Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 35,394 times

Advertisements

I live there, and I have seen this all first hand, so please don't try argueing.

The main issue of downtown McKeesport is that there are a few section 8 housing places, and then there is a very cheap apt building (might be section8, never asked?). Lets look at the areas, and the gang activity in the areas, and remember, downtown McKeesport isn't big at all, and thats where all these places are.

Harrison Village:
Projects: 80%+ Gang related, including minors, mostly bloods.
Hotstility: Medium

Crawford Village:
Projects: 80%+ Gang related, including minors, mostly crips.
Hostility: Extremely high all times of day.

Highview Apartments:
Apartment building: LARGE; Not gang related as much, but there is a small bit of it still around; these people are mainly drug dealers and arms dealers.
Hostility: Will attack and rob you for less than the shoes off your feet.

Now, there are also a few sections of "McKeesport", not all of them are considered McKeesport, but they are all close enough to be it, so whatever.

Lower 10th ward: White Ghetto. Don't know much else, lots of weed.
Upper 10th ward: Know nothing about, never heard anything bad though.
Kristy Park: Decent area, another white ghetto, I'm less worried to be there than most places around here, but, most of my friends say otherwise. Not sure why.
Downtown McKeesport: All section 8 is here, what do you think?
Glassport: Neighboring town, full of racist white trash mostly to be honest. You could bet this causes issues, because McKeesport is 75%+ black.
Versailles: Mostly keeping to themselves, I never see issues, or much of anyone around there. I know there are alot of issues with pot there, but thats it.
White Oak: It's a burrough of it's own, but it's next to McKeesport, uses their jr high & high school & post office. So I guess it's just a small part of McKeesport in my eyes. Suprisingly, this area is amazingly nice. Mostly older people, and jewish people, and there has been 1 shooting in my life span in White Oak, and they were from McKeesport. Boring, but hey, you won't get shot here. McKeesport seems to be lowing value of White Oak, and McKeesport is spilling into White Oak slowly though.

In 2 weeks recently, there were 6 shootings, most fatal. One was over a ipod, one was over 2 ounces of weed, one was in front of the guy who got shots 12 year old.

Don't move to McKeesport, if you live in White Oak, sell your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
I highly doubt there is any affiliation with "Cripps" and "Bloods" in Mckeesport.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM

374 posts, read 1,284,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I highly doubt there is any affiliation with "Cripps" and "Bloods" in Mckeesport.
I use to live in Mckeesport and that's how it was. Crawford was crips and the rest of Mckeesport was bloods. Wanna bees maybe but the sure did express their anger toward the opposite colors, that was back in 98

Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,087 times
No doubt that Mckeesport has more than its share of knuckleheads. I remember noticing back in 2007 that Mckeesport seems to have spurts of violence as bad or worse than anywhere in the metro... see these 7 shootings and 5 deaths during a 2 month period.

McKeesport Teen Killed In Overnight Shooting - Dec 18, 2006

Shots Fired Into McKeesport Home; 2 Killed - Jan 15, 2007

Woman Flown To Hospital After McKeesport Shooting - Jan 19, 2007

Teen Shot In Stomach On McKeesport Street - February 7, 2007

Police Search For McKeesport Shooter - Feb 20, 2007

Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 35,394 times
I will agree that it may not be true gangs, but they act all the same. Fights all the time, people getting jumped, houses getting robbed, a few acts of burning down a building here and there, and to top it all off, any guns in the area are normally sold to a gang, because they have the excess money to pay a ton for an unmarked gun. My good friend actually got locked up for gun charges...

Quote:
McKeesport police are questioning a 17-year-old high school student in connection with two boxes of bullets found late Wednesday morning outside of the high school. McKeesport Police Chief Joe Pero said the student at Founders’ Hall, which houses seventh- and eighth-graders, placed the bullets in a pile of mulch that had been delivered to the campus.
"He claimed he didn't realize he had them on him, and didn't want to take them into the building," Pero said. "He said he had no intent to harm anyone."
District employees found the boxes around 10 a.m. and put Founders' Hall and the high school on lockdown. The buildings are located on the same campus.
Pero said the suspect will remain in police custody because of a juvenile attachment, issued because the youth did not appear for a probation program.

McKeesport Area High School on lock-down - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

It was actually part of a sale. They later connected it all to some shooting and tried to get him for aiding in attempted murder and armed robery or something. It happened a good while ago, so I can't honestly say I remember the full situation, or even if I can talk about it now.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 19,584 times
I live in McKeesport now. and the gangs are for real. the bloods came from virginia and parts of new york. and the crips came from parts of new york and california. i know that from researching, and those are facts. theres shootings all the time. but i heard the crips and bloods are cool with eachother for now. but thats not gonna last for long.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
McKeesport now sure as hell isn't the McKeesport my mother lived in back in the 1970s and told me stories about.

I was visiting a friend in the 'Port one night and while driving home, saw just about every cruiser in town speeding down Lysle Boulevard. Maybe the automatic gunfire I heard just before leaving my friend's had something to do with that.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Does McKeesport still leave its traffic lights blinking at night so people can drive through without having to stop their cars?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 AM

366 posts, read 943,943 times
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. The biggest problem with McKeesport, and many bordering areas, is that is way too big for the population. Gang wars? You have got to be kidding me...

Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
McKeesport reminds me of a miniature version of Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh