Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times

Advertisements

In Houston I put 30,000 miles on my car each year. Commuting from New Castle I put just about the same amount of miles on the car. After moving to Swissvale, I only put 2,500 miles on the car in a year. It sits in the garage Monday-Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Since when is the speed limit 70mph anywhere near Robinson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Next time we drive by, and I am not driving, I'll take a picture.
Impossible. 70 doesn't exist anywhere in Pennsylvania.

The highest is 65 on interstates and rural roads.

Closer to urban populated areas with more 50k people, the limit is 55 even on interstates.

PROOF >>>>> The Pennsylvania Turnpike - About the PTC

Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
I drove a lot more in Pittsburgh compared to Philly, but I'm one of those people who really happens to love exploring via driving (it's how I learned so much about the region in a mere four-year span ). Let's just say undergrad afforded me a lot more spare time than lawl skool. I've also had occasion to golf everywhere from Slippery Rock to Uniontown to Latrobe, which helps.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:50 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
hahahaha it sure felt like it!!!
Thankfully I only had to go there once because that mall is the only one that has an Eddie Bauer store, and that store was the only one that had the lined jeans I wanted...so I made a sacrifice and went all the way there...

The trip to Ross park mall (where the only LLBean resides) took longer actually because of that construction area....hahahahahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That would explain why a trip from Mt. Lebo to Robinson takes her so long.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it's perfectly practical to ride a bike on city streets and even up and down hills! maybe not for you, maybe not for everyone, but bikes are not restricted to bike trails or flat terrain.
I personally know a couple of cycling team trainers that tell clients to not ride in many areas of the So. Hills (particularly Washington Road and main offshoots) because it's just too dangerous. They won't even do it themselves.

And the hill thing... when you live in a valley and literally the only way out is to start your ride with a big hill in any direction you can go, well, it's a bit demotivating.

When I thought I was moving back east a few months ago, first thing I thought of was, now I can bike again!

So in the city, sure. Not so much all the burbs. And definitely not right around where I live.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And the hill thing... when you live in a valley and literally the only way out is to start your ride with a big hill in any direction you can go, well, it's a bit demotivating.
It's the same living halfway up a hill. We have a choice. Start out going downhill, return uphill. Start out uphill, return downhill. Neither are appealing. We often load our bikes onto the vehicle and drive them somewhere to ride. I'd LOVE to live somewhere flat. When we go to the beach, I bike everywhere. I've even taken a bike through a pharmacy drive through. I just can't handle the hills. I'm not a spandex wearing hard core biker. I just like riding a bike.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
I grew up in a more rural area & definitely put more miles on my car as it was required if I wanted to go anywhere.

I lived in the UK for awhile thereafter and had no car, so obviously put no miles out there.

Since living here, I walk back & forth to work, out to neighborhood places for food or drinks, but other then that drive most everywhere else I need to go, though still put relatively few miles on my car.

I will say regarding my time having no car, while yes they can add their own pain to your life, but even if you don't need a car 90% of the time, not having one available sucks.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM

128 posts, read 201,370 times
I moved up here early last year from southwest Virginia (Blacksburg) and I drive a less, although not by a huge margin. Blacksburg is a pretty small town surrounding Virginia Tech making everything centrally located and accessible quickly without traveling far, much like the short trips I usually make here now: gym, shopping, errands. I use PAT to commute to work now, whereas before I used to ride my bike or walk. Most of my miles are road trips both now and before.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I will say regarding my time having no car, while yes they can add their own pain to your life, but even if you don't need a car 90% of the time, not having one available sucks.
That's what Zipcar is all about (too bad they don't have any in my 'hood).

Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,109 times
Only zipcar spots I've seen are outside of Mallorca in Southside and a few up in Oakland on Forbes...thats it right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh