Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:25 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Property values increased by 28.3% in McKees Rocks, according to the county. Yeah, right. That'll be the day. Fortunately, I'm in Stowe, with only a 12% increase (ha!).
I'm not sure why you're cheering. Depending on what your new assessment that small overall increase is probably a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Yes, add in a 4.21 County rate as per the article.
I actually got 4.20--I think they rounded the percentage first.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
What are the millage rates now for the city, county, and Pittsbrugh SD since they will be going down and I have no idea what the rates are currently.
Allegheny County Community Profile

I gather from that the SD hasn't set its 2012 millage yet, but I don't think they are planning to take an increase.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I actually got 4.20
Dude! How appropriate!

Because, you know, like we all wonder what they might have been smokin with this assessment deal n'at....

Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm not sure why you're cheering. Depending on what your new assessment that small overall increase is probably a bad thing.
I'm not cheering. I'm being sarcastic. There hasn't been any actual property value increase (only decline) in Sto-Rox, but the county believes so.

There isn't any common sense to this. Why aren't the properties assessed at their actual value? And why should you pay more in taxes than someone else whose property value increased at a more rapid rate? If your property did not increase in value as much as another, why should you pay more?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Because, you know, like we all wonder what they might have been smokin with this assessment deal n'at....
You're suggesting Judge Wettick ingests psychotropic substances.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:29 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Everyone forgets that the increase in assessed values is only that an increase in assessed values. Let's face some areas weren't assessed accurately so they may have seen their property increase more. Take the city for example, if they would have appealed at least some of the sales over the last decade they would have more revenue for their schools and property owners would not have been shocked at the big increases. Residents of the burbs have been dealing with this for years.

Also, if your assessment wasn't accurate for 2002 you got off easy for a decade. You should feel lucky.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Some summary results on the informal appeals:

47 percent of Allegheny County homeowners got assessment cuts after informal appeals - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
The overall effect of informal appeals is to reduce the assessed value of all property in the county by $1.6 billion. That number represents under 2 percent of the new $86.9 billion aggregate value for all taxable county real estate as a result of the reassessment effort.
Overall that would seem like an acceptable error rate, and of course it would presumably go down further if we reassessed more frequently.

However, I am curious to know exactly how those adjustments were distributed, say between different communities, by property value, and so on.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM

733 posts, read 987,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Some summary results on the informal appeals:

47 percent of Allegheny County homeowners got assessment cuts after informal appeals - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Overall that would seem like an acceptable error rate, and of course it would presumably go down further if we reassessed more frequently.

However, I am curious to know exactly how those adjustments were distributed, say between different communities, by property value, and so on.
Way back when I said I'd post when I received my informal review results. I'm sure nobody remembers that, haha, but I just got the results, and I won, which ties into Scott2187's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
If I leave my assessment as it is, my taxes will stay right about the same in 2013 as they are in 2012, based on those numbers for the city.

However, I'm appealing based on my recent purchase price and 2 appraisals that were done. Provided I succeed in the appeal, my taxes will go down... WIN
My assessment was way higher than the purchase price of my newly bought home, and I won my review based on the sales agreement alone. The final value was reduced by about $30,000 and ended up being about $3,000 more than the purchase price.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
The house that I live in, which is in Shadyside, looks as if it had its reassessment cut from over $300k down $100k! My landlord I'm sure is very happy. He was having "guilty feelings" about needing to charge more rent to cover his increased costs. He's a great guy, but probably not the best businessman. I know he charges me a good bit less than market rate. Now if only I could convince him to sell me the house for the assessed value in the $200s, we'd be in business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh