Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Thank goodness it's not BP.
Actually, BP doesn't have the track record that Shell does in terms of safety or environmental protections.

The picture you showed is of an offshore oil platform, which is quite different from a refinery, btw. Not surprising you wouldn't appreciate the difference, however, given you felt the cracker plant was going to produce saltines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yay! Nabisco's coming back!
Just messing with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:53 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The zinc plant isn't closed yet but:

"It's also an unexpected turn for the Horsehead zinc smelter, the largest in the country. In September the company announced plans to shut the Potter smelter plant by 2013 and relocate to North Carolina, along with most of its 600 workers."

Also:

"Ali Alavi, a Horsehead spokesman, said the company would have to vacate the factory site by April 30, 2014, under the terms of the option agreement with Shell."

and

"But actual construction is still years away. The company said the next steps are environmental and design studies and further economic analysis, then permitting."

That doesn't sound like it's happening very quickly then....
It always bothers me to hear to these companies relocating and taking people with them for no reason.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It always bothers me to hear to these companies relocating and taking people with them for no reason.
Oh, I'll bet the reason if you dig back is that NC threw some money their way!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Oh, I'll bet the reason if you dig back is that NC threw some money their way!
Probably. No wonder there are so many issues in our country.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:46 PM

Here's a story from September about the plant moving, no details but it mentions "incentives" from down there: Horsehead Corp. moving operation to N.C. - Timesonline.com: News

Old 03-15-2012, 07:25 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,276 times
Property values in the vicinity of the plant will probably plummet. As shown on the Gulf Coast - from Mobile to New Orleans through Beaumont, Port Arthur, Baytown, Houston, Texas City and all the way down to Corpus Christi - the property within a one or two mile radius of a chemical plant is worthless. New plants are built with a buffer zone of five miles. The corporate folk in Texas are probably laughing at the stupidity of Pennsylvanians.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,201,750 times
If you look at the site on Google earth, on that side of the river, there's really already nothing within about a mile of the site, except 376 and woods. There's nothing but woods directly across the river either.

Add me to the list of people who are pleased with this news.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Property values in the vicinity of the plant will probably plummet. As shown on the Gulf Coast - from Mobile to New Orleans through Beaumont, Port Arthur, Baytown, Houston, Texas City and all the way down to Corpus Christi - the property within a one or two mile radius of a chemical plant is worthless. New plants are built with a buffer zone of five miles. The corporate folk in Texas are probably laughing at the stupidity of Pennsylvanians.
There's not a lot of residential within a mile I'd say (little to almost none I think, very industrial along the river there, both sides) but within 2 you're already hitting the western edge of Beaver for sure. Maybe that western edge really is only 1 mile. But then, the zinc smelting plant has already been there for decades, so I'm not sure if it's worse than that? It could be, I suppose.

Not that the previously existing plant automatically justifies putting a different one there, but it's not as if they're suddenly plunking down a plant where there was not one before, in the middle of a place where lots of people were living.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 PM

106 posts, read 218,207 times
Quote:
Here's a story from September about the plant moving, no details but it mentions "incentives" from down there: Horsehead Corp. moving operation to N.C. - Timesonline.com: News
My understanding was it had a lot to do with the flexibility of the labor laws and NC being a right to work state. Forced unionism is archaic and any heavy industry that can has moved its operations south.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,357,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Well, if anyone's there they're already next to a really nasty smelting plant facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh