Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,798,063 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting bit of history I picked up via the Stop the Pitt Bomb Threats blog.

As numerous as the bomb threats at Pitt have gotten, it is not even halfway to the number Rutgers had to deal with back in 1970, when a total of at least 178 threatened to shut down the school. Here are some links:

Harvard Crimson

Cornell Daily Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,274,966 times
It's on the NY Times Lede:
University of Pittsburgh Police Make Arrest, but Bomb Threats Continue - NYTimes.com

Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
If anything comes of this, I sure hope it's litigation being brought down on email-relaying sites like the ones used in this scheme.

I know we had the drama with SOPA a few months back, but if it's found out that sites like these can DIRECTLY utilized for malicious deeds like this then I fully support litigation against them.
Cars are used daily for robberies, so maybe they should be made illegal too.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 04-12-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,683,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Cars are used daily for robbers, so maybe they should be made illegal too.
Lock picking tools are used by robbers, and they are illegal to posess, unless you are a licensed locksmith. The logic is that there is no good reason for your average joe to posess these tools.

So, the question is are there legitimate reasons for the general public to have access to e-mail relaying services. I don't know the answer to that question; however, it is clear that in some people's opinion, such as Impala's, the answer is a resounding no.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Lock picking tools are used by robbers, and they are illegal to posess, unless you are a licensed locksmith. The logic is that there is no good reason for your average joe to posess these tools.

So, the question is are there legitimate reasons for the general public to have access to e-mail relaying services. I don't know the answer to that question; however, it is clear that in some people's opinion, such as Impala's, the answer is a resounding no.
And that is the problem with this country. Too many people have no understand of technology or the reasons for its use. Just because someone sees no use for something doesn't mean it has no use. This is the same argument the RIAA and MPAA has made in regards to P2P for years. I for one love the fact that such a service exists. The fact is that anonymity is all but dead in this world, and every government and their enablers are doing all they can to stamp out what is left of it. The fact that this person has not been caught actually gives me some hope. While I do not in anyway condone what they're doing, it's good to see that big brother state can be defeated, or at least held at bay. Also, people seem to have no grasp of the internet as a world wide network. Banning such services in the US would do nothing to prevent their usage, as companies would simply move their servers off shore.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM

6,597 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Here is the relevant section from the Mixmaster program's FAQ:

In short, these sorts of program have been around for well over a decade, and they do have some legitimate uses.

Quote:
1.2 What's an anonymous remailer?
From the Anonymous Remailer FAQ:
"A remailer is a computer service which privatizes your e-mail. A remailer is in sharp contrast to the average Internet Service Providers [ISP] which is terribly anti-private. In fact, ISP could equally stand for "Internet Surveillance Point".

"Traditionally, a remailer allowed you to send electronic mail to a Usenet news group, or to a person, without revealing your true name or e-mail address to the recipient. Today, new web-based remailers permit you to send mail using your real name (if you wish), while protecting your email records from the snooping eyes of your Internet Service Provider.

"In the first version of this FAQ (published in 1995), all popular remailers were free-of-charge. Today, a number of services either charge user fees, or support themselves via advertisers.

1.3 Why should I run an anonymous remailer?

There are several good reasons for running an anonymous remailer. You might be interested if you want to:
  • Promote free speech
  • Work against oppresive governments
  • Help whistleblowers escape retribution
  • Promote cryptography and anonymity on the Internet

Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Watching this on the nightly news last night, I wondered if any of the students in the crowd were city-data posters. Speagle--were you there?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Lock picking tools are used by robbers, and they are illegal to posess, unless you are a licensed locksmith. The logic is that there is no good reason for your average joe to posess these tools..
only in a handful of places: Legal issues - Lockwiki

Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM

9 posts, read 22,042 times
Hi guys, two quick questions. If they've been answered already please link me to the source and I'll read it.
1. Some of the earlier threats were written on bathroom walls. Are there not security cameras in the hallways that can see everybody entering and leaving?
2. There was a threat yesterday written on a staircase wall inside the cathedral. If they're checking IDs and searching people's belongings when they enter the building, can't we just assume that there is no bomb and ignore the threat? Also...same as #1, are there no cameras monitoring stairway entrances and exits? I don't go to Pitt and I have never been inside the building.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,074,223 times
Quote:

Lock picking tools are also used by people who lose their keys and don't want to have to destroy the lock. Some things like our 1st amendment rights are more important than Impala's feelings, and even all of the University of Pittsburgh as a whole.

I support anything that promotes free speech over oppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh