Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:38 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times

Advertisements

Well, I doubt you've asked people in Colorado where Youngstown is and if they've heard of it......and yes, I know they consider us all eastern. I know at least 4 people my age, from my tiny hometown that live in Colorado, i get the impression it's very transient in many areas, especially Denver. So it seems to me there are plenty of people from back east here that have heard of Youngstown. Besides, with all the bad press we get I'm sure they've seen us on a "worst of" ranking by Forbes or the like........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Well, I doubt you've asked people in Colorado where Youngstown is and if they've heard of it......and yes, I know they consider us all eastern. I know at least 4 people my age, from my tiny hometown that live in Colorado, i get the impression it's very transient in many areas, especially Denver. So it seems to me there are plenty of people from back east here that have heard of Youngstown. Besides, with all the bad press we get I'm sure they've seen us on a "worst of" ranking by Forbes or the like........
Good grief! I just tried to interject a little perspective into this discussion.

No, I've never taken a poll about "who's heard of Youngstown?" I'm sure you know a lot more about the Denver area than I do, knowing four people from your hometown who live here, whereas my knowledge is limited to having lived here for 32 years.

Despite my lack of credentials in this area, I do know that a lot of people here have no idea where OHIO is, let alone Youngstown. Most would be hard put to name one city in Ohio. As far as Youngstown's bad press, we have more than enough out here to occupy us.

Quick, tell me the name of a city in Colorado of about the same size. (Without looking it up.) See what I mean?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-24-2012 at 01:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 03:06 PM

602 posts, read 2,033,272 times
Being a Mahoning Valley resident, let me chime in on this...

Politics-wise, of course Cleveland because we're both in Ohio.

College-wise, Cleveland, because of cheap in-state tuition, its cheaper to go to Kent, Akron, or even more locally to YSU than to Pitt, Carnegie-Mellon, etc...

Sportswise, its about 50/50 Browns & Steelers. Ohio State is significantly more popular than Penn State or Pitt. Baseball, its almost all about the Indians, although we have a decent number of Bucs fans around here. NBA of course is all about the Cavs. The few hockey fans we do have around here are mostly all Penguins fans, although I have seen a couple other Sabres fans around here besides myself.

Foodwise, I'd say Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if one will find Chip-chop ham or City Chicken in Cleveland, but you will here. Primanti Bros. is more revered here than Cleveland's Panini's. Although, when it comes to deli food, I'd say Cleveland delis like Corky & Lenny's are more well known than Kazansky's in Squirrel Hill or whatever other delis there are down there. Pizza here in Y-Town is really its own animal and not thats a bad thing!

Nightlife-wise, I'd say Pittsburgh. It seems more young people myself included go to Pittsburgh when they need big-city nightlife. Pittsburgh with all its hip little neighborhoods has a lot more going on than Cleveland nowadays which is almost dead in comparison.

Media-wise, I'd say Cleveland. We can get some Cleveland TV & Radio stations here. Pittsburgh stations don't really come in well here.

Airport-wise, I'd say Pittsburgh. Being to the west of Pittsburgh its much closer than Cleveland-Hopkins. When US Air had their hub there, even more so, as there were a lot of fairly cheap, direct flights out of there.

Accent-wise, Pittsburgh. Although without a lot of the yinzer lingo.

Culture-wise, tough to say... I think Pittsburgh has the edge with art. The Warhol Museum and Mattress Factory attract a lot of artsy folks from up this way. Concert-wise, I'd say Cleveland, but with Stage AE now in Pittsburgh that is changing a little bit. Although, I think Cleveland gets better theatre and comedy productions at Playhouse Square.

Ok, I think thats all I can think of for now, so that said, I think Cleveland still has the overall greater influence, but as Cleveland continues to decline and Pittsburgh continues to improve that is changing a lot and will continue to change.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
Quick, tell me the name of a city in Colorado of about the same size. (Without looking it up.) See what I mean?
Boulder? (Just guessing..)

Old 03-24-2012, 03:30 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
I wasn't claiming to know a lot about Denver, just interjecting that there are a lot of people from back east in Colorado, so they may have heard of Youngstown. Geez. Not sure why Colorado has to be in every discussion around here. Oh, and if people don't know where Ohio is, or Colorado for that matter they need to go back to 4th grade and learn geography.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Having heard of certain areas is different from knowing their actual population count without looking it up.

Incidentally, my experience is that many people from other regions consistently underestimate just how populous certain MSAs still are in industrial belt states like Ohio. For example, the Youngstown MSA with about 673K is more populous than any other MSA in Colorado beside the Denver MSA (edging out Colorado Springs with about 646K).

And yes, I looked that all up. Strangely enough, though, I had heard of Colorado Springs before, and even knew it was in Colorado (although maybe that doesn't take a powerful memory, given the clue in the name).

Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
Strangely enough, though, I had heard of Colorado Springs before, and even knew it was in Colorado (although maybe that doesn't take a powerful memory, given the clue in the name).
Yeah, like Kansas City, uh, Missouri.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
There's a Kansas City, Kansas, too!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Boulder? (Just guessing..)
Good guess, but no. Boulder has just under 100,000 people and is part of the Denver-Aurora-Boulder CSA which has ~ 3 million people.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Pueblo, Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh