Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I somewhat feel that people saying you need a six figure salary to live in Pittsburgh are being a little (ok very) dramatic. Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, which are shown as examples have always been the most expensive places to live in the city so what do you expect to find if you want to live in those neighborhoods. There are also many inner ring suburbs that have the feel of an urban neighborhood too if you want a more urban lifestyle.
I understand what you and steindle mean, you guys do have a point. But I guess its my own personal definition of living comfortably means. If you can lose your job and keep the lights on, break a leg without without insurance, or have you transmission blow without going into the red that's financially comfortable to me. Not to mention fixing up older Pittsburgh housing is a costly endeavor.

I realize that money is a touchy subject with people, but I personally would be in the red if disaster struck and I had a big mortgage. That's acceptable to many Americans, so different strokes I guess.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I understand what you and steindle mean, you guys do have a point. But I guess its my own personal definition of living comfortably means. If you can lose your job and keep the lights on, break a leg without without insurance, or have you transmission blow without going into the red that's financially comfortable to me. Not to mention fixing up older Pittsburgh housing is a costly endeavor.

I realize that money is a touchy subject with people, but I personally would be in the red if disaster struck and I had a big mortgage. That's acceptable to many Americans, so different strokes I guess.
I completely agree, Aqua. I have the credit and I could make a payment on a 100k mortgage, but disaster always strikes. I would rather have my 10k house paid for and no worries. If I lose my job, I can work at K mart and keep the lights on.. lol

Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Don't let the door hit you in the ... Have fun wherever you move, but I have a feeling you are not going to be happy no matter where you live. Some folks are just like that.
Co-signed.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I read your post and this was the main theme that I agree with you on. I have also noticed a lot of conformity in Pittsburgh, but is it exclusive to Pittsburgh? I don't know.

There are some things I dislike about Pittsburgh, mainly the separation of the "nice" neighborhoods from downtown, and the general topography of the city, which discourages walking between different parts of the city. When I visited Baltimore and Buffalo, there were many nice neighborhoods in the core that were integrated into the urban fabric of the city, all easily walkable to downtown. Here in Pittsburgh, all of the neighborhoods are rather chopped up, by highways, rivers, mountains, and vast stretches of ghetto (mainly, the Hill District). You could walk between Shadyside/ Oakland and Downtown, or South Side and Downtown, or the War Streets and Downtown, but it's not very practical or convenient. Walking from Allentown (Buffalo's Shadyside) to Downtown Buffalo, or Mount Vernon (Baltimore's Shadyside) to Downtown Baltimore, is a breeze, and a beautiful walk. In those cities, there is a lot more residential within walking distance to downtown, so you don't have to be wealthy to afford to live in the city center.
But I believe Baltimore and Buffalo are pretty flat. And Buffalo is probably the most miserable winter city in the country.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I concur wholeheartedly. In just the past five years the cost-of-living has been rising here simultaneously with a battered national economy. I wouldn't say you need to be making "six-figures" to enjoy living in Pittsburgh's urban core, but the real estate bargains that were available just a few short years ago have largely dried up now. If you want to buy in the South Side Flats, Mexican War Streets, Downtown, Shadyside, Oakland (outside the student ghetto), Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, or increasingly Regent Square, Highland Park, Morningside, Polish Hill, Bloomfield, and Lawrenceville you must be a decent earner. I guess I can always buy a place in New Kensington.
Or if need be, Braddock. In Atlanta we call them "urban pioneers". Then land prices rise and the longtime residents have to move out.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerMama View Post
I moved to Seattle in 2002. My husband got a job there and I followed. We were there a year and then in CA for 5 years and when his company opened a branch in Pittsburgh I said we're moving back to Pittsburgh. It wasn't until I left that I realized there is no place on earth like Pittsburgh. I mean I loved it ... but I didn't realize how much until I left! (I actually broke out in hives from head to toe when we left from the stress - I am actually allergic to being removed from Pittsburgh it turns out!)
Seattle is popular but I've heard that it is VERY expensive and you have to put up with the "Seattle Freeze". The explanation I've heard is it's part of their pioneer independent spirit out west.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Thing is, if enough people like you move into some of these "****holes," then they won't be ****holes anymore.
Like I said...be an urban pioneer.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Show me where you can buy a liveable 30k house easily walkable to downtown (not using the bus or incline). My main frustration with Pittsburgh is I can't afford downtown. Believe it or not, I have been thinking about moving to cities like Erie or York, where I could own a home downtown.
But you could live in "downtown" Lawrence or Bloomfield, for example, where there is probably enough going anyhow, compared to a small city like Erie or York, if that makes sense.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
To the OP:

It's often hard to appreciate a city until you've lived somewhere else and have a solid comparison. You should move and try out a few different cities while you're young. My guess is that you'll see Pittsburgh in a new light after a few years away.
Agreed. I wonder where he's been that the grass is so much greener.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Baltimore actually has some topographical interest... it's nothing like Pittsburgh of course. I'm surprised alleghenyangel singled out Pittsburgh's unique topography as a negative. While the turbulent topography does present challenges... Pittsburgh would not be Pittsburgh without its relentless hills. The topography defines the character of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh