Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

This is purely speculation, but I know that new petrochemical plants are subject to a pretty strict set of environmental regulations. Accordingly, I wouldn't be surprised if a new petrochemical plant ended up a better neighbor than an old zinc plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I really don't think pollution is going to be a huge issue in Beaver County. It has an industrial heritage and they've been trying for years to get some industry to move in. And environmental regulations are much more stringent today than in big steel's heyday. This will have a ripple effect for the whole region, not just Beaver County.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Property values in the vicinity of the plant will probably plummet. As shown on the Gulf Coast - from Mobile to New Orleans through Beaumont, Port Arthur, Baytown, Houston, Texas City and all the way down to Corpus Christi - the property within a one or two mile radius of a chemical plant is worthless. New plants are built with a buffer zone of five miles. The corporate folk in Texas are probably laughing at the stupidity of Pennsylvanians.
I've got family in the Houston area, specifically the suburbs of Baytown & LaPorte near the Houston Ship Channel, and they enjoy their homes and neighborhoods where they live and are raising their familys and their property values have held solid. And the people in those refineries are making very good money. But yes of course there's a buffer immediately adjacent to plant facilities. But the R/E values in the vicinity are steady, even appreciating thanks to the employment opportunities brought to many by the plants in the vicinity.
So are you and the rest of your Keystone-Pipeline protester buddies already reving up your SUVs to head to this potential new site in PA to shut it down before it starts ?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
I've been tracking this plant since last Fall, and I'm kind of disappointed. I was expecting a lot more commitment from Shell. They still seem wishy washy on building. They are talking about years of studies before they even buy the land.

It's almost like this is a negotiating ploy to get the other two States to sweeten the pot.

Chesapeake announced a cryogenic pumping station in Columbiana County Ohio, and plan to have it operational in 18 months.

Oh well, at least we have two more cracker plants to look forward to.

Last edited by South Range Family; 03-16-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Probably have to ID and settle any legal or environmental issues r/t the zinc plant's contamination for the site before they agree to purchase it.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
.... Accordingly, I wouldn't be surprised if a new petrochemical plant ended up a better neighbor than an old zinc plant.
Ya know, I've been past the zinc plant hundreds of times, and I've never smelt anything...

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There's not a lot of residential within a mile I'd say (little to almost none I think, very industrial along the river there, both sides) but within 2 you're already hitting the western edge of Beaver for sure. Maybe that western edge really is only 1 mile. But then, the zinc smelting plant has already been there for decades, so I'm not sure if it's worse than that? It could be, I suppose.

Not that the previously existing plant automatically justifies putting a different one there, but it's not as if they're suddenly plunking down a plant where there was not one before, in the middle of a place where lots of people were living.
I was glad to learn it will be (if this is where it's going to end up) located somewhere that is already developed with minimal additional industrial sprawl, since we have so many former industrial sites already (or in this case, an active one).

10,000 potential new jobs is great news. I do hope that the following residential and retail/commericial sprawl is minimal so that the undeveloped woodlands are preserved as much as possible.

Everyone might have a good idea where it is, but here are a couple maps:

Last edited by Clint.; 03-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Images added

Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Still no final decision, but the planning process is moving along:

Shell moving forward with plans for proposed petrochemical plant | TribLIVE

Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
This was probably evident all along, but here's a story about tax breaks: Officials: Billion-dollar tax break for Beaver County cracker plant will be costly

Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 AM

799 posts, read 1,290,014 times
As if Shell needs a subsidy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh