Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,604,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Why do we even care about St Patrick's Day? Sort of like making a fuss about Cinco de Mayo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:21 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,969,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Why do we even care about St Patrick's Day? Sort of like making a fuss about Cinco de Mayo.
St. Pat's is cool by me--what can I say, I like seeing all the people wearing green (especially yesterday when I did the loop around the Tidal Basin to see the cherry trees and the people who weren't decked out in green were sporting plenty of pink). Pink! Green! Pink! Green! It was like a retro 80's preppie fest.

Cinco de Mayo? Margaritas and burritos, I'm there! I celebrate Chinese New Year, too. Also go to the Gay Pride Parade and have been known to celebrate National Nutella Day. No parade need for that one, of course (although a parade of dancing nutella jars does sound like fun...)

Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,105,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
St. Pat's is cool by me--what can I say, I like seeing all the people wearing green (especially yesterday when I did the loop around the Tidal Basin to see the cherry trees and the people who weren't decked out in green were sporting plenty of pink). Pink! Green! Pink! Green! It was like a retro 80's preppie fest.

Cinco de Mayo? Margaritas and burritos, I'm there! I celebrate Chinese New Year, too. Also go to the Gay Pride Parade and have been known to celebrate National Nutella Day. No parade need for that one, of course (although a parade of dancing nutella jars does sound like fun...)
Funny thing about cinco de mayo is that Mexicans don't even care about it or get off for it. Its a total money making scheme by booze companies, at least the Irish actually celebrate St Patrick's day. The big Mexican holiday is their independence day in September.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 AM

268 posts, read 383,412 times
My wife, son and I had a great time down there yesterday. Walked in the parade, then walked back to the Strip District to eat burritos and relax in the sunshine before heading home. We had nothing but a beautiful day.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,949,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Funny thing about cinco de mayo is that Mexicans don't even care about it or get off for it. Its a total money making scheme by booze companies, at least the Irish actually celebrate St Patrick's day. The big Mexican holiday is their independence day in September.
True that. Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in Puebla and pretty much no where else in the country. The average Norteamericano doesn't even know what Cinco de Mayo celebrates.

Anyway, I think the lime industry is in cahoots with the beer companies on Cinco de Mayo. That's not a Mexican thing at all, strictly for tourists (although micheladas are legit).

Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 AM

62 posts, read 109,055 times
I actually didn't even know yesterday was St. Patty's day until I got down to Sidelines for the Pens game. I was pretty much the only one not wearing green, but it was a good time. A lot of drunk people at 3 in the afternoon, but that's kinda fun to be around once a year.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times
Rode my bike into the city and enjoyed the crowds and everyone having a great time. With the amount of people dropping a ton of money in the city and getting tipsy, one would have thought there would be all kind of police issues, but seems there was about none except for some stabbing in the South Side. It was a grand success and packed! Great for the city and all. I only had one beer, but just enjoyed the crowds.

Congratulations to Pittsburgh and a great holiday atmosphere for all.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,105,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Rode my bike into the city and enjoyed the crowds and everyone having a great time. With the amount of people dropping a ton of money in the city and getting tipsy, one would have thought there would be all kind of police issues, but seems there was about none except for some stabbing in the South Side. It was a grand success and packed! Great for the city and all. I only had one beer, but just enjoyed the crowds.

Congratulations to Pittsburgh and a great holiday atmosphere for all.
I was down there for the first time ever and had a blast I was reading comments about it on the pier gazette and many who go down often said it was the best ones in years thanks to new measures.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,690,656 times
I don't know how people can get pissed as St. Patty's Day. It's just normal people having a day to party like maniacs and escape their boring lives for awhile. Nothing wrong with that!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 AM

747 posts, read 1,226,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
We do, but still got nothin on Chicago, Boston or NYC ha
Pittsburgh is second to ny for st patrick day parade attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh