Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times

Advertisements

....and they are so beautiful I want to hug them (except for the many bees in them)
These are in front of the Galleria mall, a whole bunch of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OK, it's been awhile since I've been around flowering crabs. I just can't believe that cherries in Pittsburgh are blooming before cherries in Southern MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:56 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I definitely remember all the moderate snow days, since I am always watching to see if I need to shovel our sidewalks--many times it was possible, but then it melted (I think I shoveled twice all winter).
That was the problem with the winter for us snow lovers. It snowed, but it just warmed up into the 40's or even 50's two days after it fell.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Some individual cherry trees bloom earlier than the others. All it takes is a few warm days, and you can see blooms as early as January. I don't know why, maybe that particular tree has some sort of mutation. I used to be worried that it meant the tree was unhealthy but I've watched this one oddball tree do the same thing for years now and it seems healthy enough.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 AM

632 posts, read 1,740,133 times
I've been in Pittsburgh 8 years now, and this is the mildest winter we've had in that time. I am truly shocked to hear the "37 inches" figure - from my perspective it seemed like less than 6.

I was really amazed this year to find all of my bulb flowers starting to poke out of the ground in mid-February. My daffodils are in full bloom right now, to my calculations at least 2-3 weeks earlier than any other year. My roses and clematis are also leafing out as of last week, again at least 2-3 weeks early.

The weather report says we are supposed to be in the 70s for the next 10 days at least. I'm a big fan of warm weather, so I don't mind the situation in that respect, but from a larger perspective it doesn't seem like a good thing. I am particularly worried that we will have a really bad bug season this summer (especially the dreaded stink bugs, and I am also an arachnophobe), and that it will just get brutally hot and humid around August or so.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
I am also an arachnophobe

Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What is that?
Let me google that for you

Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 AM

9 posts, read 18,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I suppose that makes sense. True, official, accurate measurements would be of the water content I'm sure, not so much putting a stick in accumulated snow. That wouldn't be too scientific. So that's how they would measure the non-accumulating snow. A collection device would still be gathering the snow (water) and be able to measure. A precise enough one can probably measure down to hundredths of an inch; I usually see amounts down to hundredths on weather sites. Then there would be some standard conversion factor I gather to convert it into inches of snow. Of course for that to work something or someone has to be keeping track of when the precip is rain and when it's snow. Wonder if they can even automate that, might have to be a human spotter....
Here is the National Weather Service's Guide to measuring snow:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...c1pkUgJSJSNufg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh