Columbia, SC of all places. It used to be that salaries were higher in the north, but it doesn't seem that way today. It's discouraging for those who would rather stay in places like PA.

Cathy

Old 09-11-2007, 02:49 PM

60 posts, read 64,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Love2Travel,

Yes, a big part of your problem is that you have a degree like journalism: the supply of journalists grossly exceeds the demand for journalists. People don't need journalists, they need food, transportation, housing, health care, etc.

However, it's not your imagination that the Pittsburgh economy is pathetic compared to the nation as a whole. See the following article: http://www.alleghenyinstitute.org/briefs/vol7no29.pdf (broken link)

Why is job growth so pathetic? We first must ask ourselves, "what is it that creates jobs and economic growth?" I would be willing to bet that if you took a scientific poll of people in the Pittsburgh region, a large percentage (perhaps even a majority) would say that the government creates jobs and economic growth. Why do I say this? Check out the following article: http://www.alleghenyinstitute.org/briefs/vol7no36.pdf (broken link)

Apparently, we Pennsylvanians keep electing people who use tax dollars to "create jobs" instead of using those dollars to inprove our roads and highways, and/or reduce taxes. Both would encourage companies to locate here, which would "create jobs." What have I assumed here? I have assumed that it is the private sector, not government, that is the engine of economic growth. Our state government, apparently, does not share this view. PA has the highest state corporate net income tax in the nation.

Love2Travel, you pointed out one of the unofficial religions of Pittsburgh: unionism. Well, it shouldn't suprise us to learn that few businesses want to locate in a region where union power is so entrenched.

One can only conclude that a majority of Pennsylvanians and Pittsburghers (who vote) are utterly clueless as to how a free-market economy actually works. Therein lies the fundamental problem with Pittsburgh.

For generations, people in Pittsburgh improved their lives not by getting an education or taking some kind of personal initiative, but by going on strike. "Wealth" and "prosperity" were "created" for the average person by political fiat, not by personal endeavor. Back in the 60's and 70's it was actually possible for a high school graduate with few skills to get a high-paying job at a steel mill with full benefits. Pittsburghers still long for that period...the "good old days." But that "prosperity" was not a result of genuine economic forces, but the result of political and union power. The price of labor was kept artifically high by political fiat. But like most price-fixing attempts, they ultimately fail because other people are willing to provide the same product or service at a lower price. That is precisely what happened. Steel collapsed in the late 70's and early 80's. Companies knew that labor was less expensive in other states/countries, so they moved there. In the end, "supply and demand" had the last word, to the chagrin of many who thought that economic prosperity was a birthright, not something that had to be earned.

Thus there is a common thread between the situation of Love2Travel and the situation of Pittsburgh as a whole: the danger of not understanding basic economics. The supply/demand equation for journalists is causing Love2Travel problems with finding a journalism job. The tax/political/regulatory climate of Pittsburgh is holding back its economy.

I don't understand why basic economics is not taught in high school. If we Americans hope to function in a free-market economy (that is increasingly global in scope), we'd all better understand how it works, not just college graduates!
That's an interesting argument you make, kpoeppel. It sounds to me like you fully espouse a free-market economy. I'm not sure what it is that you do for a living, but I can assume that you would be entirely comfortable with your job, your livelihood, being outsourced to someone in a foreign country. After all, as you point out, in a free-market economy, "other people are willing to provide the same product or service at a lower price." Or, if your job is stationary and cannot be moved, we can bring Rajiv or Luiz here to perform your job duties for much less than you. After all, isn't that what a free market is all about?

And, since I assume you are a proponent of laissez-faire, free-market economics, I am sure you will opt out of utilizing Medicare or any other 'entitlement' program for the elderly when you are older. And if you become disabled at any point, I'm guessing you will refuse Supplemental Social Security payments from the government.

After all, in the laissez-faire view of economics, the government has no responsibility to engage in intervention to protect people from poverty, requiring them instead to rely on charity and the market system. And unfortunately, the free market system really has little use for the disabled or elderly.

My friend, I have no doubt that you have all the money and resources you need to sustain yourself if you become disabled and later on down the road, when you become old, without relying in any way on the government for assistance. I say, bravo to you!!

Last edited by LivingSingle123; 09-11-2007 at 04:04 PM..

Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
I can't believe (actually I can) how this turned towards those evil unions (I wish I had the great morals of corporations) when in fact their is little industry in the region that's left.... unions aren't not present like they were when industry was around. Now, goverment ones are around and there are legitimate issues regarding that, but to say that unions remotely play a role in the regional economy is a joke.

Booming economies benefit from that boom. Charlotte and Atlanta benefit from companies knowing that the population is surging so companies invest there. Services boom to cater to the increasing populations, which in turn creates jobs and on and on.

Part of Pittsburgh's problem is that the local economy is constrained because it doesn't have the flow of new people. There's a good foundation. Pittsburgh is stable, but it needs a few different things to happen - which have absolutely nothing to do with steel, unions and any other problem that was related to Pittsburgh decades ago.

Also, yeah, journalism offers few opportunities in most every city. There are many industries with limited prospects in most cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh